X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

Cable length between transport and DAC

I have a transport located away from my rack, I’m wondering if it’s better to have the DAC close to the transport and run 5 metre analogue RCA’s to the pre amp, or run 1x 5 metre digital from the transport to the DAC and using short analogue interconnects?
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

From an enthusiast's standpoint (not an expert that is) I'd recommend a longer run from the transport to the DAC. That way you keep the analog signal on a shorter run.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

a 5 meter Silvercat digital and a .5 or 1 meter pair of Kingcats analog. Perhaps that is to specific for you... I never said it would be "cheap". But I think we could do that most economically of the two scenerios. (I think)
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Spearmint
        • Sep 2004

Thanks for the replies. :T

It is also the way I have it installed, this was based on the assumption that the DAC would help correct any sins, where as the pre amp won’t.

Thanks Lex, I’ll check out your store as to what these cables are.
        Richard

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Hi Richard,

Could you remind me what DAC you are using these days? Has it made a big difference?

Nigel.

Comment

• Spearmint
            • Sep 2004

Hi Nigel,

I am using an Elektra DAC, and yesterday I added a Lavry DA10 to the mix for my CEC transport.

The DA10 is still new but first impressions are that it’s a warmer sounding DAC compared to the Benchmark DAC1 that I used to own and the Elektra DAC that I’m still currently using.

I also have a Marantz SA11 SACD player which I’m using its internal DACs due to the SACD side of it.

The Lavry I’ll hold any judgment until it’s got some hours under the belt, but so far it appears to lack a bit in the dynamics compared to the other DAC’s.
            Richard

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
              Hi Nigel,

I am using an Elektra DAC, and yesterday I added a Lavry DA10 to the mix for my CEC transport.

The DA10 is still new but first impressions are that it’s a warmer sounding DAC compared to the Benchmark DAC1 that I used to own and the Elektra DAC that I’m still currently using.

I also have a Marantz SA11 SACD player which I’m using its internal DACs due to the SACD side of it.

The Lavry I’ll hold any judgment until it’s got some hours under the belt, but so far it appears to lack a bit in the dynamics compared to the other DAC’s.
              Very interesting. I'm really enjoying my LFD DAC3. Warmer is a good description for this DAC too.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"