X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpvnnvpj
    • Jun 2007

$1,000 Budget What Cd Player

I dicided to change my player , what do you guys recoment.
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

The Cambridge Azur 740C, $1,100.00. If you can swing a bit more, the giant-killer 840C is $1,375. Both models have received excellent reviews.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I have to agree with Glen, if you can't swing that and it has to be under $1,000, get the Benchmark DAC1 for $975. No CD player under that will beat the quality. I do have to say the Rotel RCD-1072 and Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2 come very close to the Benchmark Dac1 in terms of quality.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

Gotta agree on the above suggestions. I just purchased the Cambridge 840C barely used for under $1000. Fantastic player. Even the build quality is top notch. It also has 2 digital inputs. They come in handy.

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

I auditioned the 840C against other players costing over $3000. It was better. So I bought it. Its the most "analogue" CD player I've heard. It will reveal poorly recorded CDs tho so get ready to re-evaluate your CD collection! Read the review in Absolute Sound Sept. issue. Available at Cambridge Audio website. Make sure you use high quality interconnects and speaker cables with the unit. -Russ
          Russ

Comment

• rick c
            • Aug 2004

eastern electric minimax vacuum tube player,also plays hdcd.

Comment

• NMyTree
              • May 2004

The Minimax is a good suggestion.

As is the Rega Apollo.

What kind of sound do you like?

What kind of music do you like?

What kind of recording/mastering quality is that of your favorite CDs?

If you listen to a lot of music that was not recorded/mastered all that well, will you be willing to listen to audiophile-grade CDs, only; while basically never listening to the music you really love?

If your answer to this directly above question is yes, then, by all means check out the Cambridge 840C.

If you love music that unfortunately wasn't recorded/mastered all that well and you refuse to give up listening to the music you really love; then, give a listen/try of the Rega Apollo or the Eastern Electric Minimax. They are much more forgiving of bad recordings/mastering and make for an enjoyable, musical listening experience. The Apollo is very "analogue" sounding, also.

It's all a matter of what's important to you, as an individual.....your preferences....your tastes....your listening habits.

How long do you listen to music with your system?

What other gear is in your system?
              Tony

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
                • Jun 2007

Thanks everyone i have a rotel rdx 1057 and rb 1070 pushing meadowlark audio sherwater hot rod speakers. All with Harmonic tech truth link interconects an HT pro 9 speaker cables. All this is conected via jena labs power cables to a richar grey sub station thanks.

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
                  • Jun 2007

Forgot i listen to misic for hours. i like 80s rock ( the police,boston,u2 ) and new stuff all in the rock category. :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

I'd definitely go with a CA Azur player for the music you listen to...it does really really good with those styles of music.
                    -Dan

Comment

• NMyTree
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Russ L
                      I auditioned the 840C against other players costing over $3000. It was better. So I bought it. Its the most "analogue" CD player I've heard. It will reveal poorly recorded CDs tho so get ready to re-evaluate your CD collection!
                      With all due respect, one should be putting a system together so one can listen to the music one really loves and has in their current collection.

No one should be putting a system together that eliminates and excludes much of the music one may already have in their collection and dearly love.

One puts a system together to listen to the music one really loves, not to listen to a sparse amount of superbly recorded/mastered CDs; that may not contain music one really likes/loves.

This approach to ruthlessly revealing and unforgiving sources/components digging put for perfection in CDs, in a world where CDs/recordings/masterings are predominately far from perfect; often disappoints a lot of people in this hobby. That's like trying to match a Mercedez engine with a Chevy Nova.

They either get frustrated because they can't listen to their favorite albums/cds without severe listening fatigue/irritation and walk away from the hobby. Or they get themselves caught up in a neverending merry-go-round of spending money, buying new components, selling components and changing out their components.

Unless of course the music one loves just happens to be superbly recorded/mastered.

Otherwise, one should try to put a system together that is forgiving and embraces the bad recordings/masterings; and that can also play any superb recordings/masterings, well.
                      Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by jpvnnvpj
                        Forgot i listen to misic for hours. i like 80s rock ( the police,boston,u2 ) and new stuff all in the rock category. :T
                        In my opinion, you may very well end up disappointed with the Cambridge players and their more revealing, unforgiving capabilities and presentation.

Forget about the Rega Apollo and Minimax, this isn't about those players or pushing those players. It's about finding a player that matches your tastes, listening habits and cd collection. Although I think the Apollo or Minimax would be a better match, from what little I know of you; there are other players out there.

What about the Rotel RCD-1072 CDP? Seems like that would be a perfect match for your system and from what I know it; it has a nice, slight warmth that can be forgiving.

Again it all depends on your own personal tastes and preferences. So it's really hard to know what to suggest.

Do you want a component that is ruthlessly revealing of recording/mastering quality?

Or do you prefer a source that is a bit more forgiving?
                        Tony

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
                          • Jun 2007

Have you herd this player right now i have a sony 9000es sow a whant to upgrade. i fiend the sony is mising fidelity and highs have you herd the sony. thanks.

Comment

• NMyTree
                            • May 2004

No, I have not heard that Sony 9000es player.
                            Tony

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by NMyTree
                              With all due respect, one should be putting a system together so one can listen to the music one really loves and has in their current collection.

No one should be putting a system together that eliminates and excludes much of the music one may already have in their collection and dearly love.

One puts a system together to listen to the music one really loves, not to listen to a sparse amount of superbly recorded/mastered CDs; that may not contain music one really likes/loves.

This approach to ruthlessly revealing and unforgiving sources/components digging put for perfection in CDs, in a world where CDs/recordings/masterings are predominately far from perfect; often disappoints a lot of people in this hobby. That's like trying to match a Mercedez engine with a Chevy Nova.

They either get frustrated because they can't listen to their favorite albums/cds without severe listening fatigue/irritation and walk away from the hobby. Or they get themselves caught up in a neverending merry-go-round of spending money, buying new components, selling components and changing out their components.

Unless of course the music one loves just happens to be superbly recorded/mastered.

Otherwise, one should try to put a system together that is forgiving and embraces the bad recordings/masterings; and that can also play any superb recordings/masterings, well.
                              Then again, don't poorly produced, recorded, and compressed recordings sound bad on a Rega Apollo as well. Sometimes you don't notice how bad a recording is until you upgrade your CD player. Also, the well recorded CDs don't sound as good on cheaper gear as they do on a Meridian, a Moon, or a CA 840 CD player. Better to support those artists that put out excellent CDs. There are still some rock/pop artists who make good CDs its not all Classical or Jazz fortunately. Granted, it takes work to find well mastered CDs but there are threads here at HTGuide that can help as well as other resources. Regards, Russ
                              Russ

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

I have YET to find an artist that doesn't at least sound as good (if not better) on my CA Azur 640c v2 then they did on my "lesser" CDP. Does that mean that on some of the older discs I really can hear a difference...yes I can tell that they weren't produced as good as others...and it can be a little bit frustrating, because after all, you want it ALL to sound as good as your best produced disc.

U2 is a pretty good example of that, their music is great, but their discs are produced well. They could be a lot better. I don't think my CDP has really pointed that out so much as me more KNOWING what to look for. If someone just handed me the Azur 640c v2 and I didn't know what to listen for...I'd think every disc I had sounded better. I've ALWAYS known some disc sounded better than others...but having a better player doesn't make me want to stop listening to them...more just makes me wish the artist would remaster it! :T

...as for the CA vs. the others...I infact think the Rotel 1072 didn't do AS well with rock/pop, but it did better with classical/jazz. The Apollo and Minimax I've only heard quick demos with so I can't really comment on their sound.

To me though the CA is best used with Rock/Pop music, though no slouch with any other genres I throw at it.

Course a Sony 9000es CDP digitally feeding a Benchmark Dac1 is going to sound super sweet as well!!
                                -Dan

Comment

• zmanbands
                                  • May 2007

I have heard the Sony S 9000Es

I have one and I loved it. Then I had the level 5 mods from Vacuum State put in and and now the original 9000 sounds bad. Really bad. That is how incrediable these mods are. I did add Breath of life for $ 100. Anyway my system now walks on water.

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
                                    • Jun 2007

BAD in a good way or bad way. what about the jolida jd100 tube player any feed back.

Comment

• soundhound
                                      • Mar 2004

In regards to the Jolida JD 100:

It is built like a tank, and gives one a "taste" of what tubes can sound like with an all ss sytem.
                                      After break in it has a very romantic allure to it, that really makes you want to sit and listen.
                                      I owned one for about 8 mos, and then moved to tubes every where else so needed a higher res ss player.
                                      A non modded version can be had for 7-800 usd new.

Comment

• zmanbands
                                        • May 2007

The Vacuum State Level 5 + the Breath Of Life

These mods are so dramatic on the S9000ES that when I went back and listened to the unmodded S9000ES it sounded like crap and I used to love it. That big an improvement! The old circuitry is left in tact so you can go back and compare modded vs unmodded. Level 5 is $1495 and BOL is $100.

Comment

• dave
                                          • Aug 2003

If I can make a suggestion, if you haven't made your mind up yet do yourself a favor
                                          and go to www.audiogon.com there you can compare various likes & dislikes
                                          to a wide variety of players and also there are some really great savings to be had there. I went through your dilema a few years back and ended up with a great buy on a trans/da converter setup. Just my opinion, I enjoy the sound of valves versus solid state, with a valve setup you can adjust the sound stage and the bloom by the valves you use. theres a big difference in the way a set of Bugle Boy tubes sound
                                          Verses Mullard. Anyway just a thought, sorry for being so long winded.

BTW, Valves can be very addictive as stated previously, I started with
                                          VTL Valve Linestage then had to upgrade to a Valve Trans/DA setup and then just a few months ago, Purchased Mcintosh 275 Stereo Amp. so be warned
                                          Valves are Addicting.
                                          Dave...

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dave
                                            so be warned
                                            Valves are Addicting.
                                            I only have them in my pre-amp.......they do wonders for digital source material, IMHO.

I Will have more....I Must have more......I Need valves.....
                                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dave
                                              • Aug 2003

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                                              Its an illness thats very addictive!
                                              Dave...

Comment

• r100gs
                                                • May 2005

I've been looking at this player. http://pacificvalve.us/ShanlingCD300.html
                                                Jay

Comment

• dave
                                                  • Aug 2003

Thats a nice readup on that player, have you had a chance to audition it yet?
                                                  Dual power supplies is a very good thing...
                                                  Dave...

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
                                                    • Jun 2007

That shanling and apollo look good too bad there are no dealers in the miami area too try them out.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2005

How about something like this.... The Marantz SA8001.

I've read that CD playback is stunning on this player. You get SACD too, although it may be of no relevance to you. It's also in your budget.

Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.
                                                      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
                                                        • Jun 2007

I loked into the marantz but i saw i a comparison test with the ca 740 and the ca blew it away. but i have heard that tube players sound beter .

Comment

• Russ L
                                                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jpvnnvpj
                                                          I loked into the marantz but i saw i a comparison test with the ca 740 and the ca blew it away. but i have heard that tube players sound beter .
                                                          The Cambridge Audio 840C (and to a lesser extent the 740C) don't sound like typical solid state CD players. The new blackfin DSP, the upsampling with its special algorithm, and the dual differential DACs along with other design features make the 840C sound more like an analogue source. Just like tube players try to do. But no replacing expensive tubes. Also you get a resolution and clarity that tube players have difficulty matching. So you get the best of solid state and tubes with the 840C. I would find the extra $300-$400 for the 840C its well worth it. See the review in Absolute Sound Sept. 2007 issue where the 840 equals players costing $10,000 8O :T Regards, Russ
                                                          Russ

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                            • May 2004

Then again, don't poorly produced, recorded, and compressed recordings sound bad on a Rega Apollo as well.
                                                            No, not necessarily.

I mean, a bad recording is a bad recording and no CD player will make the recording better. But, in my opinion and experience, the Apollo is much more forgiving of bad recordings and makes for much more enjoyable listen, than a player such as the Cambridge which is much more analytical.

Of course a lot depends of the synergy of the system, room acoustics and so forth.

Sometimes you don't notice how bad a recording is until you upgrade your CD player.
                                                            Right, thus the point. Personally I think when people ask for suggestions like jpvnnvpj has, that you have to take into consideration what kind of music they listen to and other listening habits. Like I said, I think most people want to listen to music they already love and already have in their collection. Music they already have some kind of emotional connection/attatchment to. Exploring and discovering new, high-quality recordings is great. But not everyone likes the music. And high-quality recordings of music one does not like or want to listen to; is about as useful as tits on a bull.

Some people don't want to get gear that is so revealing that it makes a lot of their favorite albums/CDs unlistenable.

Also, the well recorded CDs don't sound as good on cheaper gear as they do on a Meridian, a Moon, or a CA 840 CD player.
                                                            Well, I think for the most part that's true, but I don't believe that's an across the board truth. It will still sound very, very good. It will also depend on the rest of one's system and what one considers "good". I can assure you the Apollo does extremely well with well recorded material, in my system. It sounds absolutely beautiful, to my ears. And it's not even the most " expensive "......" highest end " source in my system.

I've tried out the Meridian G08 and I will take my Rega Apollo and Rega Saturn, every time. And twice on Sunday. It's just not a player that appeals to my personal tastes and for my system.

Better to support those artists that put out excellent CDs.
                                                            Of course there's something to be said for supporting artists who produce well recorded/well mastered CDs, but if it's not music that I like; then why would I buy the CD!

This is about the music.

There are still some rock/pop artists who make good CDs its not all Classical or Jazz fortunately. Granted, it takes work to find well mastered CDs but there are threads here at HTGuide that can help as well as other resources, Regards, Russ
                                                            I have many well recorded CDs by artists who make music I love. And exploring/discovering new music/artists is always a wonderful thing. I do it all the time. But I'm not buying a CD just because it's recorded/mastered well. If I don't like the music, I won't buy it. Yet again, that approach does absolutely nothing for people who already have albums/CDs in the their collection, they already love and want to hear often. Which unfortunatey are not recorded/mastered well. That approach excludes music people already love. In my opinion, that's no way to build a system.
                                                            Tony

Comment

• Russ L
                                                              • Jul 2006

I have many well recorded CDs by artists who make music I love. And exploring/discovering new music/artists is always a wonderful thing. I do it all the time. But I'm not buying a CD just because it's recorded/mastered well. If I don't like the music, I won't buy it. Yet again, that approach does absolutely nothing for people who already have albums/CDs in the their collection, they already love and want to hear often. Which unfortunatey are not recorded/mastered well. That approach excludes music people already love. In my opinion, that's no way to build a system.
                                                              I can certainly understand the point you are trying to make. I think we are offering two approaches to coping with a problem that shouldn't exist. Both our approaches have drawbacks. With mine I have to do without certain(poorly recorded) recordings I'd rather listen to and so be able to use more expensive and revealing equipment. With your approach the listener shouldn't upgrade his equipment beyond a certain level/cost so he can listen to poorly recorded material and find it acceptable. But any upgrade will further reveal the fact that most Cds are poorly recorded. Moving from a $200-$300 Cd player, amp, cables,etc. will reveal poor recordings. As I said, the problem shouldn't exist. The music industry is turning out poorly produced and recorded CDs to keep their profit margins up. Instead of repairing and restoring the original masters they are using copies of copies of production "masters". And there are endless ways to cut costs while churning out a "recording". There are many so called remasters of CDs ie: Derek and the Dominoes that are pure unlistenable garbage on any system. And most of the new recordings that are made should not be sold. Its a vicious circle. The music recording biz cuts back on production costs to keep profit margins up due to downloads cutting in to sales numbers. Then consumers get used to bad sounding CDs. Then they don't mind 128 kbps downloads and listen to their MP3 players or cheap computer speaker systems more. Then they don't go bother puchasing CDs at all. Then the manufacturers of CDs sales fall even more. Then good quality audio manufacturer's sales drop. It affects Rega, Cambridge Audio, B&W, Meridian... and their economic viability. Its a shame that I can't listen to many of my favourite artists because the recordings are so bad.
                                                              I auditioned the Rega Apollo when I bought my 840C and the Cambridge is more revealing but the Apollo is a very good player as well. I would be able to hear any degree of sonic degradation in a CD on the Apollo. To my ear the Apollo is revealing(not forgiving) as its a great player. I don't think the Apollo is a magic bullet that can transform poor recordings. It will discover anything less than a properly recorded CD. EX: Mark Knopfler's "Sailing to Philadelphia" or Martina McBride's "Timeless". Sure it would be more obvious on my 840 but it would be far from acceptable on the Apollo as well. CDs can sound very good when properly recorded and the technology is available these days. The Cd is not a faulty medium for music. Thats a myth...at least these days...maybe not in the first years of the CD back in the 80s when recording companies were adjusting to the new medium. Its the record companies that are to blame. It really borders on fraud. Recordings full of distortion coupled with the joys of compression where all songs are at the same high volume stripped of their dynamics! I don't know how many times I've taken home a Cd to listen for 30 secs. There should be standards set for the sale of CDs to protect consumers. The range would be from a low of "properly recorded" like McBride's CD to Audiophile like the Telarc recordings. Any recording lower than this range should not have to be dealt with by the consumer. I really don't think that you or I or anyone else should have to try and cope with a problem in ways that are all too often unacceptable. Kinda like washing your sick infant in dirty water.
                                                              Am I disappointed that I spent over $10,000 on my stereo to discover that I can't listen to many of my favourite artists especially Rock/Pop like Sarah McLachlin and Los Lonely Boys. Of course. But I've come to appreciate Classical music more! There must be alot of consumers who haven't discovered a forum like this and are unaware of the problems in the recording industry. Totally unaware why their sound system does not sound very good-whether it be a $1000 package or a $10,000 system. I notice that the sales people at Hi-Fi stores aren't quick to notify us before we spend thousands of dollars that there are a limited number of CDs available to play on your system. That talk starts later... :roll: Its like being sold a car without the unaware consumer being told that an acceptable quality grade of gas is available to fuel the vehicle. I don't think thats a stretch. But Hi-Fi people have to make a living as well and its the recording industry thats at fault IMO. Also, they take advantage of the fact that a large pecentage of the population don't hear or don't care to hear the difference between the poorly recorded CD and the properly recorded CD.
                                                              This problem is revealed to a certain degree when you upgrade from an Apollo to a 840C. But its also revealed to another degree when you upgrade from a 640C to an Apollo. Any upgrade in equipment-cable, speakers , amps, line conditioners, etc. is going reveal this recording industry problem to a degree. Personally I can't listen to the Los Lonely Boys (I'm a big fan) on my stereo whether through an 840C or an Apollo. 1) I'd rather not listen because it defeats the purpose of investing all that cash on B&W speakers etc. to achieve incredible sound. 2) Its artistically unpalatable. 3) Its displeasing to my ears.:?? I suppose we all have to cope with this problem in our own way. Lets face it-we wouldn't even be having this discussion if it wasn't for the tragedy in the recording industry. Can the consumer return a CD for being improperly built(recorded) to their local Virgin Megastore? No. Can the consumer return other products if they are improperly built. Yes. This problem needs to be resolved for the future health of all areas of the music business including home music/theater systems. Talk to you later... I'm off to listen to my handful of well recorded CDs on my outrageously expensive Hi-Fi system! Best Regards, Russ
                                                              Russ

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                • May 2004

Russ, when it comes to the general theme, here ; we're not in disagreement.

It is a damn shame and embarrassment things have gone this way, with the music business. They are clueless.

It's just that I have several friends in this hobby in the physical world, and I've made several friends on these forums; and we talk about this all the time on the phone or when we hang out. A common theme in the conversations is their disappointment and frustration that they can't listen to so many of their beloved cds/albums; because their systems are too revealing. I learned this a few years ago and started experimenting, auditioning and trying to match pieces that would permit most of my cds to sound good. It's worked out fairly well.

I suspect my Rega Apollo is more forgiving in my system, because of the rest of my components. I think my tubed pre amp (and the tubes I use) .......hybrid tube amp and Wharfedale Opus 2 ........make a huge difference, there.

I'm also a huge lover Sarah McLachlin's music. But even with that system (with the Opus 2 speakers)her CDs don't sound their best. They sound much better on my other system, with my Castle Conway 3 loudspeakers.
                                                                Tony

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                                                  • Aug 2000

The Cambridge Audio 840C (and to a lesser extent the 740C) don't sound like typical solid state CD players. The new blackfin DSP, the upsampling with its special algorithm, and the dual differential DACs along with other design features make the 840C sound more like an analogue source. Just like tube players try to do. But no replacing expensive tubes. Also you get a resolution and clarity that tube players have difficulty matching. So you get the best of solid state and tubes with the 840C. I would find the extra $300-$400 for the 840C its well worth it. See the review in Absolute Sound Sept. 2007 issue where the 840 equals players costing $10,000 8O :T Regards, Russ

Very much agree in this price range. The digital inputs are icing on the cake. The real deal is the way they've implemented their combination of upsampling and D/A, combining it with a good transport and analog output.

The other way I've found to get to the 840C kind of sound is careful selection of external DAC and transport (at 1K the Benchmark is still a leader; own one, and planning to get the USB version for a specific application), or a sophisticated SACD player. Think Ayre C-5xe, or if you're on a tighter budget, something like the Marantz SA-11s (which I also voted for with my pocket book).
                                                                  the AudioWorx
                                                                  Natalie P
                                                                  M8ta
                                                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                                                  Modula MT XE
                                                                  Modula Xtreme
                                                                  Isiris
                                                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                  Minerva Monitor
                                                                  Calliope
                                                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                  Obi-Wan
                                                                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                  Modula PWB
                                                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Russ L
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2006

It's just that I have several friends in this hobby in the physical world, and I've made several friends on these forums; and we talk about this all the time on the phone or when we hang out. A common theme in the conversations is their disappointment and frustration that they can't listen to so many of their beloved cds/albums; because their systems are too revealing. I learned this a few years ago and started experimenting, auditioning and trying to match pieces that would permit most of my cds to sound good. It's worked out fairly well.

I suspect my Rega Apollo is more forgiving in my system, because of the rest of my components. I think my tubed pre amp (and the tubes I use) .......hybrid tube amp and Wharfedale Opus 2 ........make a huge difference, there.
                                                                    I've listened to the Rega Cd player albeit through Solid State amps and listened to tube gear seperately. Upon reflection, I agree that the Rega Apollo's sound would fit into a tube setup quite well. Its true that tubes can help poorly recorded CDs sound better altho some are beyond hope.

I've found that with each expensive upgrade a number of Cds have been relegated to the unlistenable pile. I give them away so I don't have to see what I'm missing. Expensive cables and interconnects caused alot of casualties. But the Cambridge 840C took out about 15% of my Cds. 8O Great soundstage for well recorded CDs tho.

Its a shame that we have to adapt to such bad circumstances but I'm still finding boatloads of enjoyment with home audio. I find that the more effort it takes can often lead to more enjoyment of success in one's home audio system. EX: discovering that Beethoven's Piano Concertos can kick as much #$$ as my favourite rock groups. Many Classical CDs can really make your system howl. Take that David Foster! (I wonder if HE CAN LISTEN to the CDs he produces on his home audio system?) Best regards, Russ
                                                                    Russ

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

I've found that with each expensive upgrade a number of Cds have been relegated to the unlistenable pile. I give them away so I don't have to see what I'm missing. Expensive cables and interconnects caused alot of casualties. But the Cambridge 840C took out about 15% of my Cds. 8O Great soundstage for well recorded CDs tho.
                                                                      Hmmm! I recently bought an amp because I liked the way it made 1920s blues sound, surface noise and all (I think wires were Nordost Heimdall - just info not recommending). I think if you are throwing out 15% of your CDs - thats just not a good thing. I have lots of poorly recorded CDs (and 80s music as well - oh the shame :B ) and my system seems to like most of them and does not hate any of them. Good recordings are just icing on the cake.

If anything my Naim 5x/flatcap brought old CDs out of retirement, expensive interconnects and the amp continued that trend.

Don't throw out good music - your next upgrade may bring those recordings back to life.

PS my system is not unique - I have heard a Classe/Martin Logan setup that also did great thingsfor both good and poor recordings alike. In fact at the moment that system is my benchmark. I hope to get close to it when I can afford suitable speaker cables.
                                                                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Fred333
                                                                        • Oct 2007

I would never throw out old cds unless they are damaged in some way. Music to me triggers old memories and keep life moving.
                                                                        Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

• dknightd
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2006

I've learned to accept poorly recorded music as part of the "charm". Or at least I'm trying to learn that. . . I mostly now listen to music from a computer through a benchmark DAC1. Sometimes I have to rip my own LP's because they sound better than the available CD versions. I do tend to listen to quality recordings as often as possible, but if a crummy recording is all that is available, and I want to listen to it, I will. I'm not going to get a crummy stereo where everything sounds crummy, just so I can listen to poor recordings - I'd rather listen to it on a decent system, warts and all.

Comment

• leepalao
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2005
                                                                            • 18

Everyone in here, how many times have you actually listen to the songs you REALLY like on your system? I mean... the whole song?

Here is what I learned for this type of endless $$$ spending hobby.

80% of the time, I pop in a CD, lower the volume and do 'normal' stuff around the house, talking to people, do other stuff around the house, etc....
                                                                            15% of the time, I higher the volume and enjoy the so called 'Audiophile' sound.
                                                                            5% of the time, I do critical listening on 'better' recordings, especially when A/B speakers or components..

Now, the 'best' system is the the one that you LIKE to listen to with your music. I'm not talking about those 'Audiophile' recordings that you pop the CD in, press play, and think to yourself, "WOW....", then 30-60 seconds later, change tracks, repeat, change CDs, repeat.... Yeah, this is me at one point, forcing myself to like those type of CDs when auditioning speakers and Component, lying to myself, when in truth, my CDs are soft rocks, pop, disco, european dance, foreign pop/rocks, country etc.... Come on people, don't tell me that doesn't apply to any of you? I think 'NMyTree' make very good sense in this threads.

Now, I'm getting the NAD Master M5 because to me, it sound better than Krell's SACD, Rega Appollo, Arcam FJM 23 and no, Rotel can't compare. I can still go into my 'Audiophile' listening mood and enjoys excellent recording CDs (music that I like), and enjoys the rest of my 'poorly' recording CDs that I 'enjoy' listening. Heck, this player is even very good for those 'today's top hits' music that I listen on the radio every morning..... Wow.... I actually listen to a WHOLE song on a CD.... I couldn't do that before...

This applies to speaker as well.. I'm selling the B&W 802Ds and go toward NHT Classic 4. Reason? Sure the B&W has that 'WOW' factor at the begining... then what? The NHT Classic 4s, on the other hand..... gives a little 'wow', throughout the whole CDs.. regardless of music type..... The NHT Classic 4s also separate music instrument BETTER than the 802Ds and is more accurate.

Yeah... this hobby is weird, I know.. I've been through it...

Comment

• dknightd
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2006
                                                                              • 621

#39
                                                                              I almost always listen to songs I like all the way through (except perhaps when I'm trying to do a/b comparisons). It is the songs I don't like as much that get skipped

I listen to mostly reggae, rock, bluegrass, african, blues, acoustic/folk, jazz - roughly in that order. Trust me, alot of reggae music is not well recorded. I admit the quality of the recording factors into how much I "like" a song, but it is not the only, or even the primary, consideration. When I audition equipment, I bring stuff that I like to listen to. No point, or pleasure, in auditioning material that you don't enjoy listening to!

Everybody has different musical tastes and preferences. This is a good thing. Get what you like, listen to what you like, it is your time money and pleasure.

I happen to like the 802d. Wish I could afford it. Never heard the NHT - the nearest dealer is 3+ hours away, maybe someday I'll take the trek, but after getting there my ears would probably not be in good condition for critical listening anyway.

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2005
                                                                                • 436

#40
                                                                                I would suggest Naim C5i. I've heard all the Apollo next to it in A/B and the Apollo sounded like "mush" for lack of a better word.

I have heard the Cambridge Azurs.... but none of them have the weight of the Naim C5i.
                                                                                Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                                                                Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                                                                System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• nick.h
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 171

#41
                                                                                  Pickup a second hand one on Audiogon, plenty available.

Meridian, Marantz or Musical Fidelity? Triple M!

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2004
                                                                                    • 520

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by dknightd
                                                                                    I've learned to accept poorly recorded music as part of the "charm". Or at least I'm trying to learn that. . . I mostly now listen to music from a computer through a benchmark DAC1. Sometimes I have to rip my own LP's because they sound better than the available CD versions. I do tend to listen to quality recordings as often as possible, but if a crummy recording is all that is available, and I want to listen to it, I will. I'm not going to get a crummy stereo where everything sounds crummy, just so I can listen to poor recordings - I'd rather listen to it on a decent system, warts and all.

For the record, I never suggested getting a crummy system.

My systems are more forgiving than many other systems I have heard. But they are far from crummy. It's amatter of carfeful component matching and synergy.

High quality recordings sound exactly as that.......amazingly beautiful.
                                                                                    Tony

Comment

• leepalao
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2005
                                                                                      • 18

#43
                                                                                      For the record, I never suggested getting a crummy system.

My systems are more forgiving than many other systems I have heard. But they are far from crummy. It's amatter of carfeful component matching and synergy.

High quality recordings sound exactly as that.......amazingly beautiful.
                                                                                      Exactly!
                                                                                      A 'Good' system will play:
                                                                                      - Good recordings Excellent!
                                                                                      - Bad recordings Excellent!

It's that simple. One thing that's overlook by 'many' people is:
                                                                                      "Make sure longer term listening is enjoyable."

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2004
                                                                                        • 520

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by leepalao
                                                                                        It's that simple. One thing that's overlook by 'many' people is: "Make sure longer term listening is enjoyable."
                                                                                        Absolutely!

I work from home and have one of my systems in my office. So I listen to music 4-6 hours a day, while I'm working. Any system too revealing, sterile, forward or bright would give me a major headache and would be extremely irritating and fatiguing.
                                                                                        Tony

Comment

• 8thDwarf
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • Feb 2005
                                                                                          • 57

#45
                                                                                          I've kept all my previous gear and use mutiple source paths. A thing I've noticed is music that sounds great on the best sounds good on the others. Some of my collection really shines with certain gear and moods.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"