X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Vinyl records were special

Absolutely NOT wanting to get into the sonic comparisons of vinyl vs. digital, I was spinning a CD this morning and I thought back to the day I first bought this music. It was on vinyl of course (I'm 48 years old) and I was thinking that as much as I love the sound quality of modern, well recorded and mastered CD's, DVD's and Blu Rays, I just never get the same feeling as I got when I purchased a record. It was a half speed mastered record pressed on virgin vinyl and sheer size of it, the pictures on the sleeve inside and all that jazz made it very special. ;x(

The only thing that has not changed in regards to digital audio is the 'wonder' of how it's gonna' sound on my stereo when I get it home. But, everything else of 'the wonder of it' is somehow missing in the tiny CD packaging :Z
    Dan Madden :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. When shopping for LPs, I loved to read the liner notes on the backside. They were always interesting. Glad I still have a big collection of these babies.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I was a relatively early adopter of CD (1985), at a time when most people were still focused on vinyl. I did not have a large vinyl collection and I'd been impressed by my local library's collection of CDs (with several CD players with headphones available in the library to listen to their small collection), so I made an early move to CD (I'm 44, by the way, so not too young to remember the dominance of vinyl).

I understand the attraction of vinyl in terms of the whole ritual that accompanies it--tweaking the TT settings, the extra care needed for vinyl, the clearly better format for album artwork. I do plan to get a TT in the relatively near future (my parents have a huge 78 collection that I'd like to archive) and I will enjoy the ritual again. Without getting into a debate about SQ, I will state that, for me, vinyl (when it becomes part of my setup again) will be a supplemental, rather than the primary, source of music for me.

Comment

• Masterbrain
        • Dec 2011

Vinyl

Great Forum. First Post. You got me thinking. I started CD's around 1988.
        I remember Cutting the neighbors grass when I was 13, then taking the money and walking about 4 miles to Rivoli music in town to purchase a classical record then have to walk all the way back. I couldn’t wait to play it. The feeling I got and the sound was great. Even on my “Grants Special” stereo. I think the crossovers in those speakers was just a resistor. Strange thing is after reading your post I remembered I still have all those records and probably a thousand more sitting in a storage cube I had for years. I haven’t heard vinyl in many years. But now I am wanting to buy a Dynaco pas tube pre amp and run it to my Yamaha M-60 to my Klipsch Forte II’s. I don’t think any of my old turn tables are any good though. Maybe someone can suggest an entry level to low mid priced turntable to start with. I wonder if those records will ever sound "as good" as they did back then.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Welcome to he Guide, Masterbrain. I see musician listed as a hobby. It was one of mine , too, in my younger days. Played trumpet in some local pickup bands, did some radio work, and played with a small group I formed for weddings, New Years and what nots. It was great fun.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
            Yeah, I couldn't agree more. When shopping for LPs, I loved to read the liner notes on the backside. They were always interesting. Glad I still have a big collection of these babies.
            Yes and if we were still buying them today and with my current eyesight, I would actually be able to read the notes on the back. With CD's, if I don't have my eye glasses.....FORGET IT!!. It's even worse for the back of DVD boxes and Blu rays!! :M

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
              I was a relatively early adopter of CD (1985), at a time when most people were still focused on vinyl. I did not have a large vinyl collection and I'd been impressed by my local library's collection of CDs (with several CD players with headphones available in the library to listen to their small collection), so I made an early move to CD (I'm 44, by the way, so not too young to remember the dominance of vinyl).

I understand the attraction of vinyl in terms of the whole ritual that accompanies it--tweaking the TT settings, the extra care needed for vinyl, the clearly better format for album artwork. I do plan to get a TT in the relatively near future (my parents have a huge 78 collection that I'd like to archive) and I will enjoy the ritual again. Without getting into a debate about SQ, I will state that, for me, vinyl (when it becomes part of my setup again) will be a supplemental, rather than the primary, source of music for me.

MY first bought CD was Supertramp's "Breakfast in America", like you, back in 1985.... and I remember getting home with my new CD player and my $25 buck CD......wiring it up and seeing my jaw drop as I listened to the sound coming out of my speakers!! OMG.....I'll never forget that moment!! :E

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Masterbrain
                Great Forum. First Post. You got me thinking. I started CD's around 1988.
                I remember Cutting the neighbors grass when I was 13, then taking the money and walking about 4 miles to Rivoli music in town to purchase a classical record then have to walk all the way back. I couldn’t wait to play it. The feeling I got and the sound was great. Even on my “Grants Special” stereo. I think the crossovers in those speakers was just a resistor. Strange thing is after reading your post I remembered I still have all those records and probably a thousand more sitting in a storage cube I had for years. I haven’t heard vinyl in many years. But now I am wanting to buy a Dynaco pas tube pre amp and run it to my Yamaha M-60 to my Klipsch Forte II’s. I don’t think any of my old turn tables are any good though. Maybe someone can suggest an entry level to low mid priced turntable to start with. I wonder if those records will ever sound "as good" as they did back then.
                If you get a decent TT with a decent cartridge, you will be amazed at how good vinyl still sounds......even by today's audio standards. Not wanting to open a can of worms here, many people on this forum who have excellent TT gear prefer the sound of vinyl over digital. I spun some vinyl a few years back and was surprised at how nice the sound was.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Aw, the heck with a can of worms: vinyl WARM cd COLD :P
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well there are some that have both an amazing digital setup and an amazing TT setup and have dialed it in so that they nearly can't tell the difference. Of course it all comes down to mastering quality on CD's, many of them are terrible. Not to say you can't get a bad master on Vinyl, it does happen.

Comment

• Masterbrain
                      • Dec 2011

I heard Vinyl sounds warm in comparison. It would be worth it just for all the out of print performances I have. I remember years ago during the digital ransition trying to get my favorite LP’s on CD but couldn’t. With classical music I would buy the same work several times performed by a different conductor, pianist or orchestra until I found a version that suited my musical taste. A lot of great performances were lost or are sitting in someone’s basement on vinyl.

Comment

• Masterbrain
                        • Dec 2011

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds great, I love the sound of brass. You should take your trumpet out and jam a little. You will be surprised how fast you can get back into it. Aside from strengthening your lip it's like riding a bike. I play a very large trumpet called a tuba.
                        (I ment to click the quote button at George B)
                        Last edited by Masterbrain; 18 December 2011, 16:32 Sunday. Reason: (I ment to click the quote button at George B)

Comment

• Masterbrain
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by madmac
                          If you get a decent TT with a decent cartridge, you will be amazed at how good vinyl still sounds......even by today's audio standards. Not wanting to open a can of worms here, many people on this forum who have excellent TT gear prefer the sound of vinyl over digital. I spun some vinyl a few years back and was surprised at how nice the sound was.
                          I’ve been looking at TT’s on line. The TT I have in storage is an Audio-Technica form the 80’s. I think I paid $250 for it and $100 for the cartridge. The design looks very chose the $300 to $500 models I see today. I wonder If that would be a good starting point. Or have the turntables under $500 really improved that much. I have a lot of reading to do. I will probably start with a new cartridge for my old TT. I will need either a phono pre for a Yamaha RX-A800 or a dynaco pas 3 my friend will sell me for $200 and run it with a Yamaha M-60. Anybody have any thoughts before I start reading.

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

I'd get it out of storage and take it in for a good tune up and what not.

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

MY first bought CD was Supertramp's "Breakfast in America", like you, back in 1985.... and I remember getting home with my new CD player and my $25 buck CD......wiring it up and seeing my jaw drop as I listened to the sound coming out of my speakers!! OMG.....I'll never forget that moment!! :E
                              Funny enough, my first LP was Breakfast in America in 1979. Think I still have it somewhere in storage.

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

An AT table and cartridge that set you back $350 in the 80s will probably sound pretty good with some tLC. Throw a belt on it , clean it up and give 'er a spin! I'm trapped 2000 miles from my stereo , so maybe I can listen vicariously through you? LOL
                                Oh yeah , Welcome to the Guide!
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Aw, the heck with a can of worms: vinyl WARM cd COLD :P

I'm not biting George!!!

ok...digital is better........ :lol:

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

I’ve been looking at TT’s on line. The TT I have in storage is an Audio-Technica form the 80’s. I think I paid $250 for it and $100 for the cartridge. The design looks very chose the $300 to $500 models I see today. I wonder If that would be a good starting point. Or have the turntables under $500 really improved that much. I have a lot of reading to do. I will probably start with a new cartridge for my old TT. I will need either a phono pre for a Yamaha RX-A800 or a dynaco pas 3 my friend will sell me for $200 and run it with a Yamaha M-60. Anybody have any thoughts before I start reading.

If it's Belt driven, it will likely not work properly now and you'll get 'warbled' sound from it. You will need to change the belt. Make sure you get the right belt or you'll still get warbled sound like I did once. If it's direct drive, pop off the platter and put a few drops of sewing machine oil or WD 40 into the motor and try it out. Phono pre-amps start at 40 bucks and can go up quite a bit from there so that aspect of it is up to you. As for the needle, I don't really see how that can wear out by non-use. Depending on how much playing time is on it, it may still be good???.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

You should take your trumpet out and jam a little. You will be surprised how fast you can get back into it. Aside from strengthening your lip it's like riding a bike. I play a very large trumpet called a tuba.
                                      I've gone back to the trumpet a few times over the years. Problem is you pretty much have to practice every day to keep the lip up, which I'm sure you know. The tuba always looked like a challenge to me. The largest trumpet I've played is the trombone. Fun, but my love was, and still is, for the trumpet. It's an instrument you hold close to your heart.
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

I'm not biting George!!!

ok...digital is better........ :lol:
                                        Vinyl is better... :lol:
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Bakelite beats them all.

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

... but bacon makes EVERYTHING better!
                                            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
                                              • Aug 2000

People keep saying "vinyl is better" so I picked up an LP and took it home...

... I still can't figure out how to get it into my CD player's drawer! 8O Better? Bah! :rofl:

Comment

• Alaric
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

It is better , but Chris makes a very good point!
                                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                Schiit Modi 3
                                                Marantz CD5005
                                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• madmac
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2010

Vinyl is better... :lol:

No...no...no.....digital is better!! :T

ps...remember George, YOU started it !!!! :B

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

Wax cylinders, all the way. Anything else is heresy!!!!111!!1!!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2006

....Maybe someone can suggest an entry level to low mid priced turntable to start with.
                                                      the Music Hall has a built-in USB connection that allows you to create digital copes of your LP's. It's a decent sounding table in its own right, also.
                                                      Music Hall link

for simply play-back, not much can compare value-wise with the Rega RP1. Note that the upgrade kit has been highly recommended but does not need to be purchased at the same time.
                                                      Rega link

These tables are available from many dealers, I used the links only to provide some basic reference.

As for your question
                                                      I wonder if those records will ever sound "as good" as they did back then?
                                                      it will have as much to do with your 'Frame of Mind' as it will with the equipment and condition of the vinyl. :W
                                                      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                        Wax cylinders, all the way. Anything else is heresy!!!!111!!1!!
                                                        I loved those cylinders...
                                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

Actually listened to some at an exhibit of early audio gear at the Montreal audio show last year. Kind of neat.

Comment

• Masterbrain
                                                            • Dec 2011

I loved those cylinders...
                                                            I happen to own 2 Edison Standard Phonos one plays
                                                            2 minute wax cylinders. one plays both 2 minute and 4 minute cylinders. they do have a very unique sound. I especially like the KoHauuuAAaaaa sound of the nail scraping on the cylinder with ounces of force. The first cylindrical record I heard was J P Sousa's Liberty Bell March. I can still hear it in my head.
                                                            Here we go again.... more stuff to dig out of storage.

Comment

• Masterbrain
                                                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                              the Music Hall has a built-in USB connection that allows you to create digital copes of your LP's. It's a decent sounding table in its own right, also.
                                                              Music Hall link

for simply play-back, not much can compare value-wise with the Rega RP1. Note that the upgrade kit has been highly recommended but does not need to be purchased at the same time.
                                                              Rega link

These tables are available from many dealers, I used the links only to provide some basic reference.

As for your question it will have as much to do with your 'Frame of Mind' as it will with the equipment and condition of the vinyl. :W
                                                              Thanks to everyone for the info and for the suggestions. I went to my 20x20 storage unit. At this point it would be much easier to buy something new than move the 100 boxes and what not. Of cource the TT and records are at the very rear. So I guess I don't have a choice.

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"