Interesting Questions: Inquiry minds would love to know???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Interesting Questions: Inquiry minds would love to know???

Hi All,

Very high end processors are supposed to have good analogue pass through, yet not up to par when comparing to high end pre-amps for pure stereo listening.

Two questions: Is it possible to have both an independent pre-amp to run the two front speakers then run into a pre/processor with the rest of the set-up. Also, are there any 3 channel stereo pre-amps (left, center, right channels).

Inquiry minds would like to know and learn !! :roll:

Thank you In anticipation ,and for your kind help everyone. :W

Regards and cheers ;x(
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

No help on these questions yet!! Ouch friends!!
    Cheers!

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by chinets
      Very high end processors are supposed to have good analogue pass through, yet not up to par when comparing to high end pre-amps for pure stereo listening.

Two questions: Is it possible to have both an independent pre-amp to run the two front speakers then run into a pre/processor with the rest of the set-up.
      Yes, using your I/C cables, run the front-left and front-right outputs from your pre-pro to one set of inputs on your 2-ch preamp. Run I/C's from your 2-ch preamp to the amp that you use for your front-left and front-right speakers.

When you listen to your two channel source/s, everything runs normally.

When you want to use your pre-pro, you must select the input on your 2-ch pre that you ran the I/C's to.
      Once you hook it up this way, you must calibrate the volume on the 2-ch preamp to match the volume setting on the pre-pro. This is easily done with your Radio Shack SPL meter. Once you have the volume calibrated, mark the position of the volume knob on the 2-ch pre for future reference. I use a little white arrow with adhesive on the back, but a small piece of tape would work just as well.
      Also, are there any 3 channel stereo pre-amps (left, center, right channels).(
      I have seen multi channel pre's, I don't know if there is a three channel one, though.
      Last edited by wkhanna; 22 August 2007, 10:21 Wednesday. Reason: Clarification / Spelling
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
        I have seen multi channel pre's, I don't know if there is a three channel one, though.
        That's because there's no need for one. An independent 3 channel preamp, used with another for the remaining channels, would leave the user needing to coordinate volume levels on two devices.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

There are two channel Preamps with pass through modes like the Ayre K5xe that have a pass through mode for integration into an HT setup.

K5xe spec PDF

The weak point for most Pre-Pro's trying to do high end audio (IMO) is the specific electronic volume control chips that virtually ALL processors in the industry use from Cirrus Logic, the CS33XX family. Volume controls of any type are a problem, and these just aren't SOTA solutions if you're used to things like good Shalco silver contact switched ladder attenuators, some of the transformer switched attenuators, or the custom JFET controlled solution that Ayre uses.

For as simple a concept as a line level preamp with volume control is, they're surprisingly hard to get really "right". A quick comparison of many premps against a good passive design with short high quality cables direct into your power amps will reveal this pretty well if you have good source components. Even with average source components, you'll probably readily pick up on this.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• zmanbands
            • May 2007

Jon

Do you know what type volume controls are on an Audio Research Sp 11? There are two of them.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

Hi All,

Two questions: Is it possible to have both an independent pre-amp to run the two front speakers then run into a pre/processor with the rest of the set-up. Also, are there any 3 channel stereo pre-amps (left, center, right channels).

Inquiry minds would like to know and learn !! :roll:

Thank you In anticipation ,and for your kind help everyone. :W

Regards and cheers ;x(
              Classe' SSP-600
              works great with any 2 channel Pre (see James Dean)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by zmanbands
                Do you know what type volume controls are on an Audio Research Sp 11? There are two of them.
                They're 22 position detented conductive plastic potentiometers. Certainly ahead of the digital attenuator controls Pre-Pros usually use.

The SP11 is an interesting piece, responsible for ARC's comeback after introducing some pretty mediocre solid state components (i.e., D100). The first volume control is mainly there to prevent overloading of the input stage gain block. The SP11 is a somewhat quirky design from the viewpoint of user interface, but it's a great sounding preamp for it's day (circa 1986), especially if you have a vinyl setup.

~Jon
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Hi John.
                  I was recently investigating passive pre-amps, and the possibility of making my own.

With a kit like this, would it be reasonable to expect improvements in the SQ of a mid-level system like mine using a CA 640 CDp, Rotel RM990BX, and 67 litre Nat P's?
                  I plan on adding a TT ($600 range) in the near future with a tube phono stage, which is what led me to the consideration of a passive pre.
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• zmanbands
                    • May 2007

Thanks Jon

I don't have my Oracle TT working at present. My Sp 11 was just in the factory for the first time in 21 years. They did an overhaul and upgraded the phono stage. The later they did for free without my asking. Fantastic customer support. Wkhanna, when you get your TT bring it over and we will try some of my 1000 LP's.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      Hi John.
                      I was recently investigating passive pre-amps, and the possibility of making my own.

With a kit like this, would it be reasonable to expect improvements in the SQ of a mid-level system like mine using a CA 640 CDp, Rotel RM990BX, and 67 litre Nat P's?
                      I plan on adding a TT ($600 range) in the near future with a tube phono stage, which is what led me to the consideration of a passive pre.
                      Don't know how that one would do- the price is certainly reasonable, but I wonder what the switch contacts are and how'll they'll hold up.

The Marchand PR41 is available with a Shallco rotary switch volume control with coin silver contacts; I have one and can speak to the quality; it's the same kind of switched volume attenuator used in the top of the line Ayre active preamp. You can also buy just the attenuator assembly, if you're adding it to your own DIY project. They can do balanced versions and multichannel versions; probably the optimum way to work with a DCX2496, using a straight digital input.

I use the PR41 for speaker testing and for voicing testing straight through into an Aragon 8008. Mine is the 46 step version with Shallco switch of course.

Take a look at this page.
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

Maybe I should just have it shipped to your place, since I currently have Zero number of those big black round thingies!
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh

Take a look at this page.
                          Thank you, Sir Jon ;x(
                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                            There are two channel Preamps with pass through modes like the Ayre K5xe that have a pass through mode for integration into an HT setup.

K5xe spec PDF

The weak point for most Pre-Pro's trying to do high end audio (IMO) is the specific electronic volume control chips that virtually ALL processors in the industry use from Cirrus Logic, the CS33XX family. Volume controls of any type are a problem, and these just aren't SOTA solutions if you're used to things like good Shalco silver contact switched ladder attenuators, some of the transformer switched attenuators, or the custom JFET controlled solution that Ayre uses.

For as simple a concept as a line level preamp with volume control is, they're surprisingly hard to get really "right". A quick comparison of many premps against a good passive design with short high quality cables direct into your power amps will reveal this pretty well if you have good source components. Even with average source components, you'll probably readily pick up on this.

~Jon
                            Jon
                            What about the Conrad Johson CA200 - surely that has to have a high quality volume control? (also has theatre pass through). As a control amp it has a passive pre stage - I heard it the other day and it was pretty sweet.
                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"