X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveJ60
    • Nov 2004

Benchmark DAC1 or Arcam CD73T?

Hello all,

I'm looking to achieve improved redbook CD output from my current system that consists of:

Denon DVD-1600
    Rotel RSP-1066 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Amp
    Paradigm Studio V3 5.1 setup

I have $1000 to spend. I have listened to various CD players under $1000 and prefer the Arcam CD73T. My question is: is a dedicated CD player the way to go, or should I be considering a DAC such as the Benchmark DAC1 and use the denon dvd 1600 as a transport??

Thanks for any suggestions

STeve
  • will1066
    • Aug 2003

I read a Stereophile review of the Arcam FMJ CD23, and the Benchmark DAC was one of the references the reviewer used for comparison. The reviewer found them to be very close. You can deduce where I'm going with this, but keep in mind, it's only one reviewer's opinion. However, for $1000 you're in the ballpark as far as obtaining a good-condition pre-owned CD23 off Audiogon.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If they're close I'd likely go with the DAC1 as it would be more flexible down the road and you could use it on more then one transport (CD jukebox etc)

Comment

• Bill Blank
        • Sep 2002

While I love my CD73T (which was only $550 new BTW) if you've got $1G to drop I'd probably go for the Benchmark.

Otherwise buy the Arcam for half that and $450 worth of new CDs!

Bill

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

I have to agree with Andrew... if you get a CD player, you have no options down the road. Whereas if you got the DAC1, you could put it on any CD player, music server, etc.

AJ
          AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• SteveJ60
            • Nov 2004

Thanks for all your input. I was leaning towards the DAC1, my only concern is - would using the denon DVD player as a CD transport introduce jitter etc. and result a dedicated CD player outperforming the Denon+DAC combo? May I assume from your comments that this is not something to worry about?

Thanks again!!

Steve

Comment

• Bill Blank
              • Sep 2002

Thanks for all your input. I was leaning towards the DAC1, my only concern is - would using the denon DVD player as a CD transport introduce jitter etc. and result a dedicated CD player outperforming the Denon+DAC combo? May I assume from your comments that this is not something to worry about?
              That I can't say. I think you should be questioning spending nearly double on the DAC 1 that you would on the Arcam 73. For $1000 you could get a much better Arcam.

Bill

Comment

• ajpoe
                • Jul 2004

according to the tests, the DAC1 removes any jitter that the Denon may introduce. that's why so many people are falling in love with it.... me included.

AJ
                AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• Steve Goff
                  • Feb 2002

The DAC1 contains resampling circuitry that makes it essentially imune to source jitter problems.
                  Steve Goff

Comment

• SteveJ60
                    • Nov 2004

Thanks for everyone's comments/suggestions. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a local store that can get me a DAC1 to demo. I'll try to keep you posted as per my decision.

Steve

Comment

• watchthewaves
                      • Jul 2004

Steve,
                      Benchmark being a pro audio company, not likely that you'll see the DAC1 in your usual hifi outlets. Look for pro audio retailers instead. Or order online direct from Benchmark and return the unit within 30 days if it doesn't suit you.

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Steve, follow this link and it'll take you to Benchmark's dealer-locator page.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"