X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bordin
    • Apr 2005

Modded RCD-1072 sounds even better !!

Hi,

I was very happy with my Rotel RCD-1072 bought a couple months ago until I took it to do A/B testing with a modded old Rotel CDP. The modded unit wins hands down. :T The 1072 sounds very good actually. I had compared it with other models before I made my decision.

My unit was modded, with a new Analog Device opamps, better non-bipolar capacitors (at the output stage), and new RCA jacks ("purer" copper), plus an audiophile grade AC cord.

I tested the unit with Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter. The modded unit sounds clearer, darker background, more detailed, more dynamic and sharper staging. I believe the major effects come from the new opamps and capacitors.

1072 sounds great but you can make it even better. :P

FYI.
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

Where'd you get it modded and how much? I've heard of similar mods for other players, curious as to what it would run on a Rotel player
    My gear

Comment

• ironchef
      • Feb 2005

Bordin, that's great that your 1072 sounds even better, I'm sure it makes a few of us curious about the potential of our own players.
      Can you be more specific about the model numbers and manufacturers of the op-amps and caps? Also, in addition to where you had it done, what did it cost you? Can you specifically say what type of improvements you noticed (e.g. tighter/fuller bass, more midrange clarity, soundstage, even very subjectively, like 'more sparkle' etc).

Comment

• Spearmint
        • Sep 2004

Instead of getting my 1072 modded I am currently looking to add an external DAC. I have heard the 1072 coupled with an external DAC and it does make a difference, along the line of what Bordin is describing.

One of the ones I am considering is the Benchmark DAC1, there is a thread about them here with a link to a review. Although there are plenty of others available.

Benchmark DAC1 thread
        Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• EAmin
          • Aug 2004

Well, I modified the hell out of my 1072.

New Opamps (BB 627s)
          New Blackgate Capicitors
          New Clock (LC Audio)
          Bybee Slipstream Purifiers
          New Feet
          and much more (see attachment)

Note: I did not change the DAC.

I had the unit (after it was modded) sent to my dealer so we could A/B test against the stock 1072. My dealer burned it in putting about 50 hours on it before I came over.

A/B Test March 20, 2005: Stock vs. Modded

We used an RC1070, RB1080 with a pair of 805Ss with an NRG-3 audioquest power cord and audioquest cables (can't remember which ones though). The stock 1072 was set to the CD inputs while mine was set to the Aux inputs. Note: I use a 1098 home with 703s, AQ King Cobras ICs with an NRG-3 audioquest power cord plugged into a Monster HTS-5100.

We listened to some Sinatra tracks he liked to test with, I had a Josh Groban CD that we listened to as well, and the newest U2 CD. I don't have as good of an ear as you guys probably do since I'm still a newbie, but I could actually hear the bass was MUCH more extended. The stock 1072 was way too polite when it came to bass. This was right up my ally. Very nice.

But at the same time, I also noticed that my newly modded 1072 seemed a little closed in the midrange area. My dealer could hear it too. It was very laid back, which is maybe a good thing as some of the Rotel products seem to be very forward at times. However, it seemed like the stock 1072 filled the room better and was more open than mine. I didn't know if it was my player still breaking in or if it was the crappy acoustics in the demo room, but my modded player did not seem as good as the stock when it came to the mids. It was very disappointing after all of the money that I spent.

I took it home, and played around with it the very same night. I think my acoustics are better than the shop as I did notice it was much clearer in the detail. I put in Norah Jones (1st album, 1st track) and it sounded MUCH more natural --- more real. I could hear the gasps for air and other subtlities that I didn't seem to hear before. And I noticed my image got bigger --- not necessarily wider, but taller. I know it sounds really weird, this what I'm hearing. But it did seem to sound again, more laid back and not as open as what I heard earlier.

I burned it in more letting it play (with little or no volume) for about 4 days straight (REPEAT ALL the whole way through). I did not notice too much of change from the original night of bringing it home.

Honestly, there are times when I say --- wow, that sounds better, especially vocals. And others when I say, hmmm - I don't remember that recording sounding that bad. I don't know if I'm hearing the CD as it was recorded (good or bad) or if different music reacts better than others with my player. I guess I'm not sure --- I need to do more listening. But I can't help but wonder if I just did too much to it where it might have backfired. Maybe the sum of the parts is not greater than the whole in my particular situation.

At any rate, I'm going to keep playing with it. One of the guys in the store said that it could be the power cord I'm using. He told me a story about his friends player not sounding good with an AQ power cord, but sounding good using other brands --- even the stock.

Maybe I can also do another A/B test with the stock 1072 or take my player to other shops to have them take a look.

I just thought I would share my experience.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

EAmin,

I'm shocked to hear your feedback. Curious to hear who modded it but understand if you don't want to name.

It might be the Bybee slipstream purifier. Where did you put it - in the Power supply? While some are strong proponents of Bybees other equally competent engineers will argue that dynamics may really suffer and generally recommend against them.
            Adz

Comment

• bordin
              • Apr 2005

Hi,

I live outside the US and visited a local hi-fi shop where the technicians've worked on custom-made hi-fi systems more than 10 years. I always trust their ears. Some components are very hard to find, but the shop still carries old stocks, like Elna Certified capacitors in my modded 1072. The opamps is from AD. I don't have info about the model, but I think you can check with mod shops what top opamps are. I came across many places where AD opamps are more preferrable. The stock Blurr-Brown opamps is cheaper, I think. Such AD opamps are military grade.

The best thing you can do is to do A/B testing before making your decision, as I did. However, you may pick a shop where you trust the most and pick the best components you can get. I paid around $90 for the mod, excluding the audiophile cable (around $50).

ironchef, the sonics are better in every aspect you mentioned. An external DAC might be better, but I would suggest you audition it first. At the moment I'm extremely happy with my modded 1072. $90 mod price is a lot cheaper than an external DAC. 1072's stock DAC is quite good, filled with very high details !!!

I have Tube Driver Blue 275 installed in my car (replaced my old Soundstream Class A amp). TDB275 sounds wonderful :T I would say it is the best amp I've ever heard. You get terrific tube sonics at high power, with no tubes replacement ! I'm thinking to get Bulter's new preamp, comming soon. It must be the best compliment to my modded 1072. Their TDB home hi-fi systems should be excellent, but beyond my budget. Tube Drive Blue Review

You can improve sound quality by replacing other components as well. Your new DAC may not be cheap, you may get a new amplifier/preamplifier or new speakers instead. My bookshelf speakers are custom-made using the top model of ScanSpeak's Revelator. Audition ScanSpeak drivers and you may not need a new DAC, but new speakers instead. See ScanSpeak Here BTW, I made a dedicated AC ground for my hi-fi system.

Enjoy the journey, but be patient folks. :
              Last edited by bordin; 05 April 2005, 09:58 Tuesday.

Comment

• rhoffman000
                • Sep 2004

EAmin,

I was just curious if you guys happened to use an SPL meter to match the levels of the two players before testing?

Comment

• spiffnme
                  • Apr 2003

I could hear the gasps for air and other subtlities that I didn't seem to hear before.
                  Hmm...I've got a cheap Pioneer DV-563 uni player and I can hear these subtle gasps. I hate to burst your bubble, but perhaps you just weren't listening as carefully before, as you weren't trying to hear all those subtle sounds before the mod. ??? Just a thought.

I'm sure the RCD-1072 sounds better than my Pioneer, but all those little details are still present, even on a cheap player.

Comment

• EAmin
                    • Aug 2004

Good for you, spiffnme.
                    Originally posted by spiffnme
                    Hmm...I've got a cheap Pioneer DV-563 uni player and I can hear these subtle gasps. I hate to burst your bubble, but perhaps you just weren't listening as carefully before, as you weren't trying to hear all those subtle sounds before the mod. ??? Just a thought.

I'm sure the RCD-1072 sounds better than my Pioneer, but all those little details are still present, even on a cheap player.

Comment

• spiffnme
                      • Apr 2003

I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$. I in fact am considering getting that RCD-1072 myself. You sounded a bit disapointed in your mod, and I was pointing out that prior to getting it modded, you likely weren't listening nearly as critically.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Sorry.

Comment

• bordin
                        • Apr 2005

Do A/B testing and you'll be sure about differences between players. All CDPs deliver details but in different extent and "quality" (personal preferrences). I chose 1072 after A/B testing RCD-1072 against RCD-2, and other models. And I decided to mod my 1072 after the test against a modded unit.

My 2 cents. :W

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"