X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

budget amp to drive my 25-31

okay.

I am ready to order my amp to drive my SVS 25-31 subwoofer. It's rated at 350watts RMS. It's a 4 ohm load. I was thinking about going with the behringer a500 which is a 500 watt amp at 4 ohm, and just turn down the gain to accomidate the 350 max rating. However, I am not certain I need that much power. I am on a budget of $200 for this amplifier. I have a rack for equipment already installed in my basement, so rack mounting would be a plus. It's an LFE subwoofer so I don't need the amp to have any filters on it, the reciever will be set to only send below 80hz to it anyway.

any suggestions?
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

I have two A500 in my set up at the moment. They work well, although one of them started making a ‘tiny’ hissing noise when the potentiometer is turned. Those pots are real cheap and the reliability is not great as it seems. Otherwise it is a fine amp. Certainly for the SVS 25-31 sub it will do well. There is no long term data on how reliable those amps are, but at $200 a pop you really cannot go wrong.

I will be removing my A500s from my rig soon and replacing all of my amps with UcD digital modules. Certainly for your application the UcD is perfect. You can get a 400 watt module for very reasonable cost but still it will be more then A500. Look at diycable.com for pre-made and DIY kits.

Comment

• clearwaterms
      • Nov 2006

i looked at the UcD and it would be quite a bit more money then the behringer a500. The behringer is $180, shipped, while the UcD is like $1000. It looks really nice, but not for me

Comment

• clearwaterms
        • Nov 2006

I ended up with a Rythmatix 350watt plate amp. i am going to put it into a nice little box and call it a day. I decided against the A500 when i found out that it doesn't do 4 ohm bridged. which would have given me 230watts but also that they are over rated. Now in hind sight. I have the gain on my rythmatix turned down to less then half and it's still loud enough to shake the couch one floor above it.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"