X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ehrawn
    • Mar 2008

Two Channel Setup

I am putting together my first home audio system. After some valuable help from the folks on this forum, I decided that a two channel setup is the best fit for my needs. However, I am having a lot of trouble figuring out which speakers to go with.

A little background: the gear will mostly be used for music and TV, with occasional movie watching. I listen to a wide range of music (from hip-hop to jazz and everything in between). My budget is about $2K, but any money saved here will be applied to a new HDTV. A also have some space restrictions because of the room layout: all of the AV equipment will be placed a 5' W x 3.5' D x 8' H cubby in the middle of the long wall of a 14' x 20' room.

I am leaning toward an integrated amp for their general quality to price ratio, but am still considering stereo receivers. After some online research, I picked out the NAD C325BEE. It seems to have consistently solid reviews, and the right price for my budget. With that in mind, I went to a couple dealers to check out some speakers. So far, I've looked at a few combinations from B&W, Klipsch, DefTech, Arcam, and Totem. The Totem Arros are the clear front runner for my listening tastes. Plus, the cabinets are gorgeous: beautifully crafted, but small enough to disappear in the room (large floor speakers would overpower the room).

There are a couple of concerns I have about the Arro.
    1) The dealer recommended a larger amp to drive them (Cambridge Audio Azur 740A), which totally blows my budget.
    2) The price is too much for me to afford a sub. While the Arro would be fine for most of my music collection, I'm afraid they would lack the punch for something like the Roots.

I am looking for recommendations on speakers that would allow me to enjoy a wide range of music, but meet my budget and placement restrictions? Bookshelf, satellite, and tower speakers are all on the table. There isn't a good variety of authorized dealers in my area, so I'm willing to consider direct-to-consumer companies like Axiom and AV123. Do I need to rethink my amp choice (the Outlaw RR2150 is intriguing)?Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated.
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

I don't know where you're located , but can you audition Paradigm speakers? A pair of Studio 20s, the Outlaw Audio receiver , and a sub would be around your budget. The Paradigms are very efficient (91 db) , and can be driven pretty hard with a modestly powered amp. The NAD should also give satisfactory SPLs w/Paradigms , and sound good. The Studio 40s will deliver surprising bass for their size , and you may find you don't need a sub with them.

You may have guessed I have a pair of Paradigms (Studio 60v.3). I love 'em.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• ehrawn
      • Mar 2008

No Paradigm dealers in Hawaii. I was looking at their Monitor line earlier and they gave me the number to a dealer in CA. Without auditioning them first, I would be a little nervous about buying speakers without a good return policy.

Comment

• markov
        • Sep 2007

You may want to consider PSB speakers as well. They are often paired with NAD electronics and have a solid reputation for price-to-performance ratio. A quick check showed 4 authorized dealers in Hawaii. They have a few models you may want to consider in the alpha and image series and all their MSRP's are listed on their website: www.psbspeakers.com Rumor has it that they will release a new series sometime this year that will have alot of the the look of upscale sychrony line in a more budegt price.

Comment

• ehrawn
          • Mar 2008

Thanks, Markov, I'll check out PSB. I'm not total set on NAD, though. Does anyone else have a good suggestion at my price point?

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

The Arros are great speakers and unless you're going to play at ear-bleeding levels or have a large space to fill, I think the NAD would be sufficient. I would also consider the Outlaw receiver as it offers a great amp section (it would power the Arros with no trouble) and should you want to add a sub, now or later, it has a sub output and built-in bass management (and they are among the best for analogue bass management--research their now discontinued ICBM for more information). In fact, the more I think about it, the Outlaw receiver and Arros make for a great combination (I may even go that route myself as I plan to build a 2 channel setup--but only in a couple of years).

Comment

• Blindamood
              • Sep 2003

For the integrated amp, I would also look at the Onkyo A-9555. This has received good reviews (incl. Stereophile), and good acclaim on other forums. I bought one last fall and love it. The price is right too -- it can be had for $499 (list is $799) from several online retailers. It's a digital amp, and rated at 85wpc.

I paired this recently with a pair of Epos ELS-3 speakers. I went with these primarily due to size restrictions, but they sound wonderful. If you're going for looks as well, Epos has other speakers in their lineup that are definitely nicer looking. And they can be purchased online.
              Brad

Comment

• Martyn
                • Feb 2006

You could look for a used Arcam AVR (an AVR200 just sold on Audiogon - price was $650) and spend the rest on speakers. You'd have an excellent two-channel audio system that would also work well in HT. You could sell the AVR in a couple of years for what you paid for it.

Comment

• km371
                  • Sep 2009

I recently purchased a pair of SLS Encore Loudspeakers from AV123.
                  I can't believe these sell for only $365.00 A PAIR,shipped!.
                  Before you ask, I've been an audiophile for over 25 years. I've had some great loudspeakers ,(and some not so great,)in my listening room,i.e Proac,Paradigm,Totem,etc. These SLS Encores' cover about 95% of the same sonic ground as the big boys, but cost about 1/3 of the price. The cabinet enclosures are first-rate in appearance & construction.They LOOK like they would sell for $800.00-$1000.00! God knows, I've paid a lot more over the years,and gotten a lot less perfomance for my money. Check out the web site.
                  The sound? As I said before, pretty impressive. The soundstage is wide and deep. Plenty of depth & imaging. Bass response is really good. Not the kind of bass you'd get from a subwoofer,but much better than I expeced.
                  Again, all in all pretty impressive for the price. I may never go back to the high-ticket speakers again..

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"