X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lastexit
    • Feb 2011

How Important is Rotel Synergy?

Hi folks,

Have you ever incorporated components of different brands into your Rotel system? If so, what did you change and how much did it affect the sound of your system? Do you feel it was for the better or for the worse?

What I've gathered from various forums indicate that it's a good idea to match the amplification to one manufacturer, in this case an RB-1070 and RC-1070. This is beneficial not only for impedance purposes but it also says something for brand synergy. But what about the source component? I have the matching 1072 with the above gear and have enjoyed the sound for nearly four years now. With all of the digital craze these days, I'm thinking of experimenting with a different source. Would it be wise to stick with a Rotel player instead of using a different brand's source? How big of an influence does the 1072 contribute to my system's overall synergy?
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

I have a Rotel RSX-1056 receiver used as a pre-processor and initially had it mated with a Rotel RB-1080 power amplifier. I replaced the Rotel amplifier with an Audio Refinement Multi-5 power amplifier and I experienced what I consider an upgrade in sound, even though I downgraded the power rating from 200W/channel to 125W/channel.

Although synergy is not to be totally ignored, I think many modern solid state sources, preamps and power amps can be mixed and matched. In my case it was a positive experience due to a great design and higher quality parts in the new amplifier. This is not to disparage Rotel quality which is very good value equipment for the money, but there are certainly better components out there, usually at a higher cost.

Because I use a computer music server for my main source, needless to say it is a non-Rotel source and have fed it into several different non-Rotel DACS. I would say if you find a non-Rotel disc player with performance and features you like, such as the Oppo BD-95 universal player, go for it.

Steve

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

The biggest synergy for can get amongst components is the speakers as well as their placements in the system. Many Rotel people like B+W speakers teemed up with the Rotel gear but other than when I auditioned their flagship model, I don't particularly care for the B+W sound when paired up with Rotel gear. However, that's just a personal preference. I find the B+W's sound too 'studio monitor' like and not live and dynamic enough. I would kill to spin a few discs through my Rotel with the Oppo BDP-95 just to see how it sounds!. Unfortunately, you've gotta' buy the damn thing to do that though....and it costs a thousand bucks!! OUCH !.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• lastexit
        • Feb 2011

Thanks for the help guys. I hear it all the time from people who replace a component with the accompanying brand and begin to say everything snaps into focus. Stuff like Bryston synergy, Arcam synergy, etc. I guess Rotel has a certain synergy of its own.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"