X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

External DACs and laptops – the good and the bad

Three years ago I plugged my laptop into my hi-fi using a cheap and cheerful external DAC from Creative. The results were disappointing. The sound was brittle, sometimes it took a lot of messing around to get the thing to work, and I was plagued by a hum that was eliminated only by putting a cheater plug on the laptop. I abandoned the experiment.

Since then I have lived in a state of chaos as my heap of CDs has increased. It’s a heap because I simply don’t have the shelf space in my living room for a large collection of CDs. My wife’s patience has run out.

Two years ago I acquired an external DAC – an LFD DAC3. It is the piece of hi-fi equipment that I treasure the most. Ever since it was installed the sound of my CDs and DVDs has improved. It must be good because from time to time I receive unsolicited offers to buy it from people out there on the Internet. They see it in my profile on this forum. Apparently only a small number of DAC3s were ever made.

Anyway, back to the story… Two months ago I decided to use my laptop as a music source again. The only input available on my LFD was the AES/EBU (XLR) one. This required me to buy a USB to XLR converter. Using advice I received on this forum I bought a converter from Hagerman Technology (http://www.hagtech.com/hagusb.html) which cost me US$149. Using advice from Jim Hagerman I bought a Windows USB ASIO driver from Ploytec (http://www.usb-audio.com/).

I have been trialling the new system for a month now. The results have exceeded my expectations in every way. The sound quality is excellent. There is zero hum. Even the mp3 tracks on my laptop sound good. Furthermore I just plug it in and it works. I am currently using iTunes but based on advice from Jim Hagerman I plan to experiment with Foobar and Winamp.

The next step is to purchase a standalone Windows device and start ripping a large pile of CDs. My wife thinks that a better solution would be to buy a new house with more shelf space. I’m just a bit concerned that the new house won’t have the two separate living rooms that enable me to enjoy my hobby to the fullest.

Nigel.
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Welcome to the future! I ripped all my CD's serveral years ago, and have never looked back. They're all in boxes up in the attic now. Just make sure you use a lossless format so you do it just once. Also, iTunes isn't a bad way to go, and you can use an iPod/pad/phone as a remote control for it.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

I did the same - ripped all of my CDs (and CD layer of SACD Hybrid discs) to FLAC, and store on my NAS. I use Media Monkey to rip and manage the FLAC files, and MM also does FLAC-to-MP3 conversion on-the-fly when copying to my iPod. I actually keep all of my CDs, but I put them in nice binders with CD sleeves. Still takes up some space, but not nearly as much as a stack of jewel cases.
      Brad

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Good deal, Nigel. I too did the project of ripping all my audio to files. For now, when I do critical listening, it's still with the original source CD of whatever. But with Apple Lossless, I might go that route in the future. I use my iPod and iPhone for audio listening at the gym, podcasts in the car, etc. Both at home and in my office, though, I have special iPod docs network-controlled by URC remotes, where I listen to my ripped files.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• y2kavengeres
          • May 2008

can you recommend any other external dac? I currently have all my music ripped in lossless audio. It sounds good, but I'd like to try a dac to see if it can get better.
          Pioneer Elite SC-05
          B&W 804
          B&W 805
          B&W HTM4
          Rega Planet CD player

Comment

• theblue
            • Dec 2009

check out the MF V-DAC, excellent for the money, better if you can find a used one.

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

another popular one is the cambridge dac-magic

Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
            rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
            B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
            a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• Shinnosuki
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by theblue
              check out the MF V-DAC, excellent for the money, better if you can find a used one.

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

another popular one is the cambridge dac-magic

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320
              Funny I just purchased this Musical Fidelity V-DAC and yes it is a very nice unit. I used it about 2 days until I dismantle my system and now starting to sell it off for a new upgrade. Just today my new power supply came that I intended to use with the V-DAC but i'm not gonna bother with it now until my new upgrade. This is my actual review I did for the V-DAC on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2PTVXA...cm_cr_rdp_perm

I'm actually surprised that the OP, bigburner had to purchase a ASIO driver when you can download it for free, but either way, its definite worth the money for the much improved sound..but free is better =D

Comment

• looneybomber
                • May 2007

While my question doesn’t involve laptops, it does involve my desktop and the possible purchase of a DAC, and didn’t want to make a new thread just for that.

Is it worth getting a DAC for two channel audio when I am currently using my SPDIF/Toslink? I guess my question is if it’s worth upgrading over my Pioneer’s built in DAC.

Relevent info:
                Pioneer VSX-1014
                Jed’s Dynamic 4T’s with Clarity caps and Mills resistors. (not built yet)
                EP2500 for power.

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by looneybomber
                  While my question doesn’t involve laptops, it does involve my desktop and the possible purchase of a DAC, and didn’t want to make a new thread just for that.

Is it worth getting a DAC for two channel audio when I am currently using my SPDIF/Toslink? I guess my question is if it’s worth upgrading over my Pioneer’s built in DAC.
                  If you can connect your desktop to the DAC in your Pioneer then that's good. If you can't then you'll need to buy another DAC if you want to use your desktop as a music source.

Nigel.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by looneybomber
                    Looney, you can most assuredly get better performing DACs than the one in your Pioneer. No slam against Pioneer here - I was getting along nicely a few years back with the DACs in my Yamaha RX-V1 but decided to add an outboard DAC from Musical Fidelity, their A3.24CR and my-my was I plesantly surprised! Much better performance across the board. As to the worth, yes it was worth it for me to spend the dollars, but I can't answer that for you.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• looneybomber
                      • May 2007

Maybe one of these days I'll run into someone with a nice DAC that I could try out and see if the difference is worth the price.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                        Good deal, Nigel. I too did the project of ripping all my audio to files. For now, when I do critical listening, it's still with the original source CD of whatever. But with Apple Lossless, I might go that route in the future. I use my iPod and iPhone for audio listening at the gym, podcasts in the car, etc. Both at home and in my office, though, I have special iPod docs network-controlled by URC remotes, where I listen to my ripped files.
                        Re critical listening with CD. That is an indication that you are yet to get the best out of your music files. Well implemented computer audio can easily see off a very good CD player. My Naim CD5x and flatcap for example is now living at a new home. It simply could not compete with the Naim DAC once I had worked out the best way to feed it the music. On top of that you can also download 24bit 96khz or 192khz files. You can also find willing hifi buddies to rip your favourite vinyl to 192khz (assuming if like me you don't have a decent turntable). If you want the best sound it is not plug and play yet, but with a bit of thought and good advice you will be amazed at how good a laptop or Macbook pro can sound.

Its not a compromise, in my experience it is way way better sound.
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Laz Baz
                          • Jul 2011

External DACs and Laptops

Originally posted by Blindamood
                          - ripped all of my CDs (and CD layer of SACD Hybrid discs) to FLAC, and store on my NAS.
                          How do you rip (software) SACD and DVD-A discs?
                          William
                          William
                          Good music on 2-channel

Comment

• stuofsci02
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009

He ripped the CD layer of the SACD hybrid, so it is no different then ripping a plain jane CD.

Cheers!
                            Main System:
                            B&W 801D
                            Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                            Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                            Oppo BDP-105
                            Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                            B&W CM7
                            Emotiva UMC-1
                            Emotiva UPA-2
                            Oppo BDP-83SE
                            Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Laz Baz
                              How do you rip (software) SACD and DVD-A discs?
                              William
                              It is possible though to rip multi-channel audio.
                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"