X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

USB to AES/EBU converter

Can anyone point me in the direction of a device that will connect the USB 2.0 output of my laptop to the AES/EBU input of my external DAC?

I'm hoping to find an inexpensive converter that will bypass the Windows Kmixer and therefore output a bit-perfect signal.

I know that this is an obscure question because my Googling has come up with nothing on this occasion. There are plenty of USB to SPDIF converters out there but no USB to AES/EBU converters.

Can anyone help?

Nigel.
  • Crimson
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I've used the S/PDIF version of the HagUSB for quite a while. He also has an AES version. Very simple and transparent.
    Q.

Comment

• ToddAnisman
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
      Can anyone point me in the direction of a device that will connect the USB 2.0 output of my laptop to the AES/EBU input of my external DAC?

I'm hoping to find an inexpensive converter that will bypass the Windows Kmixer and therefore output a bit-perfect signal.

I know that this is an obscure question because my Googling has come up with nothing on this occasion. There are plenty of USB to SPDIF converters out there but no USB to AES/EBU converters.

Can anyone help?

Nigel.
      There's a couple of ways... the reason this was stopped was b/c of copyright issues.

No matter what, afaik, you'll have to do this in two steps. USB->SPDIF, then SPDIF->AES. SPDIF to AES is Easy- it's a 75Ohm Transformer to a 110Ohm transformer.

Looks like this:

Look at the Hosa. One can also generally use an inline transformer as well, such as a Shure.

-Todd A.

Comment

• ToddAnisman
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Crimson
        I've used the S/PDIF version of the HagUSB for quite a while. He also has an AES version. Very simple and transparent.
        boy for $119 that's a deal. I'd have to see it work in AES mode. That's not always easy. but if it does, great!!

-Todd A.

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Great leads guys. Many thanks.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"