X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

Receiver overloading on Klipsch FR-83s - Answer Fnd

This thread more or less combines 2 other threads that I recently put out there. This is a summary and 'final answer'. Folks could not understand how my Klipshce FR83s were causing My 110w x7 VSX-816 receiver to shut down at somewhat high (but not earsplitting) listening levels (given the high effecieny of the Klipsch speakers).

I could drive lesser speakers (Cerwin Vegas VE-8s, 150w, 90db) to scary volumes without causing the receiver to overload. I tested the front channel with these speakers just to see if the receiver was faulty. As mentioned I could drive the VE-8s beyond comfort level and get a good degree louder than what the FR-83s would do.

The one member who pretty much nailed it on the head was Glen B (from the other thread). I called Klipsch and indeed while the speakers are highly effecient, they present lower impedences at certain volume levels and certain frequencies (at certain levels). This then causes my receiver to run out of power (and get all hot, I guess), thus shutting itself down.

I need a better receiver or separate amp to get what I want out of the speakers. Solved. Thank you all for the input.
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by timetohunt
    The one member who pretty much nailed it on the head was Glen B (from the other thread). I called Klipsch and indeed while the speakers are highly effecient, they present lower impedences at certain volume levels and certain frequencies (at certain levels). This then causes my receiver to run out of power (and get all hot, I guess), thus shutting itself down.
    This is the case for all speakers to a greater or lesser degree. The Cerwins must have fallen into the "to a lesser degree" segment and the Klipsch into the "to a greater degree" segment.

I'd never heard of Klipsch being hard to drive though. It would be interesting to see the impedance vs. frequency plot for the Klipsch speakers.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• twitch54
      • Apr 2006

Agreed, on the other hand it may point to the Pioneer reciever having little or no stability driving anything below the "nominal" impedence level and at higher levels to boot !
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"