X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitjv
    • Dec 2007

Rotel RB1080 Question

I plan to pair a set of Paradigm Studio 100 v.4 main speakers with a tube preamp & Rotel RB1080 power amp. As a source, I will likely go with either a Rega Apollo or Cambridge Audio 840C CD player. Not having the opportunity to audition many other power amps with this setup, I would appreciate your thoughts regarding the synergy of this combination.

Truth be known, I have received several comments from people who claim that Rotel is too analytical sounding. And that I could do better elsewhere.

Thank you.
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

You need to listen and decide for yourself. I doubt you can beat the 1080 for the money. (I use an adcom 5500 - similar specs, but it has distortion lights, and came up first locally used). If you think the Rotel will sound too analytic before you buy it, there is a good chance it will in fact sound too analytic. If so, splurge and buy a nice McIntosh or Classe amp with similar power specs.
    Any decent 200 wpc amp will be fine - spend your time and money on room treatments - just my opinion.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Adding a tube pre to my otherwise all SS system made a ‘world’ of difference.
      But as in all cases, it is synergy within the system that is key to getting the ‘sound’ you are searching for.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• twitch54
        • Apr 2006

Well not knowing your musical tastes, listening room acoustics, I too will give a general answer and say it should be fine.

FWIW, I at one time had a Rotel RB-1090 paired up with a ARC LS-16 pre-amp and was quite happy. But if you tend to think the Rotel sound is a little "reserved" then I woud lean towards a CJ or Cary tube pre-amp for example.
        Dave

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Rotel I have found to be really musical, but it all depends on your "source" and "processor." This will really make more difference than the amp that's pushing the speakers (as long as the amp has enough power, which the 1080 does).

I will say that Rotel does have a tendancy to "round off" the high end which makes it perfect for a "brighter" type of speaker (ie b&w and Paradigm).
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• DL86
            • Sep 2005

I used to power the studio 100v3's with a rotel rb-1080 and it sounded quite good as I remember although it was only with a yamaha receiver as the pre amp lol. I now power them with a shanling cd player and rb-1090 which is a large improvement. However this is due to the shanling cd player acting as the source and pre amp for the 1090 and not only due to the fact that im running a 1090 instead of a 1080. I did try the 1080 under the shanling and there was a slight difference between the 2 amps in sound quality mainly the sound stage is quite bigger with the 1090 and better seperatation i suppose, I do however enjoy the extra power reserves of the 1090 when playing movies and running 90% volume on my shanling lol. I do not find my system sounding analytical whatever that means, if anything it sounds nuetral not sure where people came up with the idea that paradigm sounds bright possibly if used with the wrong electronics? But sure the 1080 with tube electronics such as in my case the cd player/preamp works a treat with the 100's.

Comment

• kitjv
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by twitch54
              Well not knowing your musical tastes, listening room acoustics, I too will give a general answer and say it should be fine.
              Sorry for the omission. I general listen to jazz - both instrumental & vocals, so a somewhat detailed speaker is important (hence, the big Paradigms). However, the warm integrated edge that the tube preamp provides seems to add the right touch.

The listening room is rather large - about 30' X 40' w/ 10' ceiling & full carpeting. There are several 8' X 3' windows & a large 18' leather U-shaped sofa.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

Originally posted by kitjv
                Sorry for the omission. I general listen to jazz - both instrumental & vocals, so a somewhat detailed speaker is important (hence, the big Paradigms). However, the warm integrated edge that the tube preamp provides seems to add the right touch.

The listening room is rather large - about 30' X 40' w/ 10' ceiling & full carpeting. There are several 8' X 3' windows & a large 18' leather U-shaped sofa.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
                Nice room!!! The Rotel would be fine. I would try to get my hands on a used 1090. That way when you want to bump it up a little you would have no issues.
                Greg

Comment

• soundhound
                  • Mar 2004

I second what Greg said.
                  The 1080 is my favorite of the 2, BUT, in a room that size you may want the extra snort the 1090 will provide.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"