• Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thoughts on the good old CD from the music business

Music industry: CD remains best form of music

By ANGELA PACIENZA

TORONTO (CP) -- Don't be tempted to get rid of your CD library just yet.

Despite the soaring popularity of digital music players such as IPod, Rio and Nomad, the shiny discs remain the only way to keep an audio library safe in the years ahead, executives in town for Canadian Music Week said Thursday.

That's because the online phenomenon of the 99-cent song is still facing a major hurdle -- standardized digital formats.

"It's a huge problem," says Josh Green, a media analyst from Jupiter Research in New York, following a panel discussion on the state of the music industry.

"Buying CDs is still the best way to get music these days."

Aside from offering the best sound quality, the "old-fashioned" CD ensures the owner will be able to use the content in various formats, whether on a computer, digital music device or cellphone.

Online music stores sell songs in their own built-in format, what insiders call Digital Rights Management or DRM.

The popular IPod player, for example, does not support Windows Media Audio (WMA) files -- the format sold on places at online stores like puretracks.com.

Likewise, a Rio, Creative or Nomad player won't play Advanced Audio Coding (AAC files), which is what the ITunes music store sells.

That could pose a problem if a music fan wants to buy an exclusive track from an online music store but doesn't own a player that is compatible.

In that instance, they'd be lured to an unsanctioned site like Kazaa, notes Green.

In addition, those who replace their players down the road with the latest music gadget may not be able to access their existing digitized collection.

They would have to re-rip their entire CD collection or worse, buy it again if it was all bought online.

Although there are some technical tricks to manoeuvre around the problem, Greens says average Joe and Jane consumer could be left with a messy, time-consuming problem.

"Right now the only way to get digital music that can be completely transportable (between devices) is to buy a CD and rip it onto your computer, or (download) from peer-to-peer sites," he said.

"You can do with that file as you wish. You can put it on an IPod, you can put it on a Rio, you can put it on a Nomad."

It's a problem not exclusive to the music industry.

Digital cameras, for example, don't all use the same memory cards. An Xbox game won't work in a Playstation 2.

And, let's face it, no one wants to be caught owning one type of music file while everyone else owns another. Remember how frustrated Beta folks were when the whole neighbourhood had VHS?

Industry analysts say the issue will work itself out as companies eventually form partnerships with one another.

But in the meantime, the "inter-operability" of players and stores is slowing down the music business, says Graham Henderson, president of the Canadian Recording Industry Association.

"We gotta find a way to get AAC playing on Zen Creative (MP3 players) and WMA's playing on IPods," he said, following his keynote address to delegates.

"It's holding us back."

He told delegates that "the CD continues to be the mainstay of our business."

"With all of the focus devoted in the media to digital . . . the CD just plods on," he said.

The issue could play itself out sooner than we think via the cutthroat business world.

In recent weeks there have been rumours that some labels want to hike distributor prices to the online stores. A hike could see prices raised above 99-cent to $1.49 which could drive business away from some of the smaller players. That action could eventually see mergers between stores.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Personally I think that's a load of hog wash...sure interoperability would be nice but to say its really having an impact on the digital revolution and that CD's are still a consumers best option is a thinly veiled attempt to get people to buy more CD's vs downloading them. Now i'll be the first to agree that CD's are a better option for those that care about audio quality esp. if you're looking at SACD or DVD-A but for the majority I honestly don't think its a factor.

Comment

• JesseRJ
      • Nov 2003

I am that rare breed, a classical music lover. I believe in having the best audio equipment you can afford. I find that 90% or more of classical music is never performed live in concert halls so that CDs are absolutely vital in order to listen to all the music I like. Every other medium does not have very good sound so except for pop music of all kinds, I do not want it.
      Jesse Joseph

Comment

• Radec
        • Jan 2005

I love my Ipod/Itunes and hapily give up a bit of sound quality for convenience. Being able to stream my entire library (roughly 30GB) to any room in my house via a simple wireless connection is something I would never give up. Also, call me a bit lazy but being able to pick one or 2 songs off an album for 99 cents a piece while sitting at my computer is as they say "priceless" :T
        That being said, I still have my CD's handy when I want to sit and enjoy a long period of uninterrupted music listening....there is definitely a difference between streaming the music from my PC and the actual CD. (At least for now )

Comment

• Frustrated
          • Jan 2005

Minority

I'm probably in the minority of people who rarely buys CDs anymore. It's gotten to the point where bands put out CDs for the hell of it. Long gone are the days when most of the CDs,LPsor tapes were worth buying. IMHO when a CD comes out, it usually has one or two good songs; the rest is just filler :M Artists don't put effort into making an album anymore. That's what is killing the music industry.

Comment

• Foxman
            • Jan 2003

Gee you sound.....frustrated... LOL sorry I couldnt resist.

I don't buy that much music other than multichannel, unless I am buyin a remastered cd. I personaly prefer the cd to say IPOD or whatever, but it isnt nearly as convieninat.
            IMO

My Movies
            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• NMyTree
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Frustrated
              I'm probably in the minority of people who rarely buys CDs anymore. It's gotten to the point where bands put out CDs for the hell of it. Long gone are the days when most of the CDs,LPsor tapes were worth buying. IMHO when a CD comes out, it usually has one or two good songs; the rest is just filler :M Artists don't put effort into making an album anymore. That's what is killing the music industry.

I agree with you completely, David.

But I do continue to buy CDs, as well as DVD-A and SACD.

Most of what I currently buy, is not Rock. It's all kinds of different genras; Jazz, Classical, New Age, World Music, Country, Folk etc...etc; or some kind a fusion of all the above mentioned.

The Rock CDs I do buy are older albums that I once had on LP, or albums that I have been meaning to buy for quite a while. Or Remasters of albums I love.

I don't buy any of the current Rock/Pop flavors of the month.

Whenever bands/artists like...... Pearl Jam, Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Jackson Browne, Gordon Lightfoot, Roger Waters (13 years since a new album....and I'm still waiting for a new one), Neil Finn, Peter Yorn, Tom Petty, Angie Aparo, Goo Goo Dolls, Collective Soul, Edwin McCain-put out new albums I'm always eager to hear or buy right away.

But as you can see, none of these bands are what can be considered popular current bands.

I'm of the opinion that the "Big" Record Labels no longer nurture bands and let them develope artistically. Everything is so formulamatic and contrived.

They don't seem to want independant thinking, creative personalities. They seem to want cookie-cutter, conveyer-belt "Yes Sir" artists. The ones who will follow the same formula....for 6 albums, and surprizingly.........get dumped by the very labels who were telling them what they are allowed to write and record- because they're no longer selling. Geeeeee...what a shock.

I guess independant thinking, creative personalities are a pain in the ass for the labels, and require too much freedom. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's a shame.

Of course the labels will blame everyone and everything else for CDs not selling. Most bands sound exactly like ..........every other band from the last 3 years. Who am I kidding, most rock bands sound exactly like every other band from the last 15 years. Recording quality and/or production quality is pathetic on most rock CDs. Yet, the prices of CDs have been ridiculously high, since the formats introduction, and continue to get worse despite what some say.

But yeah, it's all the downloaders who are to blame :roll:

Maybe if they would put out some quality bands/artists and some quality music, improve recording values and the cd production values, lower prices to a level where most kids and adults could afford to buy them on a regular basis; then maybe they would see huge increase in sales.

I apologize to all the "Big" Labels if I'm trying to talk too much common sense. I know you guys (the Labels) don't comprehend ....common sense. :roll:

Sorry about the rant.
              Tony

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"