X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goskers
    • Jun 2004

Benchmark or Apogee Mini-dac

Hey all,

After doing a lot of research on using my PC as a source I have come to the conclusion that it is a very good idea. If you can use your usb outs then you can eliminate the jitter until your dac decodes the signal. If you get the right dac, one with a usb input, then you may have a very good source on your hands.

Of the two main ones that I could find I am trying to decide between the very well received Benchmark DAC1 and the Apogee Mini-DAC. The DAC1 has been getting very good reviews while the Mini-DAC is a little more unknown. From what I know about pro gear, Apogee typically produces a very good product. We all know the Benchmark is very good from some reputable sources here. :T

One of the main things that concerns me with the decision is the internal design of the boards. Is the Benchmark layed out with good ground planes and a well thought out usb board? Is the Mini-dac designed better than the DAC1?

Any input regarding the issues of using either of these as my DAC would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    wasser
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The DAC1 is designed for prosound applications, it doesn't have USB circuits. It has spdif and toslink inputs

It's probably the best DAC to use with a PC, given it's reclocking abilities and resulting very low jitter.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• goskers
      • Jun 2004

Whoops, for some reason I thought the DAC1 had a usb input on it. Isn't it true that jitter will be greatly reduced in general if you can use a usb output of the computer directly into an outboard dac vs using a SPDIF out?

Thanks

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I don't have any info about using usb as an interface with DACs. I never considered using a PC as a source unit I bought a DAC1. Now I'll probably build a music server, but only when I have enough cash to buy a second DAC1.

With the DAC1; jitter as a result of the interface is a moot point, since everything is reclocked by the unit.

Many people call toslink connections "trash-link" given it's problems with jitter. I A/B' ed toslink vs spdif using a high-end transport in my main system. With the DAC1 there's no audible difference between the two.

I A/B'ed the toslink output of my high-end transport against the toslink output of a 7yr old 5 disc carousel player. Again no audible difference with the DAC1 in the loop

IMO that makes the DAC1 'the' choice for use with a PC based system.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bruce
          • Aug 2000

The best bet using usb from a PC seems to involve usb's asynchronous mode of operation rather than synchrounous mode to avoid a variable PLL clock frequency (jitter). I gather this is similiar to what the DAC1 does by itself (buffering plus reclocking).

Unfortunately many of the usb to S/PDIF converters are using synchronous mode and thus are not improving the jitter (some may actually make it worse).
          Bruce

Comment

• goskers
            • Jun 2004

Hi Bruce,

The Apogee uses the same theory of operation as the DAC1 then with the dual clocks, the first one being a buffer.

I am pretty sure that Apogee is generally very well regarded in the pro market for digital applications but I am just not sure overall. Anyone have any experience with Apogee gear?

I understand that these 'buffered' dac's really make jitter less of an issue but couldn't they be better even if you make jitter spec's very small in the first place?

wasser

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"