Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

looking for info on DIY "bass traps" and other accoustic treatments

anyone have any info or experience making there own room treatments
    dont know where to start
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

panels of Owens Corning 703 are the best, if you can find them (usually only sold through commercial, rather than retail, construction material stores). You can wrap them in a nice fabric to make them more aesthetically pleasing.

I could not find any 703 nearby (only in large bulk quantities that I could neither use nor afford) so I went with acoustic drop ceiling tiles made from fibreglass (that's important--the particle board stuff is useless. The fibreglass panels are usually the most expensive ones in a place like Home Depot, though they are not that bad--12 panels 2x4 feet by 5/8 inch thick cost me about 53$CDN--so I imagine, with bigger volume in the States, probably 35$/box. I made two traps at about 4 inches thick with one box, but I plan to double the thickness. Even so, at 4 inches thick I noticed a good deal of improvement--cleaner bass with much better definition on musical instruments like an acoustic standup bass for jazz). I stacked them together and attached them with duct tape (not elegant, but it works) and have some "home-made" bass traps the front corners. I plan to get more (when I have the time) and cover some more corners (make sure the panel thickness is at least 4 inches--6-8 is even better). And someday, I might even be moved to cover them in a nice fabric (on that score, it's no different than using the thicker 703 panels). Real Traps have a website with some good info. They sell stuff, of course, but there is a lot of DIY info on the site and the company owner is pretty generous with free advice.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Thomas W has a very nice page dedicated to this topic. I'm sure you can find the link by using the search function.

I built my own a while back, there's a construction thread around here (I think).
      Danish

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Peter, here is some more reading for you.

Japan, a land of ancient traditions and modern marvels, has given the world a unique form of martial art that stands as a testament to its rich cultural heritage: Sumo Wrestling. This traditional

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Anyone know whatever became of this project? Looks interesting

Link fixed
          Last edited by ThomasW; 20 December 2006, 03:43 Wednesday.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

broken link

Comment

• warnerwh
              • Jan 2006

Go to realtraps.com. Ethan has diy panel traps that are cheap and easy to build. One of my bass traps is known as "quick and dirty" traps.

You get 3 rolls of fiberglass. Make sure all the holes are taped closed. Leave it in the bags. Then stack them using strapping tape to keep them well together. You can use plenty of tape because bass wave lengths are so long it doesn't matter, they'll go right through.

With the 3 high roll of fiberglass get yourself some mdf, Home Depot sells smaller pieces that will fit on the ends, you need two. Cut them round so they will be just a tad larger than the rolls and tape them down to the rolls. Now you need a fabric store for some burlap or some other material, whatever you like, but burlap is cheap and looks fine to me.

Your 3 high stack is just under 4' tall with the end caps on. This is perfect because fabric comes in 4' widths. First cover the fiberglass with some batting if you're concerned that any fiberglass can get out. Then set the burlap flat on the floor, enough to wrap twice so you can't see through it. Set the fiberglass roll on the floor and use a staple gun to put the burlap on with. Pull the burlap tight as you go.

You can now finish or cover the top as it won't be that pretty. Me, I just put a nice cover over the top.

This is a very effective bass trap for only 50 bucks and can look as nice as you care to make it.

Another way is using rigid fiberglass to make panels. Rigid fiberglass you'll need to buy from a building supply house and rigid fiberglass isn't really rigid and it also comes under different names. OC, Owens Corning, usually just costs more. Remember the thicker the better. This is no place to save money due to the fact the amount of improvement gained for what you spend has a very good return on your money. In my opinion it's an excellent return on your investment. No amp, preamp, dac etc can come close to what room treatment and bass traps can do for your sound.

You'll probably find room treatments can make a dramatic effect of the sound quality in your room. Reflections were not on the recording. Please read and watch the videos on realtraps.com. I wish I would have completely treated a room decades ago. It's second next to speakers on how the sound of your system is effected, in other words MAJOR! :W

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Originally posted by warnerwh
                .. in other words MAJOR! :W
                Yes? Somebody call?
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                  Anyone know whatever became of this project? Looks interesting

Link fixed
                  I couldn't get anyone else interested in assisting with the project. The metal mesh turned out to be quite expensive.

Here's my webpage on traps, it includes links and designs from lots of people

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• kgveteran
                    • Oct 2005

I built two of these for about 175.00 .I really need two more , but for now they work fine.The big ones are tough to handle.You may need the assistance of a friend to help roll them.Here is a pic of one of them.Mine are 48" tall and 18" in diameter.
                    Attached Files
                    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• warnerwh
                      • Jan 2006

Thomas: That's an excellent page you have there. Thanks, I'm sure I'll be referring people there.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

kgveteran, what do those weigh for you?
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"