X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markov
    • Sep 2007

Apple TV as Music Server

Does anyone use or thought about using an Apple TV as a music server? For $329 for 160 Gigs of storage, an optical audio out, and a decent interface (iTunes) it seems like this would be one of the better cost/performance solutions available to add a WAV or lossless music library to a HiFi setup?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Add in a nice 1GB NAS or similar that it has access to and I think you've got a nice plan of action there :T
    Jason

Comment

• BasementJax
      • Jan 2007

If you're comfortable with leaving iTunes running on a PC somewhere in your house and you already have a wireless network going, an Airport Express is also a good low cost (music only) choice as long as you use the digital out:

Usually, a Stereophile "Follow-Up" follows up (duh!) a full review of the component in question.

Comment

• Crimson
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Think of it is an iPod with video out i.e. you sync it with a machine running iTunes, or do what I do which is have it receive a stream from an iMac music server (as my collection is much larger than 160 GB). Also, you cannot link directly to a NAS. I do, however, have about 10,000 digital photos stored on it, and really enjoy browsing YouTube with it. I haven't used it yet to purchase/rent/view any movies with.

And, as has been mentioned, a cheaper solution if you only need music is the Airport Express. The only downside is controlling your music if the machine running iTunes is physically distant from the Airport Express. I use two of these with a Macbook for control, streaming from the same above-mentioned iMac music server.
        Q.

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

i was about a few days away from ordering an apple tv, but discovered that my PS3 could do the same thing streaming data either from my PC or media server external hard drive.

and I like the user interface of the PS3 better than the apple tv's ... (i tested the interface by using my wife's mac laptop to play music using itunes)

no need for conversion of files, it just streams whatever is on my PC (pics, music and vids)

Comment

• markov
            • Sep 2007

Interesting... Thanks for the replies. I liked the ability of having the music hard wired into my system via optical digital so that it could be converted by a higher quality DAC than say in an ipod but I hadn’t considered streaming it wirelessly (I made and early attempt at this with USB 900 MHz based system with poor results). How is the quality of the streamed music vs. cd quality (assuming streaming wav) and how often to you experience interference or drop outs?

Comment

• Radec
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by mike c

and I like the user interface of the PS3 better than the apple tv's ... (i tested the interface by using my wife's mac laptop to play music using itunes)

(pics, music and vids)
              Did you use the remote with Front Row or did you just stream the music using iTunes? The actual apple TV interface although based on iTunes is really different. Actually, it is closer to the interface you find on an iPod.

The Apple TV interface is really simple to use. I had my XBox streaming music ever since it was available and not once saw my wife use it. We had the Apple TV for about 2 weeks when one day I come home to Garth Brooks blaring on the stereo (i am not a country fan btw ) I asked how she did it and her response was that when she turned it on it looked like her IPod so she just selected the artist she wanted and hit play. I really doubt she could have figurd out how to make the Xbox do that.

Comment

• Crimson
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Here's my configuration: NAS drives hardwired (gigabit ethernet) to an Airport Extreme (802.11n) and iMac, then streamed wirelessly to the Apple TV, which uses optical out to an external dac. There is more than enough bandwidth to handle the wireless stream (all ALAC and AIFF files) and I've never experienced a dropout. BTW, the latest firmware upgrade for the ATV (v2.0) is quite different and does not resemble Front Row anymore.

This is the same configuration I use with the two Airport Express units.

(FWIW, IMO, when ripping cds to lossless/uncompressed files with error-correction enabled, the resulting files sound better then super-priced transport/dac combos when fed directly from the computer to some of the latest USB dacs).
                Q.

Comment

• P1et
                  • Jan 2006

I am actually about to buy an Apple TV. Even if I get the 40GB version, I don't actually need to store the music on the box, right? Doesn't it just stream it via the WLAN to the Apple TV?

Comment

• Crimson
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by P1et
                    I am actually about to buy an Apple TV. Even if I get the 40GB version, I don't actually need to store the music on the box, right?
                    Right.
                    Q.

Comment

• P1et
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Crimson
                      Right.
                      Then was is the point of getting the larger internal hard drive?

Comment

• Radec
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by P1et
                        Then was is the point of getting the larger internal hard drive?
                        I'd say not having to have your PC on would be the greatest advantage. Also, depending on how fast your PC is you may bog it down a bit using them both at the same time. I notice it is a bit difficult for me to play a game on the PC and have my kids streaming a video into the LR; my game gets a bit choppy.

Comment

• plevin
                          • Dec 2008

Questions about compression and apple tv, music server etc.

I saw your reply in the DAC/Apple TV/Server thread. I want to copy all my CDs into itunes in a lossless format. Your post referenced ALAC, AIFF and uncompressed files with error-corrections. Is there a single format that is most recommended?
                          I would most likely copy them onto a macmini hard drive and airport express to send to Apple TV connected to stereo receiver (at first without DAC), and would keep it backed up on Apple Idisc so i can access music at work computer and on iphone (I hope).
                          Just wanted some feedback on which compression to use. I have less than 100 CDs. Over time, I want to delete all the songs except the ones i like.
                          Thanks.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

We've got a great discussion going on about that over in another thread in "Tower of Power". I just got done copying all my CD's in Apple Lossless, and am about to make duplicates of everything in either AAC or MP3, too. Maximum bit rate and minimum compression when I make the copies, 320KBps to keep max audio fidelity.
                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• cdika17
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by mike c
                              i was about a few days away from ordering an apple tv, but discovered that my PS3 could do the same thing streaming data either from my PC or media server external hard drive.

no need for conversion of files, it just streams whatever is on my PC (pics, music and vids)

Can the PS3 and a mac do this as well? Or just PC?
                              Chase

---------------------------------------------------
                              Rotel RSP-1570, Rotel RMB-1575, B&W N805's, B&W Nautilus HTM2, APC H15, Mitsubishi HC7000 PJ, 110" Carada Brilliant White, SVS PCUltra 13, SVS AS-EQ1 Subwoofer EQ, Wadia 170i transport. Stay tuned, HTPC build coming!

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                We've got a great discussion going on about that over in another thread in "Tower of Power". I just got done copying all my CD's in Apple Lossless, and am about to make duplicates of everything in either AAC or MP3, too. Maximum bit rate and minimum compression when I make the copies, 320KBps to keep max audio fidelity.
                                Chris, I'll head on over to ToP again, but I'll say it here.... I went with 320k MP3 when convering my AL files. I tried AAC but they wouldn't stream to my PS3. The MP3s do and work great.
                                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"