X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Gotta a spare $400,000?

Ray Kimber setup a 4 channel playback system at the 2006 RMAF to demo his IsoMike recordings. Total cost for the rig is slightly under $400K. 4 banks of drivers, each containing 3 SoundLab ProStat 992 speakers driven with Pass labs 350 amps....

The room is 60'X60', the speakers are approx 8.5' tall

To say it sounded very good is of course an understatement....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I don't think the wife would let me have those...
    Danish

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

I would trade my wife for those.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
        I would trade my wife for those.
        :rofl: :rofl:
        Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

To put the size of these in perspective. Here's Ray and one array

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

(in best Keanu Reeves voice) Whoa!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

I'm going to save a copy of the photo of Ray and array to show to those who say they think that floor-standing Maggies look like room dividers.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

FYI, Ray's not very tall maybe 5' 6" or 7". So seeing him with them makes the ESLs appear even taller.

The Prostats 992 are considerably taller than the standard Soundlab A-1's

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Azeke
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2003

Boy, I certainly would like to hear those. I betcha they smell like money :lol: .

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

I know I'm coming at this all from the wrong place, but I'm left wondering what Ray's business reasons are for visiting and exhibiting- is he hoping to sell a lot of Isomike's, or it it a more general promotion of Kimber Cable, partnered with Sound Lab?

That's an expensive proposition, the gear and that size room.

Wish I could be there to hear it, too bad my Power Systems World conference is when it is.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                      I know I'm coming at this all from the wrong place, but I'm left wondering what Ray's business reasons are for visiting and exhibiting- is he hoping to sell a lot of Isomike's, or it it a more general promotion of Kimber Cable, partnered with Sound Lab?

That's an expensive proposition, the gear and that size room.

Wish I could be there to hear it, too bad my Power Systems World conference is when it is.
                      He gets to write it off as a business expense and then take it home after a while :B
                      Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Nice... but I'd need $400k for the system, and then another $500k for a proper house to put it in.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I'd need $400K for the system and $400K for the divorce. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gross30
                            • Jun 2005

I don't even think I could imagine what that would sound like. Those photo's are awe-inspiring. What a set-up. The room looks huge. I'm sure Mr. Kimber has the room size and seating positions all calculated out for the best listening experience for the audience. I wonder if there are any open seats for me and a few of my buddies !!!

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

This was a temporary setup created for the 3 days of the 2006 RMAF.

As one can imagine the SQ was amazing..... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cobbpa
                                • Apr 2005

I see something like that and really don't know how good it can sound. Obviously better than anything I've ever heard, but since I have very little exposure to high-end equipment, I can only imagine earphoria. The best sounding speakers I have heard were Jim Griffin's line arrays at the PE meet, and those are only a fraction of this cost. Must have been quite impressive. What kind of music do you play through speakers like that? Or just a recording of gold coins clanking & piling up?

Comment

• gianni
                                  • Nov 2002

Is that entry level?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cobbpa
                                    I see something like that and really don't know how good it can sound.
                                    The SQ was just short of attending a live performance.
                                    Originally posted by gianni
                                    Is that entry level?
                                    Yes actually it is. Ray did another install in an auditorium in Utah. There the front arrays were doubled stacked in height...... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Brandon B
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                                      Nice... but I'd need $400k for the system, and then another $500k for a proper house to put it in.
                                      Where I live, a $500K house is the size of one of those arrays. You'd need a $1.5M house for it to be likely to have a room even capable of accomodating those.

BB
                                      Last edited by Chris D; 13 November 2016, 16:49 Sunday.

Comment

• twitch54
                                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                        This was a temporary setup created for the 3 days of the 2006 RMAF.

As one can imagine the SQ was amazing..... :T

While at the show what else impressed you?? How about the MBL's ??
                                        Dave

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by twitch54
                                          While at the show what else impressed you?? How about the MBL's ??
                                          Well I'm a bit jaded......

[rant mode on]
                                          There was a significant problem in the vast majority of the rooms 90%. That being they had enough money to haul in 10's or 100's of thousands of $$$$ of equipment, but couldn't afford a few hundred for some acoustical treatments. As a result the SQ in most rooms was terrible.....
                                          [/rant mode off]

MBL's are an amazing study in machining/engineering, but not being a fan of omni's they don't trip my trigger. Their rep was puffing out his chest bragging about the 5000 watt monoblocks. I wanted to ask him how they did 5000 watts since there wasn't a 220V line in the room ...:wink:

I was impressed with Jim Salk's speakers paired with Frank VanAlstine's electronics. This relatively modest room IMO had some of the best sound around. But it would have sounded MUCH better with some bass traps...

The Ayre room would have been more impressive had Charlie's electronics been paired with something other than Vanderstein speakers. This was a retailer's room so they chose the speakers...

The Evolution Acoustics were extremely good but they had one chair literally taped to the floor for the sweet spot.

The room acoustics for the $250,000 Marten Coultrane loudspeaker was so bad it was embarressing how boomy the bass was....For those that don't know under the wood veneer, are boxes made from carbon fiber.

Lots of people talk about liking the IDS. Even being driven by a TON on McIntosh's best gear, the top end was so strident I left the room after ~30 sec of listening..

Treble problems weren't the only thing effecting the performance of the Cogent True-To-Life horns...

The Gamut's sounded very good for a $5000 speaker. Only problem was that they cost $15,000

The bigger Audio Kinesis sounded better than this their little one. Again the rooms were plagued by BOOMY bass

This Green Mountain seemed pretty good. Like the other rooms the bass was so BOOMY it was impossible to know how good they could have been.

These weren't all that bad. They're inherent lack of bass probably helped, since again no acoustical treatments.

I don't remember this company. They were actually demo'ing a very expensive HD based music server system. I thought it odd to see a $80 Hi-Vi tweeter in a system being driven by mega thousand $$$ mono-block amps.

Last edited by ThomasW; 24 October 2006, 10:47 Tuesday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cobbpa
                                            • Apr 2005

I was impressed with Jim Salk's speakers paired with Frank VanAlstine's electronics.

In the MTM, is that the Jordan driver used to cover the high frequencies? If so, interesting / impressive.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

Well, the yellow horn's room DID have a bag of sand or something in the corner...
                                              Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cobbpa
                                                In the MTM, is that the Jordan driver used to cover the high frequencies?
                                                Those are Excel magnesium midwoofers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cobbpa
                                                  • Apr 2005

Those are Excel magnesium midwoofers
                                                  Maybe I didn't ask very well, or maybe I'm just flat wrong. The speaker alll the way to the left of the picture, what's the driver in the middle? Is it also a Seas? I can identify the mags, the ribbon drivers, and maybe Seas Nextel cones in there? But the on I'm trying to identify looks different & shiny.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

You asked about the MTM. The only MTM in the picture has Excel mag woofers. The tweeter is a LCY ribbon that has a polished horn/waveguide

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cobbpa
                                                      • Apr 2005

Ahhaa...thanks Thomas. I wondered if it was a bright waveguide. Interesting. I'm assuming "symmetrical dispersion" probably makes it pretty consistent / ideal for waveguides?

Comment

• jsalk
                                                        • Oct 2006

ThomasW -

Thanks very much for the kind words concerning the sound of our speakers and Frank's electronics. Much appreciated.

When you work as hard as we do building them, it's nice to know people appreciate the quality.

We very much enjoyed meeting many fine people at this year's RMAF. The response to our room was more than we could have hoped for.

You can be certain that, next year, bass traps will be the order of the day. Looking at the picture you posted, perhaps I will bring a few less speakers as well. The smaller monitors were never even hooked up.

Again, thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the sound.

- Jim

Comment

• chinets
                                                          • Jun 2005

WOW !! Thanks man, I have never seen some of the oddest looking speakers In one place! You must have had a blast.
                                                          Cheers and thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"