X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hal
    • Jul 2003

24 vs. 16 bit on DVD-A with RSX1055

I had a chance to audition a Denon 2900 with the Rotel RSX1055. I was very impressed by red-book playback as well as SACD & DVD-A. I realized after returning the 1055 that the Denon had been set to output only 16 bit for DVD-A so when I listened via the coax cable I was not at full resolution. Can anyone comment on the differences in sound?

Related question: does either the Denon or the Rotel upsample red-book CD to 24 bit?
  • med
    • Jul 2003

I own the same combo, and I am quite sure that neither upsample redbook CDs. They don't advertise it anyways. However, I found the 2900s DACs to sound a little bit better for redbook playback. Hard to describe HOW it was better... just better IMO

Comment

• eelco74
      • Dec 2002

I might be wrong, but as far as I know multichannel DVD-A is only available via the 5.1 channel output. If you use the digital output the surround mix is downmixed to 2 channels, and this sounds horrible.

So for the best possible sound, you should listen via the 5.1 analogue output. 2 channels dvd-A might work via the digital connection. However I am quite confident that the 2900 DACS work better then the 1066 dac's.

I have never found evidence that the 2900 upsamples redbook CD's, like for instance the Philips 963SA.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"