X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martyn
    • Feb 2006

Universal player

Hi, guys.

I'm about to buy an Arcam DV137 universal player. Before I do, I thought I'd canvas your opinions on alternatives for a couple of reasons. First, the Arcam is really more money than I want to spend, although I'm prepared to do so if it's warranted. Second, my local dealer stopped carrying Arcam a couple of years ago, and my next nearest has got out of the retail business in favour of custom HT work. He will bring one in for me as a special order, but this makes it close to impossible for me to audition one.

The DV137 seemed to have some firmware probablems when it was introduced in 2006, although I think they've since been resolved. So is there a universal player below US$2,000 that is as good or better than the Arcam? Two-channel audio quality is more important than movies to me. Thanks for your help on this.
  • zmanbands
    • May 2007

Get a Sony DVP s9000es used for about $350

There are some on audiogon. They are REALLY good as is. Plus there are Sony's modified on audiogon that will smoke anything you can find at $2000. I just had a s9000es modded for $1600 and nothing can touch it in the $6000 range.

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by zmanbands
      Get a Sony DVP s9000es used for about $350
      Not a universal, no DVD-A... but modding is a good suggestion... several mod shops work on less-expensive Pioneers, Marantz, Denon with good results.

Originally posted by Martyn
      So is there a universal player below US$2,000 that is as good or better than the Arcam? Two-channel audio quality is more important than movies to me
      If that means redbook performance, I'd get an Oppo and a serious outboard DAC... but if your two-channel quality includes DVD-A and SACD, you should consider modded units – or – just stick with that hard-to-beat Arcam... seems a good fit with the rest of your system.

Treat yourself.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• zmanbands
        • May 2007

Dvd-a

If you look around, you will see very few DVD-a discs. My guess is there are 10 times as many SACD's. Even so your redbook library if extensive is what to aim at. BTW the sony s9000es will not play CD-R CD's.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gd

If that means redbook performance, I'd get an Oppo and a serious outboard DAC...
          That was the first thing that I thought, too. Oppo with a Benchmark.

And just the thought of 'Mods' sounds so........exclusive!
          And I mean that in a good way, and besides, it's a green, low carb. f.p. thing to do!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Martyn
            • Feb 2006

Yes, I have been buying SACDs for a while and have found that the audio quality is usually better than with redbook CDs. I don't know whether this is because the CD layer really is better, or simply because usually a lot more effort went into the recording and production. Anyway, being able to play them is important to me, and I can hardly wait to try the SACD layer!

I also find it irritating that my present player can't play burnt discs. This isn't much of a problem with audio CDs because I don't have any, but it is a problem with DVDs because I have 20 years of home video that will all end up on DVD eventually. So this ability is important to me as well.

I've been considering the Denon 3930 as well and could get it for about 60% of the price of the Arcam, but by the time it's been modded I doubt that I'll have saved anything (probably have spent more, in fact).

It does seem that Arcam has found a niche above the mass market products but below the really expensive exotica. Let me know if you have any other suggestions, guys...I'll probably make the decision next week.

Comment

• zmanbands
              • May 2007

Sony e9000es plays DVD

If you make a Dvd will it play it? Don't know. Does anyone know? You asked for feedback. Seems your mind is made up. Spend the $2000 and move on. You could have done it for $350 though!!! Yikes!!!

Comment

• riceaterslc
                • Aug 2006

i recently purchased a used marantz dv9600. i am extremely happy with the purchase. redbook playback is very good. unfortunately, i have no experience w/ any arcam units so i cannot make a comparison. good luck with your search. :T
                chris

Comment

• zmanbands
                  • May 2007

Vacuum State Level 5 Mods to my Sony e9000es player

FWIW: When trying to decide if I wanted to spend $1600 on mods for my 9000, I asked the VS agent in Virginia [BILL], What CD players on the market "NOW' sounded better than this VS modded 9000? Bill,the owner,said there was only one and it cost $16,000. Now I had spoken and emailed Bill many times asking questions in the preceeding weeks. I found him to be a no nonsense straight talker, so I put a lot of credence in his comment. If you aren't satisfied with the mods, Bill will take them back out and give a full refund less S&H. Plus he gives a 5 year warranty, parts and labor for the mods he makes. I have no connection to Bill or VS [Vacuum State] The modded player sounds great.

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

Onkyo DV-SP1000

I have had this player for several years now, and can still heartily recommend it. It upscales to 720p/1080i via HDMI, and the sound quality for SACD and DVD-A is fantastic!
                    Brad

Comment

• zmanbands
                      • May 2007

onkyo dv-sp1000 on audiogon for $700

I have no experience with this brand. List retail says $2000 new. You may be able to talk down the price a bit. I did not read the description of it's condition etc.

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by zmanbands
                        There are some on audiogon. They are REALLY good as is. Plus there are Sony's modified on audiogon that will smoke anything you can find at $2000. I just had a s9000es modded for $1600 and nothing can touch it in the $6000 range.

While I too have enjoyed listening to Dan Wrights modded players and have heard very good things about Allen's, I doubt very much that your player will "smoke" shall we say an Esoteric DV-60 for example. As is the case when alot of people get something "modded' they assume that nothing from an original Mfgr. will compare........BS !!! Don't get me wrong Steve Huntley years ago "modded" my ARC SP-9 mkII and I couldn't have been happier, was it light years better than anything else, of course not.
                        Dave

Comment

• twitch54
                          • Apr 2006

Hi, guys.

Two-channel audio quality is more important than movies to me. Thanks for your help on this.

Buy the Cambridge Audio 840c along with a cheap Oppo for your DVD movies, save yourself $500 over the Arcam scenario.
                          Dave

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

If you're principally into CD and DVD for movies, go with twitche's recommendation. If you're into SACD, then the Arcam or a Marantz SA15 would be units to listen to. I have a lot more SACDs that most folks, I expect, just because a lot of what's available fits my tastes, and they DO sound better than CDs, both because of the media and more stringent mastering efforts on the disks.

But to each his own... I have a Benchmark, it's a great unit, but given that the 840C has a nice transport built in, AND accepts external inputs, if CD is your thing, I'd suggest going with one of those. But with a budget of 2K, and if you want SACD give a listen to the SA-15 before you spend your schekels. I own an SA-11s, which I'm quite happy with. And I'd like an SA-7, but I haven't got the $6500...

~Jon
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Martyn
                              • Feb 2006

This is for a system that will do service for SACD audio and 5.1 HT. The Marantz SA-15 looks like a terrific machine, but it's not a DVD player. So maybe the likely alternatives to the Arcam are the Marantz DV9600 and the Denon 3930. The Arcam has another advantage in that it's a 120/240V player, and it's possible that I might retire to 240-land in five or ten years (and I do like to buy equipment that's good enough to last at least that long). Not sure about the Marantz voltage, but I'll check.

My second system will be 2-channel only, but I think I'll try a music server with a CD drive and external DAC for that (so many projects; so little time).

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                That was the first thing that I thought, too. Oppo with a Benchmark.

Anything with a "Benchmark" DAC sounds amazing... 8O

(worlds greatest audio secret...)

Comment

• Music4Life
                                  • May 2006

"I've been considering the Denon 3930 as well and could get it for about 60% of the price of the Arcam..."

I have the Denon 3930 for a week now and now I decided to sell my Cayin CDT-17A (used for 4 months) because the sonic difference for 2 channel is the same if not better. Plus the Denon plays SACD and HDCD which is far better resolution than regular CD's. The DAC used in this machine is BB 1796 which is the newest and most advance 24bit/192 khz DAC made by Burr Brown. Movies are good as well.

Comment

• Martyn
                                    • Feb 2006

Up-date...

Well, I'd pretty much decided on the 3930Ci when I was given the opportunity to listen to a Naim CD5i alongside Cambridge and Rotel universal players. The Naim won.

Since I'm not all that interested in multi-channel audio (except for HT), I'm now considering whether I should aim for a high quality CD player instead of a universal player - I suspect that the SQ from the CD layer of an SACD will be at least as good as from the 24 bit layer on a universal player at my price point. Any comments on this? I'd live with my current DVD player for for movies for the time being.

The Naim is about $1,800 and seems to be highly regarded. Is there a more compelling alternative player or is there a Benchmark + ?? player that would improve on the Naim for the same cost? Thanks in advance,

Martyn

Comment

• Blindamood
                                      • Sep 2003

The Naim is about $1,800 and seems to be highly regarded. Is there a more compelling alternative player or is there a Benchmark + ?? player that would improve on the Naim for the same cost?
                                      For that price, I would also suggest checking out the NAD M5 (SACD/CD player) or the NAD M55 (universal player). Both list for $1799 and have gotten very good reviews.
                                      Brad

Comment

• Fred333
                                        • Oct 2007

Thanks for the suggestion I have been in the market for on around $2000. Thanks for the options.
                                        Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

• Martyn
                                          • Feb 2006

Another up-date

Since doing a listening test earlier this week in which I compared a Naim CD5i with Rotel and CA players, yesterday I had the opportunity to compare the Naim with a 3930CI. Again, the Naim won. The Naim had a little more clarity and life. Both machines retail at about the same price, although the Denon clearly offers many more features for the money and seems to be more heavily discounted as well when you start to haggle, but the Naim sounds better for stereo. I now have one "on approval" for the weekend. The weather forecast is for rain, so I guess the gods must be on my side.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"