X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dermie999
    • Jul 2004

Speaker Advice Please

Hi guys,

Just finding my way around the forum and don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes anyhow. I have a really nice system which comprises:

Rotel RSP 1066 Surround Sound Processor
    RMB 1075 Power Amplifier
    RT 1080 Tuner
    RCD 1070 CD Player
    Yamaha DVD-S520 DVD Player
    Bose 901 Front Speakers
    Subsonic PC-1 Centre Speaker
    M&K V-125 Subwoofer
    Fujitsu P42HHA30WS Plasma Monitor

The RSP 1066 will shortly be upgraded to an RSP 1098 and the Yammy DVD player will shortly be replaced with a hitherto unknown brand DVD player (most likely a Denon 2900). I jokingly curse my Hi Fi supplier for getting me started on the separates path - he forgot to warn me that I would be forever upgrading or maybe he knew and just wanted to keep the cash flowing so didn't tell me.

Anyways after finding this site and seeking advice on the 1098 I received this little piece of advice to start saving to replace the front speakers. This surprised me because I have always loved Bose speakers - had them since I could afford my first high quality stereo and hadn't really noticed that they weren't anything but good.

I'm not seeking advice as to what speakers are better because hell I know that the only way to tell is to listen BUT my question is are the Bose speakers better stereo speakers than HT speakers? I guess it really comes down to am I going to get a better listening experience by replacing the Bose with something else. Now I know you can always get a better listening experience by spending a wad of cash but the question is had a I spent the same money as I did on the Bose 901s (approx $3500 Aussie) would I have got better HT speakers?

BTW my listening is about 60%HT 40% music.

Thanks,

Trevor Turner
    Melbourne, Australia 8)
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

OOH that's pretty subjective.... I might say yes, someone else say's no...who is right? Nobody.

Try listening to a few other brands, especially more expensive/reputable companies lines and compare "the best" to your speakers. From there you can figure out what you feel your Bose' are lacking (or aren't) and then try to find companies who have a reputation of improving on those areas closer to your price range...

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Well as for me I come flat out and say....

No.

Had Bose....got rid of Bose...

In a car....O.K.!

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• dermie999
        • Jul 2004

Can I ask why you got rid of your Bose please Bam?

Comment

• H.T.C
          • Nov 2003

I think a can of worms is going to be opened now!!! I believe most home theater folks will say bose is good for playing load {rock music} but not exactly for subtle (low key music) or classical due too i think to 60db of sound that is not being reproduced {at least in the cube speakers there is a frequency bettween them and the woofer that is not there and someone once said you can shut the cubes down and play the movie through the woofer,not good).

This not does not reflect the new cube systems from bose i have not heard any reports on them.

As far as the bookself type of speakers i think one of the reason(s) is the claim they are made of cheap paper (manilla) cones and not worth the price with also the fact that they dont publish specs.

I understand that the more expensive 901 are good from people that have them,someone with more knowledge will have to reply here to give you a better answer.

Umm, i did not say anything wrong here or against forum rules, its just uneasy talking about certain speakers,thats all.
          Robert

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by dermie999
            Can I ask why you got rid of your Bose please Bam?

Sure!

My pleasure.

Listen I am not the type to say this is junk that is great....For me I had 1983 Bose 301 for 2 channel listening.....I loved them. The bass extension on those puppies :E

Then I moved into HT.....bought 2 more....paid them an arm an a leg because I had to have the same ones!!

So what Happened you asked...

I went into a HiFi store and heard some of my favourite tracks and they sounded so clean....and Oh I remeber it clearly I discovered my first soundstage.... ops:

So I figured O.K. they are too old too many changes have happened....

Went out an bought brand new 301's.....they are built out of plastic :E ...didn' t matter as I was hooked on Bose...

When you put your ear right up to the speaker you'll hear.....it sounds muffled...like a hand in front of your mouth when you talk....as you back away it clears up ...

They do not use the best quality drivers....we all know that....

As for the bidirectional design...the sound bounces off everywhere...helping transparency (which for Joe 6 pack matters....as the salesan says look how they dissappear....but try and get a soundstage...and try and get clean beuatiful highs and great mids.....No way. It won' t happen...

Do a side by side comparison....

You'll see.

That ended my days with Bose....

hey this is just my opinion.......doesn' t make it right or wrong!

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• dermie999
              • Jul 2004

Thanks Bam,

Thats exactly what I was searching for - an opinion based on plausible argument.

"As for the bidirectional design...the sound bounces off everywhere...helping transparency (which for Joe 6 pack matters....as the salesan says look how they dissappear....but try and get a soundstage...and try and get clean beuatiful highs and great mids.....No way. It won' t happen..."

I will be doing some comparisons. Oh and saving some money for my next set of speakers. Why didn't I start out in this forum before I started down the Home Theatre path? lol

Trevor

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"