X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thelonious Funk
    • Dec 2006

Frustrated

Since I bought my system two weeks ago I find myself constantly defending myself to friends and family.

They just don't understand. Everyone at work thinks you buy some Bose 901's and be done with it. The fact that I drove 200 miles to buy speakers and an amplifier blows their tiny little minds.

I have to come here and read the posts you good people leave to settle down.

Long live quality.
    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

People that say that can't tell the difference between a mp3 and a CD either...

No use trying to convince them either since they just hear music and not "listen"

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

My friends thought I was nuts when I told them I auditioned FORTY speaker models, from about 15 brands. Never mind about having TWO DVD players (one for hi-res audio--a whole other can of worms to explain) in one system (seven in the house if you count computers). I don't really discuss what I paid for my players (in this day of the 39$ player available at the local grocery store, announcing I spent 800$ on my universal player would likely get me locked up for insanity). Thankfully, my wife (who earns all the money) understands how important good audio is to me (even if she'd be happy with her 250$ JVC micro system and a plain old 20 inch TV).

Comment

• Vince Helm
        • Mar 2006

Me too, I work with a bunch of PHD's and they laugh at me and my hifi all day long! Well, one no longer does. I talked him into using the Monitor Audio ideck system for his ipod and computer, he was very pleased and happy with the upgrade in sound. Then I used some ProGold on the connections and upgraded his speaker wire and left the office for the day. He called me on the cell about 30 minutes later to say that he actually noticed a difference and offered his thanks!!! The other guys still poke fun but that is OK with me!

Best of luck!!!
        Vince

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

Many of my friends acknowledge that I have a nice sounding system, but at the same time share little of the enthusiasm.

For most of them, the stereo merely produces background music to enhance some other event. Fine reproduction and dedicated listening almost never is THE event to them as it can be for me/us.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• meltdown
            • Apr 2006

Brother, you only go around but once. Work hard, play harder.

Comment

• DL86
              • Sep 2005

I get annoyed at my freinds aswell. Its all about justifying cost to them. Mp3 should never have been invented kills the music industry.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                • Dec 2006

I'm envisioning a room with 20 couches all in the sweet spot, all of us listening to great music while enjoying some good whiskey.

It's time for a convention. heh. I'd have to try and explain that to people too.
                Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• whoaru99
                  • Jul 2004

I think it's as Sim said.

In the big picture almost everyone likes to hear music of one sort or another, but relatively few actually listen.
                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

We (those addicted to this hobby) tend to beat to a different drum. The beauty is, we're happy and so are they (the others). I stopped trying to convince others years ago. When I settle in for some audio (music or movie) I'm never thinking about how others may hear my system. :W

My wife used to be one of the "others". Now she too appreciates better quality of sound and video. Even funnier, she will even ask me to make sure everything is set correctly if she's listening to or watching something that I have no interest in.

It only took her two years to convert. And that was with, a steady diet of my hobby daily! :T :rofl:
                    Last edited by John Holmes; 22 December 2006, 18:48 Friday.
                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I wouldn't even try to defend anything I have in my HT. What I have is what suits me and I could care less about anyone else thinks about it.
                      Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 22 December 2006, 15:05 Friday.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• dknightd
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                        I wouldn't even try to defend anything I have in my HT. What I have is what suits me and I could care less about anyone else things about it.
                        cheers.

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Eric, everyone has some form of entertainment/hobby/obsession that they love. For us it's music, movies, TV and the equipment that goes with it. Some of these people that shake their heads at your things will be the same people that will only use Solingen steel kitchen cutlery, or only drink $200/bottle wines, or will drop thousands on a nitrous/supercharger system for a car or will pay crazy money for a first edition book. Don't let your friends lack of understanding get you down. Hey, put on some fine tunes, sit back and enjoy what you've discovered. Smile to yourself and think about all the good years of music you've got coming. We'll be here to share it with you. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• DL86
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                            I wouldn't even try to defend anything I have in my HT. What I have is what suits me and I could care less about anyone else thinks about it.
                            well said

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by DL86
                              Mp3 should never have been invented kills the music industry.
                              I have to disagree with you there DL86. I find MP3's are a very useful way to evaluate music before I buy it. Sometimes I'll download the whole album. If it's any good I'll buy it because the .cda version is so much better than the MP3 version. If I don't like it I'll discard it because it takes up valuable space for no purpose.

MP3's are also a very handy way to send a friend a single track of interest via email, e.g. a particular musician that I'm discussing with a friend, or a riff in a song, or an interesting version of an old song etc. You listen once and then usually delete it.

Nigel.

Comment

• DL86
                                • Sep 2005

I meant with regards to piracy. I agree with your statement though.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Yes, there are definitely a lot of people that think we're off our rockers in our interest in A/V stuff. For me, it 's when they hear I built my own private theater. Two things I've found worthwhile when it comes to people treating you like you're nuts.

1. Just show them what good audio and video looks/sounds like. Do a comparative test as best as you can. They may see the difference, they may not. For many, though, it's like opening their eyes to something they didn't know existed, like tasting filet mignon after eating macaroni and cheese your whole life. Like Plato's allegory to the cave. People are astounded when they sit in my theater, as to what good audio sounds like and good HD video looks like.

2. Money always comes up--people demand to know what you paid, and then treat you like you're insane if they ever do find out. (I refuse to tell people what I've paid) But you can always make a comparison for them--"Well, that DVD player that will give me high-end enjoyment for years cost me $1400. You guys just came back from vacation--that one week trip cost you guys $3900, right?" I always point out to people when they dig in my finances that I'm a boring person--don't do extravagant vacations, don't eat in fancy (or other) restaraunts hardly ever, don't buy fancy clothes, don't go clubbing, etc. I spend all my free time at home. I just choose to use the money I save in not doing those other things, on the big things I want--home theater stuff, a nice car, and a nice house.
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• meltdown
                                    • Apr 2006

Ditto.

Comment

• RobP
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

I think what it all really comes down to is true passion, IMO alot of people do not have it, and if you do not posses it, then you cannot understand someone who does.
                                      How many times have we met someone with a strong interest in something much different than our own, we may not be intrigued by that subject, but somehow we can relate to, and appreciate their level of commitment to what they do. That is because we have tasted passion ourselves.
                                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                        I think what it all really comes down to is true passion, IMO alot of people do not have it, and if you do not posses it, then you cannot understand someone who does.
                                        How many times have we met someone with a strong interest in something much different than our own, we may not be intrigued by that subject, but somehow we can relate to, and appreciate their level of commitment to what they do. That is because we have tasted passion ourselves.
                                        Absolutely Soundgravy, couldn't have put it better :T

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                          • Jul 2006

It's all a matter of personal priorities...

Now if I could get my wife to stop buying shoes or purses for a couple for months I'd have my 800D's ...

Comment

• meltdown
                                            • Apr 2006

Hey Baer, hows that 1090 treating you.

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                              • Jul 2006

Well...I still don't have it all back together at my home..
                                              made some other improvements to my equipment stand
                                              and cable upgrades..and other goodies

but it arrived at my dealer in great shape...it looks brand new..
                                              no dust, no blemishes anywhere..fired it up at dealer seems to be working good...I will put it throught its' paces this weekend..

Comment

• meltdown
                                                • Apr 2006

They still have the tuner and cd player that went with that 1090 i noticed yesterday when I was there.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"