X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnorth1178
    • Feb 2006

Tubes question

What is the approx life of a power tube? And, how can one tell if a tube is failing? Do they gradually lose their sharpness and sensitivity or do they go out like a light bulb -- or both? JNorth
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

The sound changes quite a bit as a tube gets older. It's not quite like a light bulb. You would probably notice it and change it before the tube ever actually fails completely. As for life span I think its sort of random..... I think its a good while though. Depending on use I would say you could go on a set of tubes for maybe a year? Preamps its a lot better you don't have to change those very often at all.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Tubes have different "modes" of failure. They can wear out gradually and lose sound quality/clarity. They could start getting scratchy/staticky sounding. Or (rarely), a filament can burn out and the the tube goes dead like a light bulb.

How long they last depends on how hard they're driven. Preamp tubes tend to last longer than power tubes.

Comment

• Coconutout
        • Oct 2006

i have a tube preamp and i was not aware that tube sq degrades over time. that might explain why the telefunken i bought a while ago weren't that immediately impressive when i first installed them. it was only marginally better than sylvanias that it replaced.

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

As the others have said...input and driver tubes last upwards of 10,000hrs. Whereas Output/power tubes usually a Quarter to a Third of that, alot depends how "Hot" they are being run (level of bias).
          Dave

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah and tubes do have a breakin time as well so when you first buy them they don't sound as good as after you put a few hours on them.

Comment

• Boombox
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Jnorth1178
              What is the approx life of a power tube?
              +/-1.5 - 2years if you listen about 5hours/week.....loud!!
              Originally posted by Jnorth1178
              And, how can one tell if a tube is failing?
              When one of my power tubes went or started fading I noticed that the one side (left e.g) was softer than the other.....swapping the tubes made the other side softer (e.g right) and also, I noticed it first with my imaging, then it sounded as if my tweeters were damaged....or blown...hope that helps
              Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"