X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Is it a good idea or worth it?

Hi all, I have a question about using Balanced to RCA adapters. I have a Pre that only has single ended connection and an amp that has both. The manufacturer of the amp (Krell) recommends using balanced connections.
    I will eventually change my Pre, but I'm wondering if I should use adapters for now.

Thanks.
    Greg
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If you'll eventually get a balanced pre-amp and don't have decent unbalanced cables; then go ahead and get some good balanced cables and adapters. You'll be out the cost of adapters and now have good cables.

If you all ready have some good unbalanced cables, then just wait until you get a balanced pre-amp. Getting good balanced cables won't get you better sound and you'll be out the cost of adapters.

Kevin D.

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Thanks Kevin, that makes sense. I was planning on getting the same brand of cable that I have now in balanced configuration, so I'll wait until I get the new PRE. Audio Research LS17 or LS26 is at the top of the list at the moment.
      Greg

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I agree, I'd just use unbalanced for now, until you get new equipment in the future.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

How is the new Krell settling in?

Are you replacing the Prologue 3 because on the balanced issue or do you basically feel that it does not do justice to the new amp?
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

Greg, Keep in mind one other important thing.....circuit topology, is your Krell fully balanced ? obviously your pre is not, so if the Krell is not, then there is really little if any benefit, unless you have long runs of interconnects and or other RFI issues, etc.

FWIW, I have the ARC LS-26, which is a fully balanced pre running into my balanced Plinius SA-102. If you decide to go the LS-26 route, I can assure you that it will provide your Krell and your Logans pure pleasure !!
            Dave

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas

Are you replacing the Prologue 3 because on the balanced issue or do you basically feel that it does not do justice to the new amp?
              The kav 2250 is setteling in fine. Its definitely a quality product.

The Prolouge 3 is good but I know there's better. The Cary for example and the ARC.

My amp to pre connection is 5 meters and Krell does recommend using balanced connections.
              Greg

Comment

• twitch54
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
                The Prolouge 3 is good but I know there's better. The Cary for example and the ARC.

My amp to pre connection is 5 meters and Krell does recommend using balanced connections.

I think one needs to go to the top of Cary 'food chain' to get a balanced pre, the '98' is single ended.

Also there is a VERY discernable difference between the Cary and ARC. The Cary offers much more mid-range bloom while the ARC (LS-17 and 26) are more tonally neutral. If you are serious about these two, you had best audition for they are quite different.

given your pre to amp distance, I agree balanced makes sense !
                Dave

Comment

• GregLett
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by twitch54
                  I think one needs to go to the top of Cary 'food chain' to get a balanced pre, the '98' is single ended.
                  The Cary looks off the menu for balanced models.
                  Greg

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

The kav 2250 is setteling in fine. Its definitely a quality product.

Thats a long run. I would have gone with a long run of speaker cable over the long interconnect. That said, I am sure you have your reasons for preferring the long interconnect
                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

Thats a long run. I would have gone with a long run of speaker cable over the long interconnect. That said, I am sure you have your reasons for preferring the long interconnect
                      Everything I've read and seen says long interconnects short speaker cables, I like the source near my chair and I think the speakers perform better without a rack
                      between them.
                      Greg

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Everything I've read and seen says long interconnects short speaker cables, I like the source near my chair and I think the speakers perform better without a rack
                        between them.
                        Einsteins theory of hifi. For every opinion or truth there is an equal and opposite opinion/truth

I agree with the rack comment and the convenience factor.

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

Einsteins theory of hifi. For every opinion or truth there is an equal and opposite opinion/truth

I agree with the rack comment and the convenience factor.

I can give that a shot.if the SQ can be improved with short interconnects and long speaker cables I would go that way. It won't be too difficult to try.
                          Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                            • May 2005

What I gather from reading those is that you want to keep them both as short as possible. Them that puts the rack right smack where I don't want it.
                            Greg

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

What I gather from reading those is that you want to keep them both as short as possible. Them that puts the rack right smack where I don't want it.
                              The B&W one favours short runs all round as best, the Nordost one says that for longer overall runs it would be better to have short interconnect over short speaker cable.

Maybe our friends as Cat Cables can provide a more detailed reponse.

Comment

• GregLett
                                • May 2005

The B&W one favours short runs all round as best, the Nordost one says that for longer overall runs it would be better to have short interconnect over short speaker cable.

Maybe our friends as Cat Cables can provide a more detailed reponse.
                                I emailed my cable manufacturer and he said either way. They state both their IC and speaker cables are fine with long runs.
                                Greg

Comment

• twitch54
                                  • Apr 2006

I emailed my cable manufacturer and he said either way. They state both their IC and speaker cables are fine with long runs.

For a cable maker to make a 'general statement' like that is pure Hogwash !!

When one is putting together a system the most important word in the equation is....Synergy ! and that applies from source to speaker.

Greg, remember what kinda of speaker your using......Logan's , do you know what type of load they present to an amplifier and how important cabling is with respect to resistance, capacitance ? The panels on your speaker are a giant capacitor into themselves actually 'kicking' back to an amp, thus the need for good stability for top notch sound, and with current demands that can dip to as low as 1 ohm(albeit at the high end); speaker cable selection is important.

IMO, keep cabling as short and neat as possible. Where longer runs are required, do so on the IC side and preferably balanced / XLR.
                                  Dave

Comment

• GregLett
                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by twitch54
                                    For a cable maker to make a 'general statement' like that is pure Hogwash !!

When one is putting together a system the most important word in the equation is....Synergy ! and that applies from source to speaker.

Greg, remember what kinda of speaker your using......Logan's , do you know what type of load they present to an amplifier and how important cabling is with respect to resistance, capacitance ? The panels on your speaker are a giant capacitor into themselves actually 'kicking' back to an amp, thus the need for good stability for top notch sound, and with current demands that can dip to as low as 1 ohm(albeit at the high end); speaker cable selection is important.

IMO, keep cabling as short and neat as possible. Where longer runs are required, do so on the IC side and preferably balanced / XLR.

I agree with keeping the speaker cables as short as possible, that's why I went that route. I only asked about because of what Briz showed me. This cable manufacturer claims that due to the construction of his cables both the IC and speaker cables are ok with long runs. Cardas says that their speaker cables are ok with long runs, but to keep the IC's short.
                                    I'm going to stick with my current config, because I don't want a rack between my speakers.
                                    Greg

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I agree with keeping the speaker cables as short as possible, that's why I went that route. I only asked about because of what Briz showed me. This cable manufacturer claims that due to the construction of his cables both the IC and speaker cables are ok with long runs. Cardas says that their speaker cables are ok with long runs, but to keep the IC's short.
                                      I'm going to stick with my current config, because I don't want a rack between my speakers.

And sometimes that can be the deciding factor. Good luck with the pre-amp hunt!

Comment

• GregLett
                                        • May 2005

well.. I was able to audition a Cary SLP-90. My buddy brought it over last night; I will have it until Saturday. Well there is no question about it being better than the PrimaLuna. The 840, Primaluna, Krell combo is good, but there is an edge to the music. My biggest complaint is that symbols seem to have a "white noise" edge. When we switched in the Cary all of that went away.

The cary is not running stock tubes, and I had changed the tubes in my Pre. I was wondering if swapping tubes in the PrimaLuna would give me some of the sound of the Cary. I guess I'm wondering how much of the sound is actually the tubes.

I now need to hear an ARC pre in my setup.
                                        Greg

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"