Instructive thread on placement of hifi gear...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • collectslps
    • Jan 2007

Instructive thread on placement of hifi gear...

I think it would be great for senior members to weigh in regarding placement of rack and speakers in listening room... where to place rack, speakers, acoustic treatment, et al. Thanks!
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hello there sonny!

According to my profile I am a senior. Does this mean I get a discount on my rates and a bus pass. :W

I think it is very informative to check out some of the photos of systems in the B&W, Rotel and elsewhere. Its surprising how many systems are squeezed in to the domestic environment. Maybe you should have asked for single, obcessive types to comment on system setup- no WAF to deal with. They will have the system in the room first, and only then will they consider the furniture - primarily at reflection points and to absorb bass.

I have only considered the basics when positioning my system (it was not too hard as I have very little furniture) speakers away from rear walls, modest toe in, minimise objects between speakers (always difficult if HT and 2 channel are in the same system), side walls are miles away so no first order reflections there - need to do something about my rear wall behind the couch.

In the not too distant future I hope to visit a fellow audiophile who has apparantly done wonders to his listening room. Great way to pick up tips is to listen to others systems. Just remember to value what they have done right and avoid unnessary criticisms, unless it is just a suggestion that they move speakers away from walls etc. Nothing worse than a visitor commenting that you pride and joy CD player sounds like cats howling.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Briz
      According to my profile I am a senior. Does this mean I get a discount on my rates and a bus pass. :W
      No, but you do get to shoo the younger members out of your way with your cane. :

I've gone from a large house with a dedicated room to a small house with a single combined living/audio/video room. In doing so, I've had to reconsider all of the compromises I lost with a dedicated room. My wife and I had an understanding before we moved here that the electronics weren't going away, however I would do whatever I could to keep it pleasant looking and comfortable feeling.

What I've wound up with so far is a primary viewing/listening wall housing only the 50" plasma and its stand which also holds the center channel, the two main speakers and the subwoofer. The face of my mains sit about 28" away from the wall with about a 10° toe-in about a foot or so out from the TV stand. This has given me a nice soundstage - a flat panel definitely helps out here - with decent spatial localizing. FWIW, keeping the front wall clear of anything not absolutely required minimizes the masking/reflecting issues you have to deal with other than those pesky first reflection points. Okay, there is wall art/hangings/oils, etc. that still live there but that's all part of it being a "living" area and doesn't seem to have any sonic effect. The equipment rack is located in the right rear corner of the room and is visually masked by a recliner, end table and lamp - still easily accessible but not a source of sonic issues or visual problems. One big issue I haven't resolved yet is the location and type of surround speakers I can make work. So to date I'm only using the mains and center channel - and really missing my side and rear channels (for movies at least), I might add.

Here's a pic of the front wall. Note: the corner of the loveseat is well away from the left main speaker. That's just camera angle making it look crowded.

Attached Files

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Come on, David. You know full well that bumping the couch right up to the speaker gives you free tactile-transducer performance without having to buy the piece!

No, seriously, looks like a great place to sit and unwind. Looking good.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks Major. :T It's definitely a different environment from the Houston house, but it's working better than I thought it could. Still, there's a ways to go.

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

My set-up was concieved around the premise of good two channel first and foremost and let the HT "follow thereafter". Whereas most good two channel systems make this happen quite easily, so many who start of with their 5.1 set-ups really falter when it comes to serious two channel listening.

One of my acoustical challenges in my listening room is a safe, which was taken care of by my wife making a "Acoustic Condom" out of thick fabric.
            Attached Files
            Dave

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Oh, I forgot to mention that (like Twitch) I'm a two-channel audio type of guy before anything else.

Comment

• Kobus
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                Note: the corner of the loveseat
                Thanks for the details.

What is a "loveseat".

Kobus

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

It's a narrow version of a couch. Couches tend to seat 3 or 4 persons and a loveseat only seats 2.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by collectslps
                    I think it would be great for senior members to weigh in regarding placement of rack and speakers in listening room... where to place rack, speakers, acoustic treatment, et al. Thanks!
                    If one is starting from scratch then do room mode and RT/60 sims of the room. Those will tell a lot about what's going to happen when you put speakers in the room.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Kobus
                      What is a "loveseat".
                      That's J-Lo's booty. Gotta "love" that "seat".

Twitch, that's a neat solution for the safe. Are you really that paranoid about somebody stealing your CD's, though? :rofl:
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                        Twitch, that's a neat solution for the safe. Are you really that paranoid about somebody stealing your CD's, though? :rofl:

You can take my CD's , just don't mess with my viynl !!!

it worked out quite well, easy on and off so when I need to get into my safe it's not a problem at all !
                        Dave

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by twitch54
                          My set-up was concieved around the premise of good two channel first and foremost and let the HT "follow thereafter".
                          We share philosophies there, twitch.
                          I have often wondered what your system looked like, and now I see it is as fabulous as I had envisioned.
                          V nice my friend, V nice indeed!
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• twitch54
                            • Apr 2006

Thanks for the kind words "WK", as most of the members over on the M/L forum already know, I'm a viynl 'junkie' and a two channel nut as well !!
                            Dave

Comment

• miner
                              • Mar 2005

Hip, Hip, Hooray for us vinyl junkies. My wife thinks I am nuts for getting back into vinyl, until I A/Bd a vinly vs CD version of Steely Dan's 'Aja'.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"