X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FAB
    • Jul 2007

SACD/DVD-A question

First of all, I would like to thank everyone here on this forum. Even though this is my first post, I have managed to get great answers and advises by just reading and searching through old posts here.

I'm in the process of upgrading my DVD/CD player for a new one. I see that multi formats players have become quite popular. I'm really interested in going SACD/DVD-A way. My question is, do I still need to buy a set of 6 anolag RCA cables (this was the case when I checked this a few years ago) or I can connect such player with only a toslink/hdmi cable and still play those formats??

Tks in advance for any comment.
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Yes, you will still need to connect the 6 analog outputs in order to hear multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio. Digital coax and toslink connections will not carry the hi-rez tracks. Certain flavors of HDMI (e.g., 1.2 or 1.3) can carry it, but I'm not aware of any player that can send it (except maybe the new Oppo DV-981HD?). Then, of course, the receiver/processor would also have to be capable of receiving it.

A third option is i.Link, but while several players can send via i.Link, the number of receivers/processors that can receive it are also dwindling.
    Brad

Comment

• FAB
      • Jul 2007

tks Brad. You explained all loud and clear!!

Comment

• Dave999
        • Mar 2007

FAB, I agree with Brad that the safe thing to do is to get RCA cables, even though there are player/processor combinations that will pass the multi-channel signal with fewer cables (like HDMI 1.2 and 1.3), I-link and some other proprietary cables like those with Meridian. However, I think that in the next six months or so there will be many more players and receivers/processors able to pass the signal via HDMI 1.3.

Comment

• FAB
          • Jul 2007

Tks again. I'm convinced now that RCA is the way to go, specially because I currently use a Rotel amp and planing to get a Rotel pre-amp anytime soon. Rotel is not famous for being the first company to offer those fancy connections....

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Blindamood
            Yes, you will still need to connect the 6 analog outputs in order to hear multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio. Digital coax and toslink connections will not carry the hi-rez tracks. Certain flavors of HDMI (e.g., 1.2 or 1.3) can carry it, but I'm not aware of any player that can send it (except maybe the new Oppo DV-981HD?). Then, of course, the receiver/processor would also have to be capable of receiving it.

A third option is i.Link, but while several players can send via i.Link, the number of receivers/processors that can receive it are also dwindling.
            The Oppo 970HD and 981HD can pass DVD-Audio and SACD as multichannel PCM over HDMI. The 970HD comes highly regarding considering its price. HDMI 1.1 is all you need. HDMI 1.2 adds DSD support for SACD, but I don't believe anyone is actually using it.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"