X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

Help with outside stereo adding to my 5.1

I am working with a 5.1 speaker config in my basement. Have a receiver for the 5.1 processing etc., a separate amp for my front speakers. Plus various inputs, cd/dvd, 8-track and phono. I am not super high dollar. I have some good front speakers/sub and from there its pretty much joe-audio stuff.

I am already using the 'zone B' from the back surrounds for upstairs in the house for a decent set of Cerwin-Vegas. So that channel is occupied with that.

The basement is well-wired for speakers, I even have an outlet with binding posts near my back door. And that is where my question begins. The binding posts have 4 posts for my surrounds (which are in that area and being used), and another four posts which I want to use for the outside patio.

How can I add a separate stereo connection for the outside (this will be as-needed in good weather, only moving some extra speakers outside at times), I have some extra speakers which I will move outsite when we are out there. Lets say I want to keep a 5.1 recording on the inside and and have it go stereo to the outside (like a party situation). I have a nice old pioneer amp (no tuner, just amp, its a good old one).

What can I do to hear the same input such as a concert DVD outside in stereo and still keep the 5.1 cranking inside?

I am a little foggy on the connections, something tells me there might have to be a speaker switch of some sort or something. I don't know. Get me on the right track. Thanks.

just forgot to mention that the pioneer is an extra amp. Not the one I am using for my fronts. I figured there might be the need for an extra amp in this situation. well - its this old one that I have that will be used.

more info: those extra binding posts are wired to a central location (not being used) so those speaker connections are available. ready to connect
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

If your pre/pro is sending out a 5.1 signal and you split the front L&R to the Pioneer I think you'll lose a lot of music. It seems to me you need a signal from your source to the Pioneer (in stereo) which would necessitate another preamp. Maybe some of the more experienced guys here can chime in with a better solution.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• whoaru99
      • Jul 2004

It would seem that you need to connect a speaker switcher to the Zone B outputs so that you can direct that sound to where ever you want it to go. If you are going to want to have multiple pairs of speakers playing simultaneously from the Zone B output, be sure you get an impedance-matching speaker switch or you run a very real possibility (nearly certain) of getting into a low impedance situation that could damage the receiver.

Generally, most receivers won't send digital source inputs like your DVD to the Zone B outputs. So, you probably will need to connect the DVD player 2-ch analog outputs to an analog input on the receiver that can be routed to Zone B. This would allow 5.1 via the digital connection in the basement and downmixed audio in Zone B via the stereo analog connection.

If the receiver has line-level outputs for Zone B, you could use that Pioneer amp instead of the surround back terminals and the receivers internal amps. If no Zone B line level outputs connecting the Pioneer is not quite as easy.

Listing the specific brand and model of receiver would be helpful in order to provide a higher probability of accurate advice.
      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"