X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CJ Paul
    • Oct 2004

Behringer and 1/4" TRS inputs

I'm thinking about using a Behringer amp to power my IB when I get it built. Is a 1/4" TRS input just the 1/4" "phono jack" type input like the BFD takes?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Yes, 1/4-inch TRS is the same thing the BFD uses. This is a standard connector type on pro gear. If the Behringer amp also has XLR inputs, these are sturdier, better quality connectors.

Comment

• CJ Paul
      • Oct 2004

It does have XLR inputs, but I dont have any XLR outs...

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hmmm, sounds like a job for "CATCable Man"! :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

CAT can build you RCA to 1/4" phono input, and have all necessary materials on hand. I'd prefer that to the XLR option really.

Just let me know,
          Doug
          CAT
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Are you going from the BFD output to the amp input? The BFD has XLR ins and outs. You could go TRS in and XLR out on the BFD if you like. Doug made me a "half and half" Bluetiger cable with RCA on one end and XLR on the other for my BFD a few years back. So I went from RCA on my receiver to XLR on the BFD, then XLR from the BFD to the amp. You could also use TRS for either of these hookups as well, especially now that CAT offers it.

Doug, 1/4" phono must be new for CAT, I don't recall that option being available before. Why do you prefer that over XLR?

Comment

• CJ Paul
              • Oct 2004

Right now I have a monoblock amp with a standard RCA in, so I'm going RCA out of the receiver to radio shack gold plated adapter TRS plug into the BFD and then the same cable/adapter out to the amp. When I get the new amp, not only will it have different inputs (TRS and XLR) but I'll also be needing to feed BOTH channels, unless it has a mono switch (http://www.123dj.com/amps/behringer/ep1500.html) Anybody think thats what 2-channel, parallel or bridged mono operating modes means (the parallel part)??? If so, then what I'd do is get one RCA to TRS cable and one TRS to TRS cable, right?

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Kevin, I've had 1/4" connectors a long time, just not really advertised.

I like the 2 pronge to 2 pronge approach vs 2 to 3. XLR being 3 pin doesn't match up, so there is the matter of making sure it is configured correctly. Not building these all the time, the 2 pronge to 2 pronge is just a lot simpler.

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• CJ Paul
                  • Oct 2004

I've heard XLR pinouts are not all the same, so to even build a "something" to XLR, you have to know the pinout of the jack on that particular piece of gear (from my understanding).

Comment

• purplepeople
                    • Aug 2004

Both the XLR and the 1/4" TRS connectors are balanced and will conform to the AES and EBU conventions. From what I understand, you have use a buffer to create a balanced signal or else even the RCA-1/4" adapter will not be using the full capability of the amp.

In any case,

XLR
                    1-gnd
                    2-pos
                    3-neg

1/4"
                    T-pos
                    R-neg
                    S-gnd

ensen.
                    Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• purplepeople
                      • Aug 2004

2-ch for stereo inputs to stereo speakers
                      bridge/parallel for 1-ch input to mono speaker

ensen.
                      Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• ktaillon
                        • Jun 2004

Behringer AMP

Behringer will be coming out with a new audiophile type amp soon. It will have XLR - 1/4 TRS and!!! RCA inputs. It's model A500 - and you can find it on their web site.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"