X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

XLR stereo input

As I understand it optimal to use the XLR inputs on the SSP 600 if possible because it has a dedicated power supply and can process the incoming signal if desired.

Has anyone tried using RCA to XLR cables before? Would it for this input?

I plan on using the 2 the 2 Channel stereo outputs of the Oppo BDP 83 as I have a few 2 channel SACDs and the discrete 2 channel outputs are getting very good reviews.

What are your thoughts?
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

In my experience there is no benefit to have a cable go from an RCA connector to an XLR connector. Since the signal is a single ended one all of the noise rejection you would normally get with a balanced signal don't exist. Just stick with RCA from one end to the other.

Eric

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      In my experience there is no benefit to have a cable go from an RCA connector to an XLR connector. Since the signal is a single ended one all of the noise rejection you would normally get with a balanced signal don't exist. Just stick with RCA from one end to the other.

Eric
      ok thanks..

I was less thinking I woudlgain the benefit of the balanced cable (because I know it isnt using an RCA to XLR), but more thinking I would benefit from the fact the XLR input has its own power supply, and unless I am mistaken allows processing modes the regular RCA inputs don't.

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

The balanced analog PC board in the SSP600 has its own power supply not to provide any special processing, but simply out of necessity. By having its own independent power supply, the board is not affected by the current draw of other sections. Classé products, like some other brands, have always had separate power supplies feeding every stage, either via separate taps off the main transformer or separate, small power transformers.

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
          The balanced analog PC board in the SSP600 has its own power supply not to provide any special processing, but simply out of necessity. By having its own independent power supply, the board is not affected by the current draw of other sections. Classé products, like some other brands, have always had separate power supplies feeding every stage, either via separate taps off the main transformer or separate, small power transformers.

so with that in mind wouldnt it be better to use a RCA to XLR cable to at least take advantage of the dedicated power supply?

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

As Eric said above, there is no benefit to using an RCA to XLR adapter. The connection will still be single ended. You will only be inserting an unnecessary junction in the signal path. All of the processor stages have dedicated power supplies, which is what I alluded to above. When you're running single-ended connections, you're already benefiting from dedicated power supplies feeding the single-ended analog stages.

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

gotcha....thanks

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"