X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

Scientific Fidelity's Crown Joule Speaker

Anyone using this speaker? What is the best Amp/Preamp to use on this speaker under $1,500?
  • Music4Life
    • May 2006

I've got this superior built speaker of the 90's and it seems that nobody here knew all about it. I bought this speaker in an almost give away price. I checked the web and no information coming out regarding this speaker. At the back of the speaker says "Crown Joule Speaker - Designed by Mike Maloney" Here's the photo:
    Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

That's a really interesting looking cabinet. And, a seriously glossy finish I might add. Do they sound as good as they look? How would you describe their sound - bright, mellow, etc?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

found one user review.

Summary:
        I have owned many (very expensive) "Class A" - rated speakers, but never have I experienced a speaker that brings me closer to the music. Imaging, tonal accuracy, rhythmic pace, micro and macro dynamics - you name it, and it's here - in spades!
        Several years back, Martin De Wolf (of Bound For Sound - very recommended publication!) listed the (stock) Crown Joule as a Speaker of Exceptional Merit. There have been several mentions of "Best Sound of Show" in more than a couple respected audiophile publications.

The new version (24K Signature) is miles ahead, sonically, of the stock Crown Joule. Better crossover with fewer parts (no caps!), better drivers, better internal bracing and damping (they now weigh 70 lbs. each - up from 25 lbs.!)

Looking for your last speaker? Here it is!
        Greg

Comment

• Music4Life
          • May 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
          That's a really interesting looking cabinet. And, a seriously glossy finish I might add. Do they sound as good as they look? How would you describe their sound - bright, mellow, etc?

I am a bit dissappointed with the sound because I am expecting MORE compare to my CM1 (B&W). I use NAD C372 + Shanling T80 to drive it. It turns out to be the same sound quality that I hear from my CM1. The former owner use Mark Levinson power amp and Sony SACD and the sound is mellow but the sound quality is not that VERY FAR from my own equipment. You know ML is maybe 10X more expensive than my NAD. There is an obvious difference (of course) but in terms of price difference, I think it is not worth it. What I am fascinated about this speaker is it's looks. The matching wooden stand alone weighs more than 50 kgs. each.

Comment

• Music4Life
            • May 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
            Summary:
            I have owned many (very expensive) "Class A" - rated speakers, but never have I experienced a speaker that brings me closer to the music. Imaging, tonal accuracy, rhythmic pace, micro and macro dynamics - you name it, and it's here - in spades!
            Several years back, Martin De Wolf (of Bound For Sound - very recommended publication!) listed the (stock) Crown Joule as a Speaker of Exceptional Merit. There have been several mentions of "Best Sound of Show" in more than a couple respected audiophile publications.

The new version (24K Signature) is miles ahead, sonically, of the stock Crown Joule. Better crossover with fewer parts (no caps!), better drivers, better internal bracing and damping (they now weigh 70 lbs. each - up from 25 lbs.!)

Looking for your last speaker? Here it is!

I can't find it anymore, but I saw one article about this stock Crown Joule speaker, saying that Sci-Fi produced "only" 1,000 units of this model.

Comment

• Cantus67
              • Jan 2014

Hi, the Scientific Fidelity Crown Joule is a great speaker if you have the right amp. The SciFi's were designed to work with tubes and they sing with tubes if you have the right one. I have their flagship speakers (recently rebuilt), the Tesla's, and they are extremely good in musicality, image and clarity, there are some small drawbacks but they are easily overcome with a good source and a good tube amp. I use the Atma-Sphere M60's as my power source but the Atma-Sphere M30 (which is stereo) is a good choice for the Joule. To be honest I've never really heard another speaker for the price that had the image, and clarity that the Sci'Fi's had. This is a picture of my current setup, I'm gogning to be adding a really good DAC soon which I'll use to run my CD's (all in FLAC format right now). I see it's been awhile since this post went up but I hope you see it.

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Sweet system!

I love valves!

I remember of the SF speakers but have never had a chance to hear any.

I like the coherence of an MTM layout.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Thread blast from the past. Cool setup, man.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"