X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Converting existing box for DVD playback

Just curious, what's the cheapest sound card that would output a digital signal? I've been looking at the SB cards and they are going for around $150. The only thing that looks strange on the sheets is it says S/PDIF IN. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I need an out?

Here's what I'm thinking of doing. Buying a DVD rom drive, soundcard and some more ram. I'm assuming the soundcard is where I need to send out the digital signal to my receiver. I'd have that do the decoding and send the sound to my 5.1 setup.

Currently I'm running a Celeron 300, which can be OC'd to 450. This is also my main machine, so there's lot of 'Junk' on it. I'm mainly looking at listening/watching commentaires on this and am not expecting it to be a full blown HTPC.

My 5.1 setup is still in the works. I've got the 4.1 cambridge speakers right now, but would like to move to a Take5 setup without the sub.

For the sub, either move my existing 8" which means I need to replace that, or buy a cheaper sub.

Oh the receiver would be my Yamaha 595.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Paul, a regular Sound Blaster Live "Value" will output SPDIF digital signal to your receiver for cd and MP3 playback. I have an older gen Value card and to output 5.1 DD, I needed to apply the region Free enhancement software.

That SPDIF in is for the DVD/CD ROM digital connection, rather than using the analog connector.

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

kevin I was in my PC store this weekend and they had a cheap ($30) sound card that did 5.1 DD...I think it had a digital out as well but I'm not sure. I know the SB live value does as does the diamond model both of these run around $75 cdn.

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Hee, hee, mixing up the names again.

Just an update, I've upgraded my ram and got my cpu running at 450. I looked at a real SB box and it states it will output to receivers, looks like SB should proof read their site. Or maybe it's just me.

Will probably pickup a DVD drive in the next month or so and see how things work.

Paul

Paul

Comment

• gil
          • Dec 2000

Paul,
          The SoundBlaster Live Value comes with a digital output. It uses a 1/8" mini-jack to output the digital instead of a standard RCA (coaxial) jack. Radio Shack has a 1/8" mini jack to RCA jack adapter for a few bucks. I got my SB Live value from my local PC shop for $59. It is an oem product.

The Guillemot Maxisound Fortissmo is also a good option and comes with optical digital out for around $50 if you can find it.

I hear that the SB live value may output a higher SPDIF signal than normal and that may affect your equipment. It works fine with my Sony ES receiver. Hoontech has an inexpensive adapter that may be used with the Live value and outputs both coaxial and optical.

Oh yeah, I needed to use DVD Genie to enable the SB Live Value digital out to output the DD/DTS 5.1 bitstream otherwise I only got stereo out.

I also picked up an Aopen 12x dvd drive for less than $80 shipped on the net and it seems to work well but is a little noisy when spinning up. Not sure if it's region free.

Take care,
          Gil

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"