• JPHIL
    • Jul 2004

Cambridge VS NAD

Hi,

I have audition both system.

Cambridge 540A
    Cambridge 540C
    Rega R3

this is the system I prefer for the crisp and clear mid's and high's. Also the Simaudio Moon i-5 was superb, but much higher and not that much difference in sound to my ears.

I went to audition a NAD system last week.

NAD 355BEE
    NAD 525BEE
    Rega R3

To my ears, it lacks a little bit of detail and clarity compare to the Cambridge. But, at this place, the senior tech (24 years) said that NAD have better built quality than Cambridge.

Can someone compare the inside of both...any ideas?

Thanks!
    Denon AVR 3805
    Front: Canton LE190
    Center: Energy AC-300
    Surrounds: Energy e:XL
    Sub: Canton AS50C
    Image: Sony 57'' HD
    TV#2: Panasonic TC32LZ800
    Cablebox: Pace 551HD
    PS3 80 gig
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Did the guy sell both? I am naturally sceptical when the the guy who sells brand A says it is better/worse than brand B that he does not sell. You probably said you like the sound of Cambridge better so his only come back was to claim better build.

I still own an old (10 years plus) NAD T713 receiver and its build/reliability has been 100%, could not comment on Cambridge but I have read both good and bad about both. I would buy based on the sound but I would be very careful to minimise the 100 different reasons that system A can sound better than system B - or at least realise the everything from the room to each and every component will change the listening experience (even cables - most dealers will use decent cables in a demo). Home demo may be out of the question at this price point but at least try and hear them with the same speakers (preferably yours or the ones you have your eye on)
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I've seen very good build quality with Cambridge Audio, owned the 640c, 640c V2, and now the 840c. All of them have had excellent build quality and never had a single problem with any of them.

I think the CA products are a little bit more of a brighter sound to them where the NAD is a more laid back or softer of a sound. It just depends on your ears which sounds better.

But I would say do not worry about the build quality of Cambridge Audio.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I have a friend that has a Nady cd player and hates it... He heard Bills (Wkhanna) and loved it though which is a Cambridge Azur 640C V1. So Dan you did end up getting the 840?

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by JPHIL
          Cambridge 540A
          Cambridge 540C
          Rega R3

this is the system I prefer for the crisp and clear mid's and high's. Also the Simaudio Moon i-5 was superb, but much higher and not that much difference in sound to my ears.

To my ears, it lacks a little bit of detail and clarity compare to the Cambridge. But, at this place, the senior tech (24 years) said that NAD have better built quality than Cambridge.
          I agree with Briz. Follow your ears. I found the Cambridge amps to be more refined than the NAD. But I prefer the Moon i-5.3 over them all for build and sound. I think that over the long term you will enjoy the Moon more than the Cambridge Amps especially when playing difficult musical passages. However the 840A amp is quite good. Moon is one of the best built around and warranty is 10 years. If i-5.3 is too much at $3500 (approx) get the i-3 at $2200(approx). Can't beat the Cambridge CD players for price, quality and sound tho but I would go for at least the 640C
          Russ

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Yep, got the 840c! Still breaking it in, but definitely amazing so far.
            -Dan

Comment

• JPHIL
              • Jul 2004

yes it was 2 different hifi dealers.

The one sellind NAD offer me to try the system at home for the week-end with the Rega R3. Even if I'm not sure about the NAD, I will do it.

Why? Because my room is so much different than a listening room...Hardwood Floor, room is 24 x 18 wide open...And the Nad dealer said the room is at least 50% of the sound...

Will let you know...

Thanks for your comments about the build quality...That is what I thought. Both products are great for what I know and read...Still my wife prefer the Cambridge for looks....hey...you cannot ignore the WAF factor!!! :T
              Denon AVR 3805
              PS3 80 gig

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

Well with the hardwood flooring and no type of area rug you will most likely notice that the NAD sounds a little bit brighter. Along with this, you're going to notice that the Cambridge will sound even brighter than it tends to be...which you might not like. Or you might really like that.

Best thing to do is demo what you can at home and go with what sounds the best to your ears!
                -Dan

Comment

• Russ L
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  Yep, got the 840c! Still breaking it in, but definitely amazing so far.
                  arty:

Big isn't it? Weighs more than my Creek Classic Amp.
                  Russ

Comment

• wkhanna
                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

...And the Nad dealer said the room is at least 50% of the sound...
                    This dealer is spot on. Take advantage of home demo every time you can.

As PewterTA said, your room will tend to 'brighten' any system you put in it.

Consider adding, at the minimum, a medium to large size floor rug, with a carpet pad underneath it, in front of your speakers (the first reflection point at the floor) and any curtains or absorbing materials you can on the walls. They will be most effective behind your listening position and at the first reflection points on the side walls. These 'points' are easily determined by sitting at your listening position and having a helper hold a mirror against the wall at eye / ear level and moving it along the wall. When you can see the speakers in the mirror, this is your first reflection point, and the place you want add sound absorbing materials if possible. While not being super critical for most HT situations, it does have a dramatic influence on 2 channel music sound quality.

BTW, I bought PewterTA’s Cambridge 640c v1 CDp a while ago. It has great a sound for its retail price, and is holding up just fine with steady use. I would not discourage anyone from buying Cambridge products based on my experience with this unit. But again, as everyone here agrees, let your own ears be the judge.

As always, JMHO.
                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JPHIL
                      • Jul 2004

For the carpet and curtains....the problem I have for now is the WAF...
                      Denon AVR 3805
                      PS3 80 gig

Comment

• Russ L
                        • Jul 2006

At a minimum try framed pictures, wall hangings or bookshelves in those key spots to break up the reflections off of bare walls and floors. They add an enormous amount of distortion to the sound by throwing off the timing that your ears hear the music. Well worth the effort but there are ways to keep the wife happy too. Make sure she approves the pictures you buy for the wall etc. I'm sure she'll approve your sudden interest in interior design and art pieces! :W (And your system will sound like a million$!)
                        Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2007

It's really hard to predict room acoustics. We have a room with real hardwood floors and no dampening at all. The high frequencies are wonderful and the bass is very deep solid. With proper speaker positioning the over all sound is excellent.

I know many live rooms tend to sound bright, but others sound like concert halls.

In contrast the very dead room below tends to sound bright. With a LOT of work on room acoustics I've got some really nice sound there too.
                          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Ahh….you need to look at this from a different perspective……

You don’t have a problem………you have an opportunity!

Get your OWMBO involved in the process. Encourage her to take on the project of re-decorating the room, giving her your full support, and let her make the choices of the accessories while gently steering her towards elements which will enhance the acoustics of the room.

I may be a bit luckier than some, since my wife is fairly tolerant of my obsession. Regardless, I always defer any final decisions on changes or additions to the listening room to her.

(for some reason she still refers to it as the Living room?)
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Russ L
                              arty:

Big isn't it? Weighs more than my Creek Classic Amp.
                              Yeah it's big! It's almost the size of my Rotel RSP-1098! Plus it weighs 20lbs...so that's awesome.

I have to say after listening to it for about 2 days nows (maybe about 3 hours total) it's amazing. I definitely have to say I've never heard CDs sound "this analog" before. It's very similiar to how wkhanna's TT sounds. Not saying it's identical...but I've not heard a CD sound like this. On the good quality recorded (mastered) CDs, it's almost like I've not heard them before. It definitely goes to show though that poorly mastered CDs are BAD.

There is definitely a realism to everything that I've not heard before. Trumpets and cymbals just sound so much more realistic. Female voices just melt me, some are so smooth and silky and just sound so good. This is the first CD player that I actually got goose bumps from listening to it...I sat there is amazement at me getting them.

Also the bass is unbelieveable. It's like I never had bass before (or that my bass speakers were not working)...it's so powerful and life like, quick and transient. Feels like someone turned it up "to 11," but not distorted or over powering anything else...it's just like it was not there.

Definitely a fine start, can't wait till it breaks in! :T So far I only put a CD on for about 3 or 4 hours continuous to help break it in...so it really needs more time to open up.
                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"