X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John LaCava
    • Sep 2002

Rate the following 2 channel setups

Hi all,

A friend has £3000 +/- £200 to spend on a kick ass 2 channel set-up, and since she doesn't known anything about hifi, she has put me incharge of building the system for her. I lept at this oppurtunity to put together a few scenarios that I think represent the best possible sound for the money, so I'm asking ya'll for oppinions etc.

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of Arcam. I used to own an Alpha 8 SE CD player and frankly it was the best I ever owned, I still regret selling it. I currently own a DV88+ DVD player, the picture is awesome and plays CD better than any DVD player and most CD players I've owned (except for perhaps the alpha 8se). I'm also a Rotel owner, I think Rotel can be great sometimes and mediocre others, it just depeneds on the product. I own the RSP 1066 which is huge on this forum. I love the two channel sound, and the DACs give excellent CD decoding. Since I don't use a sub I don't have problems with the bass management you might have read about around here, but the fact that I may have a problem in the future does sort of piss me off, I'm hoping rotel will sort it and I have yet to determine if it even affects my unit (apparently someone claims to have a non-affected european model :LOL: ) but otherwise the RSP-1066 is awesome. Lastly I have gone to great lengths testing speaks including B&W (603 series), Monitor Audio (silver series), Cyrus (CSL 70), and others in the £600 to £1000 price range. To be honest I have not been terribly impressed (OK the Cyrus CSL 70 were actually pretty impressive, but the funky stands were like an extra £300). None of the speakers I tested could hold a candle to the speakers I currently use the Mackie HR824s, these are crystal clear, absolutely linear frequency response with no coloration at all, louder than an earth quake with absolutely no distortion, and individually bi-ampded with 100w to HF driver and 150w to LF driver. For ~£1100!!!! Now I'm not saying there are no passive speaker that can compete, but the price you'd have to pay for a combo amp + passive speaker setup to achieve the same quality is more than double I'm sure. So for my dollar the Mackies ARE IT.

Setup 1:
    CD Player> Arcam FMJ CD23T
    PreAmp> Rotel RC1090 (balanced out a plus here, as speakers in this setup will accept)
    Speakers> Mackie HR824 (Active bi-amped, 250W/channel, Ultra flat frequecy response)

Setup 2:
    CD player> Arcam FMJ CD23T
    Integrated Amp> Arcam FMJ A32 (integrated amp 100w/channel 8ohm)
    Speakers> B&W CDM 1NT or Cyrus CSL 70s (anyone have an oppinion on the B&Ws?)

Setup 3:
    CD player> Cyrus CD7Q
    Preamp> Cyrus aCA7.5
    Speakers> Mackie HR824

Setup 4:
    CD player> Cyrus CD7Q
    Integrated Amp> Cyrus 8
    Speakers> Cyrus CLS 70s

I personally tend to favor either Setup 1, which I think will be the tops at this price range, or setup 4 which will also be incredible I'm sure. I have less experience wil Cyrus equipment, although I have demoed a few units before, but all indications are that they kick but.

Please offer comments and suggestions. I'm not really interested in 1000 alternatives because we all know there are sooo many possible setups, what I'd rather hear are suggestions on what you think of the setups I suggested.

Cheers all,
    John
  • dsmith
    • Jan 2003

So, John, you want to impress your girlfriend, eh? LOL

Seriously, the Arcam FMJ32 CD player has gotten great reviews, and I think you will want to stick with it. Not familiar with Cyrus or the Mackie speakers, unless these are the Mackie studio monitors. Studio monitors are designed for nearfield listening, and don't always sound all that great in a residential environment as they don't have a wide soundfield. B&W is always a safe bet, but the new Wharfedale Pacifica has gotten great reviews. I assume ATC speakers are beyond yoru budget? Keep in mind active speakers require power outlets nearby, or an extension cord. I would not count on the active speakers having the best amps you can find.

Here is my recommended two-channel setup:

Speakers - Digital Phase AP-2.1 (floor standing) or AP-.7 (bookshelf) These are my speakers, of course
    Innersound ESL amp - I am using this amp with my AP-2.1s
    Innersound Line Stage preamp - I don't have it but from reviews it is top notch, and based on my experience with the ESL amp it should be a great preamp.
    Cary Audio Designs 306/200 CD player and DAC - this is the one I would buy if I had $5,000 US to spend. The 303/200 is close in performance and costs $3,000. Both have a digital input to use the DACs with other digital sources. The Arcam FMJ 32 would be a leading candidate also because of its Ring DAC.

I don't know if any of this stuff is available in Britain, but you can check with their website for distributors.

The best bet is to let the lady listen to these setups, or at least the speakers if she can - after all it is her ears that will need to be happy.

Good luck.

Don

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

I like active speakers, so I would go Option 1 of those you've mentioned. Also I've never liked any speaker made by Mission (Cyrus) so that would make the choice even easier.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

John, can't help you on the speakers, but the Arcam FMJ32 and the Rotel are both fine units, so system # 1 would be my choice based on those two components.

Let's see, 3K pounds would be what? About $4,000 US?

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• John LaCava
          • Sep 2002

David: £3000 is more like $4770. Prices are high in the UK, in many cases we get robbed compared to you guys across the pond.

Don: The Mackie speakers are indeed thier near/mid field studio monitors, HR824. These particular models have a very wide soundstage compared to others of the breed and make for excellent off axis as well as on axis listening. I'd highly recommend them for all but the largest living-room setups. My UK living room in my apartment smallish by US standards, but medium sized by European standards, ~10' X 14'. I'd say the room is a bit too small to really appreciate these monitors and I look forward to getting more space for them. Its not that I'll sit any further away from them, I won't, about 10 feet back from them is just about perfect. But I just don't have the space to get them positioned symentrical and they have very little breathing room away from the wall which means I need to attenuate the bass by 1 lvl (-3db I think) to keep it from getting too low heavy. I know if I had more room to work with the positioning I could improve the stereo imaging and bass response, but even as they are, with suboptimal positioning, they sound much better than the other passive/amp combos I tried in the same ~£1100 price range. The clarity and control of these exhibit is breathe taking and I find the dynamics (high highs layered elegantly over low lows) simply astonishing. I added these other setups to give her some points of comparison, since ultimately it is her money, I assure you it will be her ears that have the final say, but I plan on having a lot of fun just the same! I'll take a look into some of the stuff you mentioned.

Steve: Funny you should say that because I've never liked any mission speakers either, nor did I know the Cyrus' were made by mission. I thought that compared to the B & W DM 603 S3 floorstanders the Cyrus CSL 70 were far more tight and controlled. The S3 had sloppy base and under-pronouced highs, I thought. Though what I considered sloppy others might find ambient . The CSL 70 were perhaps too hyped on the highs and therefore very crips, but the bass was both deep and controlled I was surprised since its more or less a glorified bookshelf. I will say that the S3 had superior preformance on Vocal heavy material with great handling in the mids, but I scored the CSL 70 better over all due to impact, control, and dynamics. The monitor audio silver 8i, were probably the most well rounded speakers in my trial able to preform convincingly on all my source material which included Jazz, Rock, Dub, and World. I only mention these ones because they were the passives that made my short list before I opted for the active Mackies. FYI I also use the Tannoy Active Reveal monitors as rear channels in my 4 speaker setup, Active center channel are few. The Tannoys are good as rears but of little other use, not enough bass or handling to go as mains, but respectable for the price. I'm looking at the Mackie HR 626 as a center, but its too expensive right now and I need a bigger living room to justify.

Keep em coming.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"