X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Speaker "Pop" - Ouch!

Hello. I recently set up my Rotel equipment for the first time and am experiencing the speaker pop when the amp powers up. I know that this can damage the speakers but I thought I set everything up correctly. ??

Everything is connected to the Rotel Line Conditioner RLC-1040 and turned on in the following order:

Rotel 1068 pre/pro
    Rotel 1095 amp (Delayed Power On)

Is this correct? 1st the preamp and then the delayed power up of the amp?

Thanks!
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

Do you have any other components that are run through your system (i.e. DVD player, XBOX, etc)? You may find that it is another component that is causing the popping. Try unplugging everything else and see if it still occurs. You could use process of elimination to determine where the problem may lie.

I also think your order is correct. Amp last when powering up and amp off first when shutting down.

Good luck!

Comment

• Club1820
      • Jan 2006

NMG, thanks for the response.

Yes, I have other units connected to the 1040 Line Conditioner. But I am not sure that these have any affect as they arent powered up but on stand by.

Here is what I have connected to the 1040 which is always on as suggested by the manual.

1040 Always on
      1068 Standby
      1060 DVD Standby
      1055 CD Standby
      1095 Amp Delayed turn on after the 1068 is turned on.

Basically I have everything connected to the 1040 in the appropriate outlets on the back of the 1040. I also have a 12v trigger from the 1068 to the 1040 that controls the delayed switch on the 1040. the 1095 amp is connected to the delayed switch.

So the 1040 is on, I hit the power button on the 1068, it comes out of standby, then the 1095 amp turns on in a few moments and then "pop" !

I will go ahead and try what you suggested. Disconnect everything from the 1040 except for the 1068 & 1095.

Thanks!
      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• NMG
        • Oct 2004

Hopefully you can figure it out. I know that when I have my DVD player hooked up to my TV I will sometimes get a small popping sound when the amp turns on. When I have my XBOX 360 hooked up instead of the DVD player (I have to swap them in and out due to limited component inputs), I NEVER get a popping sound. This led me to assume that the DVD layer was somehow introducing something into the mix.

Now, the XBOX sound output is not run through my amp, it goes straight to the TV, but the DVD player is hooked through my amp. Hmmm, maybe I should just hook the DVD player straight to the TV and see if the occasional problem still persists.

Good luck!

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

I had a hunch, - I disconnected the 12v trigger from the 1068 to the 1040 (which then controlled the delayed turn on of the 1095) and viola - speaker "pop" gone!

Solves the problem but doesnt explain it. Shouldnt be popping but I guess I will just have to live with physically turning on the amp myself. Oh well. Better than ruining my speakers!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"