X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ami_gr
    • Sep 2006

Denon Dvd 3930 Red Book Performance

I m interesting in buying DVD 3930 universal player

Do you think its performance especially as a red book cd player is good enough?

My 2 channel system is krell kav400xi and b&w 802d

I will also use this as dvd with bose acoustimass 15 and yamaha rxv1500 system

George
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

It is a strict violation of the Geneva convention to mention 802D and Bose in the same paragraph, please refrain from doing this ever again

:-)

your system is all over the place, i would think about better amplification for the 802D's first

as for a DVD/CD, i personally do like the Denon, but i would consider the Arcam as a much better choice

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

imo the denon 3930 is a waste for ht teamed with that yamaha and bose

as for two channel it is phenominal as are the speakers you have (i assume the amp too but im not too familiar with it)

so if you are into two channel dvd-a and sacd id say go for it
      if you just want 16/48 cd for two channel and have no interest in the limited titels on sacd and dvd-a id probably just suggest a cambridge azur 640 cd player with maybe an oppo dvd player

what tv/ screen do you have

regardless of your intentions you may want to consider the more modestly priced 2930 as it is very very good and probably the best bang for your buck

check out the denon and oppo reviews here:
      Home Theater Reviews for Systems and Audio Components - Audio Visual Product Reviews, Technical AV Guides, Home Theater Equipment and Product Reviews

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

As for your original question, whether the 3930 is good enough for redbook, the answer is a resounding yes. I have the 3910, which excels in audio from SACD, DVD-A, and redbook.

If anything, it'll be more than need, as mentioned from the other guys.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

if the 3930 is anythign liek the denon 3910 or 2900 before it then your wasting yoru time for quality 2ch with it. a mid range budget dedicated cd player will probably do a better job. With the krell amp and 802D speakers of your 2ch system you want ot be lookign at a decent cd plaeyr in the $3k-$5k aussie mark in my opinion. soem beauties out there just need to start demoing. can also look at sacd players eg the marantz sa-15/11 put out a very respactable performance.
          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
            if the 3930 is anythign liek the denon 3910 or 2900 before it then your wasting yoru time for quality 2ch with it. a mid range budget dedicated cd player will probably do a better job. With the krell amp and 802D speakers of your 2ch system you want ot be lookign at a decent cd plaeyr in the $3k-$5k aussie mark in my opinion. soem beauties out there just need to start demoing. can also look at sacd players eg the marantz sa-15/11 put out a very respactable performance.
            I'm with the smilie cat on this one. I heard a Denon 3910 vs a Shanling T80 only last night on a pair of Martin Logans. Nice for SACD but the relatively inexpensive Shanling won for redbook. Personally I am looking at Naim 5x + external power supply (or similar) to do justice to 804s. My B&W dealer suggests the Meridian GO8 for 805 to 803D and the ECD1 Electrocompaniet for the 802 up. They deserve and will reveal the benefits of the more expensive players (even my 804s will do that)
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
              • May 2004

I agree with Kurt, a better amp/s will do more for you than a better cd player. The kreel integrated is nice, but the 802D will test its limits.

Another option on the cd player is an outboard dac. I use the Denon 2900 with a Bel canto Dac and red book is very good, creating the best of both worlds for its price point.
              Steel

Comment

• twitch54
                • Apr 2006

I tend to agree with Kurt and Coiledsteelman, I'm not too much of a fan of "universal" players. besides you have a great pair of Speakers in the 802D's and better pre-amp / amp combo would be high on my priorty list as well.
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"