X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KrisKeen
    • Sep 2006

Please help me clear this in my head :)

Hi Guys

I've decided I'm going to add a high quality 2CH preamp into my existing Home Theatre setup.

Currently, my system comprises of:

Rotel RSP-1066 (Great for my HT needs)
    Rotel RMB-1075 (Great for HT, but lacking in 2CH) Replacement Bryston 9B THX
    Pioneer 989. (Using as a Transport to my RSP-1066 for 2CH Audio)
    Bryston BP16 (PreAmp for 2CH Sources)
    Focal 1007 be Bookshelves speakers

Currently, the Rotel just sounds flat with 2CH sources but great for HT. I've decided rather then rather lash out $10k for a great 2CH/HT Prepro (Bryston SP2) I'm going to keep my Rotel Processor and add in a Bryston BP-16 PreAmp

Can you tell me how the HT Bypass works? I want to use my Pioneer 989 (optical or can I use the 2CH analog output and use Pioneers AUDIO only mode) to the Bryston BP16 and use the Bryston DACs for 2CH. If I use digital, assume I dont need to run 2 sets of digital connections for DVD & CD? 1 to the Bryston for 2CH and one to the RSP for HT?

When I want to use the Pioneer 989 for DVD-A/SACD and more importantly, DVD Video how do I go about getting the Audio through to my RSP-1066?

Further, how does volume control? does the bypass mean I dont need to match volumes on the RSP/BP16?

Thanks guys
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Good idea!

Kris,

I think that's a great idea what you have planned out here.

With the HT Bypass, it becomes quite simple really. All you do is hook up the L/R amps to the amp outs of the Bryston. Then connect the L/R outs on from the Rotel to say the Aux input on teh Bryston. Also, hook up your Pioneer Transport to the CD input of the Bryston.

Each time you want to listen to music, you simply hit the CD input on the Bryston. The Rotel pre / pro can remain off and you control the volume from teh Bryston. However, each time you want to watch a movie, you simply hit Aux on the Bryston, and hit HT bypass. This would simply - well - "bypass" your Bryston pre, and allow volume control to the Rotel pre / pro.

Kris, keep in mind that I believe that the DAC's on the brystons are not standard.

Also, I'm assuming your dvd player is connected to the Rotel and is not listed in the above list, right?

What center speakers do you have to go with the JM Labs? Those are simply stunning speakers... I would strongly suggest taking them out of the HT setup and getting them into a nicely built 2 channel setup when you can afford to do so. It always pains me seeing such works of art underperforming in HT.

Good luck,

Fauzi

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

That's the way to do it, only thing you have to remember is that you MUST calibrate the Bryston to match the output on the Rotel. So if you have the Rotel at 55, the Bryston is at an equal volume with the Rotel (through use of a sound meter). This way you L/R won't be under or over powered.

You'll also have to mark that spot of, so when you watch HT stuff, you reset it to that volume.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• pearsall001
        • Dec 2005

That's exactly why I purchased the Conrad Johnson PV14L tube preamp. It works like a charm in both HT & 2 channel. For HT I just hit the bypass on the remote & my NAD receiver takes care of business from there. For 2 channel listening the NAD is off & the CJ now takes care of business. With this set up I have the best of both worlds. The SVS sub is only on with the NAD in HT mode. I don't use the sub for 2 channel.

Comment

• alpina
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
          That's the way to do it, only thing you have to remember is that you MUST calibrate the Bryston to match the output on the Rotel. So if you have the Rotel at 55, the Bryston is at an equal volume with the Rotel (through use of a sound meter). This way you L/R won't be under or over powered.

You'll also have to mark that spot of, so when you watch HT stuff, you reset it to that volume.
          Hi Pewter,

I thought you didn't have to do that with the HT bypass on the BP16 as its this function that sets its apart from the rest of the bryston family (ie, BP6 and 26)?

BTW, nice choice KrisKeen

Cheers,

Julie
          My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

You're right, I don't have Bryston equipment, but switching to pass-through mode on the BP16 and it sets the levels back to "1" (as they say) which is whatever volume/tonal balance comes in, it goes out that way. So all you have to do is that.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• KrisKeen
              • Sep 2006

Hi Guys

Thanks Fauzi! Thats perfect!

The Pioneer Transport is my CD & DVD player (Pioneer DV-989 AVI). I use this for both DVD and CD duties. This would mean for HT, that I would connect it to the Rotel RSP directly via Optical (let the RSP decode the Dolby stuff) and I would also connect it via the Preamplifier. Do I connect it to the Preamplifier via the Analog 2CH outputs? Would doing this mean my Pioneer is doing the D/A conversion? This is not what I want - the Byrston Preamp (or preamp I choose to buy) would do these duties.

I, like Julie thought the HT Bypass solved the issue with 'volume' do I still need to calibrate both the volumes? This seems like a pain.

The Focal's will be my 2CH speakers and also my main HT speakers. I want to utilise them for both. Center speaker would the the Focal Electra BE also, but this is not in the setup yet. I am transitioning from B&W 603 series to Electra BE series. At the moment my Center is a LCR600 B&W not all that great for the Focals but I will replace that in due time.

For now, I want to concentrate on getting the Byrston 9B THX in and the Preamplifier in. Unforunately, budget does not stretch to have ANOTHER 2 Channel amplifier strictly for my Front speakers. And having 7 channels of amplification for me is a waste.

Regards
              Kris

Comment

• KrisKeen
                • Sep 2006

Can I ask a stupid question and also get some suggestions:

What 2CH preamp should I be looking at for around $1000 AUD used? It must have bypass to intergrate into my HT system as I dont really want to muck around with two volumes.

Further, am I write in saying that if I connect my Pioneer 989 via the analogue outputs to a 2ch preamp's analogue (CD) inputs, the preamp does all the processing before sending it to the power amp?

Comment

• KrisKeen
                  • Sep 2006

I've noticied that Bryston has a few preamps.

If I'm to use my Pioneer 989 as a transport, I believe I'd need the BP-25 DA or BP-16, both VERY expensive right?

If I use my Pioneer 989 from its analogue outputs (I assume the Pioneer 989 does the D/A conversion) I could use ANY preamplifier with bypass, right?

My question is, without spending a FORTUNE which is the best way to improve my 2CH?

Im really confused by all the preamps and bits and pieces now

Comment

• fauzigarib
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by KrisKeen
                    I've noticied that Bryston has a few preamps.

If I'm to use my Pioneer 989 as a transport, I believe I'd need the BP-25 DA or BP-16, both VERY expensive right?

If I use my Pioneer 989 from its analogue outputs (I assume the Pioneer 989 does the D/A conversion) I could use ANY preamplifier with bypass, right?

My question is, without spending a FORTUNE which is the best way to improve my 2CH?

Im really confused by all the preamps and bits and pieces now

KrisKeen,

Woah! Relax!!! Your post read like you were having a panic attack!

To answer your central question, no, you would not have to muck around with two different volume controls. That's what HT bypass does. It shuts of the pre amp section of the integrated amp (in your case, the Bryston) and lends the control to the unit connected into that input. In fact, once you do the speaker level settings on the Rotel, and set the levels for the L/R's (which will obviously go through the Bryston in HT Bypass), you should not have to muck around with them again.

I have had a chance to hear this particular amp on an older pair of Focal JM Lab's Electra series, and it was definitely WOW! So as far as sound quality goes, you will have a top notch 2 channel system.

Regarding the DAC, yes, if you connect the Pioneer via RCA cables, then the Pioneer will be doing the D/a conversion. If this is something you don't want,the best option you have is just get a cheap cheap cd player with a digital out. This would certainly resolve the issue, but you would have to invest in another player... I shouldn't think it should be too expensive. Just get the cheapest one with a digital out. You basically want it to act as another transport.

Good luck and don't even think about changing either the Focals or your intention to buy the Bryston! That's an amazing combo you'll have.

Later,

Fauzi

EDIT: PS: Just to get the HT bypass thing clear in your hear and confirm the (possibly) faulty advice you get about the volume control, give Bryston a call. Or your local dealer. Or send Bryston an email. They're quite good about getting back from what I hear.

Comment

• KrisKeen
                      • Sep 2006

You're a champ! Sorry about my post! so much going on..

Excellent, no way would I change the focal/bryston combo

Well, I won't go and buy another CD player as I can utilise the Pioneer 989 as a transport. Do you think its worth while looking at the Bryston Pre's with the DAC option to connect into my Pioneer 989 or would the Pioneer 989 Analogue connection be sufficent. I'd imagine the Byrston DAC to be FAR FAR superior to that of my Pioneer?

here is the back of the 989

If I use the 989 as a Transport, perhaps I can use the Coaxial Digital to my RSP1066, and the Optical Digital to a Bryston Pre with DAC. Certainly would save on cables!

You've been really helpful thanks!

Comment

• fauzigarib
                        • Aug 2006

You're a champ! Sorry about my post! so much going on..

Excellent, no way would I change the focal/bryston combo

Well, I won't go and buy another CD player as I can utilise the Pioneer 989 as a transport. Do you think its worth while looking at the Bryston Pre's with the DAC option to connect into my Pioneer 989 or would the Pioneer 989 Analogue connection be sufficent. I'd imagine the Byrston DAC to be FAR FAR superior to that of my Pioneer?

here is the back of the 989

If I use the 989 as a Transport, perhaps I can use the Coaxial Digital to my RSP1066, and the Optical Digital to a Bryston Pre with DAC. Certainly would save on cables!

You've been really helpful thanks!
                        Hey Kris,

You're most welcome! It's the least I can do.. You're always welcome to mail me a Bryston power amp as a thank you present!

I saw the link to the back of the Pioneer. Impressive. And yes, you can do the Optical to the Bryston and the Coax into the Rotel. That was definitely resolve your issue.

Regarding your question about which is a better DAC, I think the Bryston would hold the crown in that. However, having said that, I don't see any reason to make that expense this very minute. If the Bryston you're buying comes standard with the DAC, then give it a shot with the Optical cable (Does the Bryston receive Optical input?). If not, then you should be well off with the Pioneer's DAC. Inferior though it may be when compared to the Bryston, I can't imagine it sounding bad... at least not in your setup.

Where should I mail you my shipping address for that gift?!?!?

-Fauzi

Comment

• KrisKeen
                          • Sep 2006

You have a PM

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

:welcome: :wtf:
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• KrisKeen
                              • Sep 2006

Err?

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Sorry for the disconnect there folks. We had a spammer and I removed his post.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• alpina
                                  • Nov 2005

[QUOTE=KrisKeen] What 2CH preamp should I be looking at for around $1000 AUD used? It must have bypass to intergrate into my HT system as I dont really want to muck around with two volumes.

Kriskeen,

Check out the Nuforce P-8. Very simple preamp with HT bypass for around AUS$1500.00 If you want excellent sound at a good price with limited inputs (think it has 3 from memory), this is a unit you should seriously look at.

Remember though that it does not have a DAC like the BP16.

Cheers,

Julie
                                  My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• KrisKeen
                                    • Sep 2006

Have had a look into that.. Happy to get a preamp for now with the option of DAC abilities later.

Alpina, given we have the same Pioneer player, do you know mcuh about its 2CH abilties using it as a CD player, and not transport?

The outputs certainly look fairly 'audio-phile' grade and I like the Pure Audio mode.

Comment

• alpina
                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by fauzigarib
                                      KrisKeen,
                                      Regarding the DAC, yes, if you connect the Pioneer via RCA cables, then the Pioneer will be doing the D/a conversion. If this is something you don't want,the best option you have is just get a cheap cheap cd player with a digital out. This would certainly resolve the issue, but you would have to invest in another player... I shouldn't think it should be too expensive. Just get the cheapest one with a digital out. You basically want it to act as another transport.
                                      Why not just use the multiple outputs (eg, rca, toslink, hdmi, etc) of the 989 rather than buying another cd player and just switching between them? geez, i has enough of them

Comment

• KrisKeen
                                        • Sep 2006

I definately DONT want to buy another CD player. I brought this player for its 2CH abilities as I read good things, along with its stunning HDMI Video.

I'm thinking get rid of the RSP1066 and getting a multichannel pre amp. 5.1 inputs into the preamp and then connecting my amp up.

Cant see the advantages of the RSP1066 given I dont use its video switching.

Comment

• alpina
                                          • Nov 2005

Hi Kriskeen,

Don't underestimate the DAC in the 989. This is an awesome player with a very good DAC. The big difference being the DAC in the 989 is tuned for HT listening whereas the BP16 DAC is tuned for 2ch listening.

Its important that you dont forget that the 989 is not an entry level dvd player but a heavily awarded top end dvd player.

Cheers,

Julie

Comment

• alpina
                                            • Nov 2005

Alpina, given we have the same Pioneer player, do you know mcuh about its 2CH abilties using it as a CD player, and not transport?
                                            Kristeen,

you will not be disappointed. this is a very very very good player for what it is - ie, a top end dvd focused player with good cd performance.

i have a cambridge audio cd player in our system and quite often rely on the pioneer for cd listening. its highs are not quite as crisp as the CA but overall it sounds very sweet.

julie

Comment

• KrisKeen
                                              • Sep 2006

Well thats good news! I dont want to have to buy equipment (external DACs) if I dont have to. So the fact the Pioneer is 2CH capable is great news! Now for the listening test.

I think I'm best with a multichannel pre for SACD/DVDA/CD and ditch the RSP1066. I dont use 10% of the RSP's capabilties. And the Pioneer has bass management so I'm really thinking - whats the RSP doing in my system? The Pioneer decodes DTS/DD - that's enough for me with a 5.1 system!

Video switching means nothing to me. I only have 1 video source, HDMI DVD which plugs straight into the Plasma and my HD TV does the same. It does video switching!

Comment

• alpina
                                                • Nov 2005

Video switching means nothing to me. I only have 1 video source, HDMI DVD which plugs straight into the Plasma and my HD TV does the same. It does video switching!
                                                yes, and from memory the 436/506 have 2 hdmi inputs and 2 component inputs

julie

Comment

• KrisKeen
                                                  • Sep 2006

Only 1 set of HDMI inputs but 3 components, one on each input.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"