X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cray54
    • Oct 2008

In Wall vs. On Wall vs. In Room Information / Help

I’m looking resources that would help explain the audio benefits, drawbacks and compromises associated with speaker location in regards to in wall, on wall, near wall, and in room. I’m sure there are many other variables associated, but that is something I’m particularly interested in learning.

Can anyone recommend a good resource, website, thread etc?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • cray54
    • Oct 2008

Maybe just a brief explanation?

Comment

• krips
      • Sep 2007

I can't offer much information, but I believe that the closer a speaker is placed to the wall, the more 'boost' it will get in the bass region, as if it has a wider baffle, which could mean that you don't need BSC...?
      Sharp LC-42D64U
      TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

I just installed a pair of B&W in-wall speakers (CWM-650) in our bedroom, after mounting the lcd tv on the wall as well. I listened to them prior to mounting and they sounded great, short of the bass support that the wall will provide. Unfortunately, my integrated amp died, and I have not been able to test post-installation! New amp arriving tomorrow, so I cannot wait to try them out.

For me it was mostly aesthetics that made the decision. Looks cleaner, and opens up space on the dresser surface below the tv/speakers. I installed speaker terminals on the lower part of the wall below the speakers, so that I can plug them into the amp when it arrives (i.e., no permanent connection).

Fortunately, the install of both the tv and the speakers went smoothly last weekend. You have to make sure, however, that nothing will impede the wall space required by the speakers. And, of course, they're much harder to move if you change your mind! So, there are more dependencies for in-wall, I believe.
        Brad

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by cray54
          I’m looking resources that would help explain the audio benefits, drawbacks and compromises associated with speaker location in regards to in wall, on wall, near wall, and in room. I’m sure there are many other variables associated, but that is something I’m particularly interested in learning.

Can anyone recommend a good resource, website, thread etc?

Thanks,
          Chris
          Chris,

I'll hunt around to see if there is anything more formal on this topic (other than the link below). Meanwhile, I'll share some thoughts based on my experience and what I've read/heard along the way. I've had both on wall and in room speakers. Currently my four corner speakers are floorstanders and my center sits on an entertainment center.

* I tend to agree that speakers get reinforced bass as they are closer to a wall, particularly in corners. This can be a relatively good thing, like having book shelf speakers (especially as rear speakers).

* For front bookshelf and floor standing speakers, having them close to a wall might box them in acoustically. I've found that the more air you give the mains, the better. I have B&W 802D's as my mains. They are around two feet off the rear wall and about 1.5 feet off the side wall in an HT room. In the prior room they were in, they were closer to the wall and were more compressed sounding.

* Same issue for a center channel. You want to give it air, especially since so much dialog comes out of the center. Putting in a cabinet maybe the only option. However, if you can give it air, that is good.

* Speaker height. I've found that for critical listening, the tweeter height needs to be as close to the ear position as possible. This applies for all speakers. If you use on-wall or inwall, keep this in mind. If they are above the listening position, the integration between listener and speakers is lessened (IMO).

This is not to say that it wouldn't sound great with good equipment, but I've found that when they are closest to the ear height wise, the better.

* In wall. I have considered in wall at times. The problem I recall with these is that the box to hold the speaker needs to be quite rigid 9to prevent unwanted vibrations from smearing the audio). Back when I looked, the inwall solutions weren't very appealing. However, I believe companies like B&W now have a whole range of in wall speakers and rigid boxes (especially for new construction). I believe that some of the their in-wall speakers have directional drivers that create a larger soundfield. These would be best suited for rear speakers (see below).

* Rear speakers. I've had on wall and free standing speakers for rear speakers. I prefer on floor rear speakers physically behind the listening position. This has been the best overall surround experience I've had.

However, cost, WAF and other issues may force you to look at other options. One area that is discusses is dipole or non-dipole speakers. My take is that if you can't put speakers behind you, then on the sides works next best. If you are in this situation, I prefer direct (monpole) speakers, preferably pointed at the listener. But if one has a large area to fill, dipoles are a good option. They definitely create a substantial soundfield ( I used triangular dipoles for years), but often at a cost of detail and dynamics (IMO).

I've recently built a dedicated HT room where I was able to implement these concepts. The end result has been spectacular.

Here is a reference I found.

I'm sure others will chime in. Hope this helps.

Comment

• kgveteran
            • Oct 2005

I've had stand mounted rear surrounds and wall mounted. I just recently built a modified design from Mark K. that worked out great. They are comprised of a Dayton RS28a and a RS225 (tweeter/woofer).

I cross them over at 100hz, so bass isn't really an issue. I use a Denon receiver and the Audyssey room correction probably took care of what ever boost they may has gotten from close wall proximity.

They sound great and the price was right.Here's a link to the thread with some pics on page two. I have always found inwall to be inferior to on wall unless you spend enough money like the B&W mentioned. The more you spend on inwalls the more you are likely to get builtin EQ dip switches that will help correct boost issues and standing waves.

Good luck.
            Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"