X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vatulele
    • Dec 2006

really good vinyl ?

On a slightly different slant to the ' what are you listening to right now ' threads, how about suggestions of really good pressings / recordings on vinyl in the rock / indie / pop genres ? No comments of ' no such thing ' please ! The kind of LP people use to really test out how their set-up is sounding or dig out every time youve got a new upgrade to test ? Surely they cant all be jazz, easy listening or classical.
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

I know you you weren't really interested in Jazz but I gotta put my plug in for...... Chuck Mangione - Childern of Sanchez. I use this LP evrytime I have a skeptic over that dosen't believe analog is Still king !!!
    Dave

Comment

• vatulele
      • Dec 2006

I use this LP evrytime I have a skeptic over that dosen't believe analog is Still king !!!

I would have thought such people had all been fitted with hearing aids by now !

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Mobile Fidelity's Original Master Recording albums are good. I like Led Zeppelin II and Jethro Tull's Aqualung. Also CCR's Cosmo's Factory. According to MoFi , all cut from original half-speed master tapes on 'virgin' vinyl (you can see light through the albums!)
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• twitch54
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by vatulele
          I use this LP evrytime I have a skeptic over that dosen't believe analog is Still king !!!

I would have thought such people had all been fitted with hearing aids by now ![/QUOTE]

It's obvious you are a skeptic !!
          Dave

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I would have thought such people had all been fitted with hearing aids by now ![/QUOTE]

Why , you young (insert curmudgeonly rant here)
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• vatulele
              • Dec 2006

ive been a dedicated vinyl fan for 20 years, even thru the dark ages here in the UK when the black stuff was harder to find than pink diamonds at a Tibetan yak market. Despite the constant public ridicule too !

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

ttvj.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ttvj.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

These are a couple good places to look.
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• twitch54
                  • Apr 2006

In conjuction with sites mentioned above I also use:

Elusive Disc, Inc., Features Only The Best In Audiophile Hardware, Accessories and Music. We Offer a Wide Variety Of Audiophile Turntables, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Record Cleaners, SACD Players, Speakers, Headphones, Pre-Amps, LP Cleaning Fluids, Cables, Vibration Control, Record Brushes & Sleeves, Record Clamps, Audiophile Vinyl LPs, SACDs, DVD-As, Dual Discs, Gold CDs, Gold CDRs, and More.

The world's largest online retailer of high-end audio, audiophile music, and accessories. We specialize in vinyl records and turntables.

Good Luck !!
                  Dave

Comment

• vatulele
                    • Dec 2006

thanks guys. Something that has changed enormously in recent months is the number of newly released albums available on vinyl. I would guess at about 75 pct, unless it seems that was because my searching methods have improved. My favourite at the moment is musicstack.com their worldwide coverage is a great help especially as it is far cheaper for me to buy from the US or Canada and pay shipping that it is to buy here in the UK. Seems rediculous but we get used to it over here, prices are massively inflated on most goods, even the stuff we make here ! I might be wrong, but I wouldnt be surprised if u can buy an ORBE in the USA for about 2/3 of what it would cost u here. Thats my ranting out of the way for the day.

Comment

• vatulele
                      • Dec 2006

Just realised I hadnt put my own favourites on

Like so many others - Dark Side of the Moon

Art of Noise - Below The Waste

Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop

Ricky Lee Jones - Flying Cowboys

Philadelphia Jerry Nicks - Empty Bottle Blues

Clannad 2 - by Linn records

and if u want aggression

Skunk Anansie - Stoosh or Prodigy - Fat of the Land

Top of my list of what not to choose would be U2 albums, ive got a few and they all sound awful !

Comment

• dknightd
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Alaric
                        Mobile Fidelity's Original Master Recording albums are good. I like Led Zeppelin II and Jethro Tull's Aqualung. Also CCR's Cosmo's Factory. According to MoFi , all cut from original half-speed master tapes on 'virgin' vinyl (you can see light through the albums!)
                        Seconded. All the Mobile Fidelity stuff is good. Pick one you or your other listener might like.

Comment

• miner
                          • Mar 2005

On the contrary not ALL MFSL vinyl sounds good.

Look at www.dccblowout.com for good ratings on vinyl releases.

Comment

• dknightd
                            • Mar 2006

Personally I have a hard time buying vinyl anymore. I buy it when there is no alternative. And no alternative seems to be in sight. It took 20 years but I'm pretty much convinced now that good digital is as good as good vinyl. Flame away . . .

Comment

• dknightd
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by miner
                              On the contrary not ALL MFSL vinyl sounds good.
                              Is there one you do not like? For better or worse some do not sound like the original LP. But is that always bad? I guess probably so - but . . .

Comment

• twitch54
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                                Personally I have a hard time buying vinyl anymore. I buy it when there is no alternative. And no alternative seems to be in sight. It took 20 years but I'm pretty much convinced now that good digital is as good as good vinyl. Flame away . . .

No flaming intended !! Most of us analog guys are older with sizeable record collections to begin with, not to mention some folks have more $$ in their analog front end than the average guy has in his entire system, yes we are nuts !! As for me I've been listening to LP's for over forty years and I am also quite happy with my digital collection and playback system as well. They coexist quite nicely !

One thing has really surprised me lately..... the number of very good and afordable turntables (Music Hall, ProJect, Rega) that have allowed newcomers and those wishing to 're-discover' there old Lp's !!

I can say again, without reservation, that many a skeptic has left my house shaking their head, realizing that analog can sound ...that good !
                                Dave

Comment

• Bob
                                  • Jul 2000

Personally I have a hard time buying vinyl anymore. I buy it when there is no alternative. And no alternative seems to be in sight. It took 20 years but I'm pretty much convinced now that good digital is as good as good vinyl. Flame away
                                  Even though I am one of those "analog nuts" that has more money into my analog front end than most audiophiles have in their entire system,http://teresaudio.com/images/t-320-lg.jpg, I wouldn't take exception to the above quote. CD's and players have matured and many, many CDs sound better than the vinyl version.
                                  However, CD's simply aren't much fun. From a purely music standpoint CD's and I-pods have vinyl beat hands down. They are portable and available to listen to in any circumstance. Easy to share with other music lovers, can be configured as playlists or songs skipped, and are very durable.
                                  No audiophile is in this hobby just to listen to music. The equipment and futzing with the equipment is also part of the hobby. In regards to this aspect of the hobby, vinyl has the fun factor edge over CD's by a wide margin.

For some more good pop vinyl pressings that haven't already been listed:
                                  Mary Gauthier "Mercy Now"
                                  Ben Harper "Live From Mars"
                                  Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"
                                  Allman Bros. "Live From The Filmore East"
                                  Tom Petty "Highway Companion"

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Bob, I didn't know you had a Teres. That's an awesome, beautiful turntable! :T

Back OT, I dig out some of my Half-Speed-Masters like:

Journey - Escape
                                    Kansas - Point Of No Return
                                    Poco - Legend
                                    Styx - Grand Illusion

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• vatulele
                                      • Dec 2006

That is one stunning turntable Bob, I bet it sounds as good as it looks too, ure a lucky man if thats the case ! Its interesting to see a wooden platter, I would have thought the uneven nature of wood would have created problems with balance and stabilitly. Is that an issue the manufacturer has had to deal with ?

Comment

• Bob
                                        • Jul 2000

Its interesting to see a wooden platter, I would have thought the uneven nature of wood would have created problems with balance and stabilitly. Is that an issue the manufacturer has had to deal with ?
                                        You are correct, it was a issue that had to be dealt with. The platter is actually made up from several pieces of wood that are fitted together like a Chinese puzzle. It is then impregnated with a resin, like a boat, to stabilize the wood. It is shaped on a CNC machine and the bottom is drilled out and brass plugs are installed for perfect balance. If I take off the belt and give it a slight turn, it spins for a very, very, long time. Here is a picture of one with a acrylic platter which shows the plugs. http://teresaudio.com/images/t-255-lg.jpg

Comment

• vatulele
                                          • Dec 2006

I am a huge wood fan in general, its a wonderful marterial but to see it put to use in precision engineering is amazing. I will look into dealers here in the UK that may be able to demo as I am truly intrigued. How would you descibe the sound/feel ? Logic suggests warm and natural, but now I guess u are going to tell me its precise and clinically detailed ! !

Comment

• Gene Simmons
                                            • Sep 2004

There are two records that will blow your mind, at least they did with mine:

REM - Out of Time

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers 180G

I was very familiar with that REM CD, but when I got it on vinyl a few weeks ago, I havent been able to stop playing it. And for the Raconteurs, I have never heard stereo sound like that. You can get both records for pretty cheap brand new.

Comment

• vatulele
                                              • Dec 2006

ive got a copy of the REM but its old and not a very good pressing, I will try and get hold of it on 180g, would be nice to replace a lot of my older stuff with newer pressings as I have a lot of LPs from the last 10 years that are not very good quality but are now available on 180 or 200g. Expensive way of doing things tho !

Maybe it just needs a good clean, now there is a new subject altogether. Who has record cleaners at home and what are the good ones. Thinking about it logically, why are we so reluctant to part witha few hundred quid/dollars for a cleaning machine, but will happily write out cheques all day for cables and rubber feet. I'm guilty myself, all I have is a carbon fibre brush. Thousands of pounds worth of playback equipment and £5.99 of cleaning brush ! Do record cleaners not work, or do we not all have one cos they just arent cool ?

Comment

• twitch54
                                                • Apr 2006

Maybe it just needs a good clean, now there is a new subject altogether. I'm guilty myself, all I have is a carbon fibre brush.

Gulp !!!!!!!!! only a carbon fibre brush ???????????? Oh my, I'll start a new thread on this subject so all can chime in. Believe you me, you existing collection is not nearlly as bad as you think........once you get it properly cleaned up !!
                                                Dave

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Twitch,
                                                  Oh no, not carbon brushes again!!! :W

Sparky

Comment

• Bob
                                                    • Jul 2000

Vatulele,
                                                    The 200 gram records from Classic Records are often disapointing. It is very difficult to press these records. While they don't have the problem of warping they often have more surface noise than 140 or 180 gram records.
                                                    Twitch is right. Unless you have done physical damage to your records, they may only need a good cleaning. Proper cleaning can often make surface noise totally disapppear.
                                                    You don't need a machine, although the vacum part is convenient. I had a VPI record cleaner and now have one from Acoustic Sounds made in Germany. With both machines I only use the vacum part. I clean by hand. Many people even simply wash their records in the sink with dish soap and water and then rinse, pat dry with a clean towel and done. Most of us have found modern cleaners and rinses with distilled water to work better, though. But, the vacum part of a machine is just a convenience. A lint free towel is just as good.
                                                    Here is a real simple, non machine, regime that works just fine and takes no special equipment:
                                                    1) Using compressed air or your carbon brush make sure any solid particles are wiped off the record.
                                                    2) Squirt some record cleaning fluid on the record. I recommend any of the following three cleaners, Audio Intelligence, Record Research, or L'Art du Son.
                                                    3) Using a foam painters brush (foam, not bristle) or the record cleaning brush from VPI or Disc Doctor lightly scrub the record (don't worry, they are more durable than you think and wont scratch)
                                                    4) Rinse with distilled water, dry with towel, then give it a second rinse and drying. The advantage of the machine, is you can vacum dry the record between each step instead of the tedious towel drying.
                                                    If a record has mold or fingerprints, you can first use a enzyme cleaner.
                                                    Just don't get liquid on the label.

In regards to finding a dealer for a Teres Turn Table, there aren't any. They can only be purchased direct from the builder, unless you find a rare used one. Here is a brief history of the table. Chris machined a excellent bearing that DIYers used as the basis of their TTs. A world wide internet discussion and collaboration of engineers, machinist, and other first class TT builders started. Each sharing design discoveries and failures. Every aspect of the turntable was discussed to death, even what material worked best for a belt. Out of these discussions and designs the Teres Tables, the Galibier Tables, and the Red Point tables came into being. Transcpripts of the dialog and pictures of the design evolutions can be found on the Teres website. http://teresaudio.com/project/index.html

Comment

• miner
                                                      • Mar 2005

I have been cleaning my LPs by hand lately using an Orbitrac2. I also hand scrub using Disk Doctor brushes and a DIY cleaning solution (4 parts distilled water, 1 part 91% isopropyl alcohol and 2 drops of Ivory soap). I rinse with filtered water and dry with a microfiber towel. Works for me. I have just started my vinyl collection again - I purchased a Rega P5, Exact2 cartridge and the optional TTPSU. I just love the sound of vinyl in the morning...it sounds like victory.

To keep from gettig liquid on the label I will be purchasing a Groovmaster - a cleaver design that clamps protective caps over tha labels.

Comment

• vatulele
                                                        • Dec 2006

Thanks for all that Bob
                                                        Ive ordered some cleaner and will pick up some distilled water over the weekend and get scrubbing ! I,m a little confused by the ' foam brush ' I tried getting hold of the disc doctor one but that could prove difficult. Ive never used a foam brush for painting, would any soft foam do the trick ? Does absorbant kitchen paper towel work if dabbed, or would that leave lint ?

Comment

• meltdown
                                                          • Apr 2006

vinyl is final

Cd's are great when you have had too much german beer, it doesnt take much coordination to sling them into a player,and what the heck if it does get damaged, you hike out to Walley World and replace it, and you can check out the I Pod thingys on the way by. Eat my ORTOFON dust. SRV rules.

Comment

• Bob
                                                            • Jul 2000

Vatulele,
                                                            Could be foam brushes aren't available in London. They are common in the U.S., sort of a one time usage throw away thing.

Comment

• vatulele
                                                              • Dec 2006

My L'art du Son has turned up and ive got myself some appropriate sponge and lint free drying cloth and ready to go have a dabble at cleaning up some LPs that have up to 20 years of cracks and pops on them ! Well at least I would if I could find some distilled water. I despair of this country (England) sometimes. Its become so corporately standardised that you just cant buy things like distilled water. De-ionsed water all over the place to top up your car radiator. (presumably because its a tenth of the price to produce ) But because we live in such a throw away society, you cant buy battery top up water any more, you have to buy a new battery ! The local chemist said ' sorry, I'm not allowed to sell it ' Why not, in case I try and drown myself in it. Would you beleive we dont have hardware shops in the UK anymore, we have DIY shops or lifestyle stores where you can buy pre-made, flat-packed furniture and fittings for your mass-market, mass-produced, pre-fabricated house. But you cannot find a shop that will sell you any materials to make anything for yourself. I know its out there somewhere, but I really wasnt expecting to have to do internet homework to find a supplier of clean water !

I will get there in the end and get back to you on my results.

Comment

• Bob
                                                                • Jul 2000

If you can't find distilled water, try Club Soda. I've never tried it but, it is a good home cleaning solution.

Comment

• vatulele
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Club Soda, now thats even rarer than distilled water here in the UK ! I can imagine it would take me a long time to get the sugar crystals out of the grooves !

Luckily I've found a nice supplier of distilled that delivers to my door. Very kind of them. Quite looking forward to hearing the results. Ive just taken delivery of a Lehmann Black Cube and am going to test it against a Trichord Dino and sell the one that comes second, whose going to win do u think Bob?

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2006

Roksan Xerxes 10 Or 20 And Michell Gyrodec/qc Pwr Supply

Hi

I'm new to this thread. Can somebody please tell where I could find some proper reviews of the new Roksan Xerxes 20 record deck as I am unable to locate any?

Does any one actually own the Roksan Xerxes X, and what do they think of it's sound quality ?

Does anybody also own a Michell Gyrodec/QC Power Supply and getting motor noise like my deck?

What is there own opinion on the sound quality of the Michell Gyrodec?

Let me Know
                                                                    Yas
                                                                    Last edited by Yasvanth; 01 March 2007, 09:18 Thursday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"