X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayman_1975
    • Jul 2006

gonna buy an amp

Hi all. I am in the market for a good amp to add to my Arcam ARV300. I was trying to snag an Anthem MCA-5 on Ebay but got scooped last minute. I think now I will focus on a strickly 2 channel amp as that is what I am most wanting to improve upon. My set-up is as follows. Arcam AVR300, Arcam DV27+ ,coax for movies, analog for music. Polk audio Monitor 70's front, CS2 center and Monitor 40's surround. Sony sub.

I am very happy with HT but feel that 2 channel is lacking a little punch. I used to have a Rotel RB1070 powering the fronts with a Denon 3805 serving as pre, but sold both to finance the Arcam. I believe the soundstage and imaging has vastly improved but doesn't have the balls that the Rotel added.

I was looking at the Arcam P90 naturally to best match my gear but it only puts out 90wpc. My speakers are quite power hungry and don't really shine until they are properly fed. The Rotel I had put out 130wpc and powered my speaks quite well although i felt they could use a little more yet.

Does anyone have any experience with the P90? Does it have more jam then the specs show? Has anyone matched any other brands with Arcam gear and had good results?

My budget is around $800-$1000. Looking to buy used.

I would also consider a three channel amp as well as long as I am not compromising 2 channel performace I could otherwise achieve with a 2 channel amp in the same price range.

Space is also an issue. I have about 9 inches total clearance in my rack for this new amp.
  • fvoelling
    • Jul 2004

You may want to check out emotiva.com, I bought their RPA-1 (2-channel amp, 200W/ch) recently, great amp at a great price. It's currently out of stock, though (must have been popular).

Height is six inches, that would give you three inches of clearance for ventilation.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"