B&W 705 and modded Jolida 302b (LOVE IT!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legion1capone
    • Oct 2008

B&W 705 and modded Jolida 302b (LOVE IT!)

I had the chance awhile back to buy the B&W 705's for $1000 a pair at a local dealer. I searched long and hard for a bookshelf that suited my needs. They definately hit the spot! I had listened to them starting out with Rotel, Marantz, Azur, Classe, Mcintosh and a couple others. Out of all the differant amps I tried with these speakers I really like the Mcintosh MA6300 and MA6600. It was just really sweet, smooth, subtably detailed and enjoyable. The salesman told me there newer MA series was there shot at making a solid state amp sound more like tubes. I think they did a very good job portraying this. The only problem was I didn't exactly have $4000+ to spend on a new or used amp. Since I really liked the new sound of the Mcintosh MA6600 I decided to look into tubes online. I read review after review. Days of reading, until I stumbled across Jolida. I decided to keep my eye on audiogon and ebay for a modified Jolida. I stumbled across a modded 302b, I ended up paying a total of $621 shipped without hearing the amp. It has modded caps, couplers, and resistors. Along with Tung sol 12ax7 and russian EL34's power tubes. When It arrived It was a decent looking piece. Nothing spectacular, but hey it was modded and came with really nice tubes. I bought some stands on craigslist. Made my own cables using audioquest cables and monster banana plugs. Never hearing my speakers with full tubes I was a little worried that I wouldn't like it, but had a good notion that I had made a good choice. I was used to giving these speakers 100-200W, this amp was only rated at 50W. I hooked it all up got everything working properly and let the amp warm up a bit. What a beautiful sound! I now don't judge amps by power ratings, as tubes are completely differant than solid state equipment. But the amp that I only spent $600 on. WOW! My favorite jazz cd's, woman's vocals, live recordings sound detailed, natural, warm, smooth, and oh so enjoyable to listen to for hours on end. The bass was a bit lacking but with a bit of speaker adjustment and setup helped that tremendously. I knew I would have less bass since it was a bookshelf speaker. I may mod on of the inputs to a subwoofer out since I use this system to watch movies too. If your looking for a budget 2 channel system I would highly recommend a system such as this. All together I payed right around $1800 with some budget shopping. I now have a system that blows away friends and family and puts a smile on my face every time I listen to music! What more could you ask for!
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Nice testimony. I've heard lots of great things about how different tubes sound compared to SS amps. I have never had the chance to listen to any tubes. But I'm glad to hear that you found a great setup that you are happy with.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

You should try them Audioqueso. I like the ones that I have heard. They would suit the 805 as much as they suit the bouncing guys 705.

I have toyed with the idea of taking my 705 from the rear, putting them in a room with a tube amp, maybe get a modest turntable of use one of the cheapies I have in the back room and have an old school vinyl rig. Will probably never happen but its a fun idea. Thing is my current SS setup has some of the characteristics that people seek from tune/vinyl anyway.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• legion1capone
        • Oct 2008

Tubes with these speakers is just such a sweet sweet sound its hard to stop listening. The one thing I might do differantly next time is instead of getting a tube amp powered by EL34's, I will go with KT88 power tubes to help out with the bass extention.
        My next big purchase down the road is going to be modified Jolida JD100 cd player and a nice turntable. As of right now I am using my PS3 as my player for games, movies, and music. It does a pretty good job, but I would eventually like seperate components.
        Last edited by legion1capone; 20 January 2009, 14:00 Tuesday. Reason: added more

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Briz vegas
          You should try them Audioqueso. I like the ones that I have heard. They would suit the 805 as much as they suit the bouncing guys 705.
          It's tempting, but I don't think I could compromise HT for 2-channel. I have a Nautilus 805/HTM2 front with 600s in the rear, and it's been a journey looking for the right 2-ch sound while still maintaining HT capabilities. With $4k to toy with, McIntosh has caught my attention, but with that budget I can only look into their integrated amps, and that's only 2-channel. With HT in mind, Arcam's new AVR600 is also getting my attention, but will it do justice for my 805's? It's never-ending. :B

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

You can have it all, but is tends to be expensive as I found out.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

ha ha... yes, I know... but as mentioned, I only have $4k to play with.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Mc275 ?

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

... but then it comes back to only 2-channel. ha ha See... it's a trap. Can't have both.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"