Help me buy a magical pre-amp that doesn't exist!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nayr
    • Jun 2005

Help me buy a magical pre-amp that doesn't exist!

I'm looking for a pre-amp, to go along with my new Behringer A500, with quite specific requirements. So far, it seems that this magical :B pre-amp does not exist, mostly due to the first requirement

-Costs in line with the Behringer. I will be selling a Rotel RA-02 Integrated amp so I'll have a budget of about $300-500, give or take, to work with. I'm willing to throw in some other money too if needed.

-Good sound, obviously. Neutral, no hiss.

-Solid state. I tend to leave my amps on 24/7 so tubes are frowned upon for this reason.

-Remote control. My laziness demands it.

-Balanced outputs/(at least one) input. I would prefer to run completely balanced, since I'm going into a pro crossover to and then to the A500.

-Reasonable cosmetics. I hate the 80ies look. This discredits Linn gear I've seen that fits pretty much everything else.

-MC phono stage! Ooh, I bet you guys all hate me now. There goes 99% of the candidates. 8)

-A 12v trigger would be nice too, but it's not a make-or-break feature.

I will most likely have to buy used, which doesn't phase me at all, but I really don't know what to look out for. Some suggestions would be so greatly appreciated! ;x(

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by nayr; 12 June 2007, 14:57 Tuesday.
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

Good Luck !! I think you'll need it given all your after, I personally put too much faith and demand into my pre to go "cheap", asking for a MC phono-pre, as you said, does make me want to laugh a bit !!
    Dave

Comment

• nayr
      • Jun 2005

Thanks for the good luck! So far, through research and recommendations I've come up with the following:

In order of price:

Classe Thirty
      Linn LK-1
      NAD 116
      Classe Five

Anybody know of others? Any thoughts between these four?

The NAD fits every requirement but might not sound as nice as the others. It's also a lot harder to find!

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

www.emotiva.com has a pre-amp for $499 (the LMC-1). The nice thing is that price is for a new unit. Given what you are after in your price range I think you have to sacrafice at least one of your requirements.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"