X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ralph
    • Sep 2006

Looking for a pre-amp

I am looking for a stereo preamp for music & wondered if a multi purpose pre would be as good as a seperate one. Looking at maybe a bryston but know nothing about them. Or others for that matter. I have Bryston amps now, and B&W matrix 803's . Price is important since i just purchased a new flat panel TV. Any ideas?
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

hi ralph,

when you say multipurpose are you referring to a prepro like the bryston sp2?

if you looking a dedicated preamp on a budget i have heard both the nuforce p8 and bryston bp6 and thoroughly enjoyed both experiences.

cheers,

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Ralph
      • Sep 2006

Prepro would be OK, but I was thinking just stereo. No frills, just a good controller.

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

what is the rest of your equipment ?. is this to be in as part of a ht setup or purely 2ch ?
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

For a low cost/good performer take a look at the Rotel RC-1070 ($500 new/$300 used). The phono pre gets high marks too if you are a vinyl lover.

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

Check out the "gon" for a nice used ARC pre-amp, LS-16 for example can be had for $1-1300 range. Outside of being a great piece for the $$$ spent it has a "proccesor out" for use with your HT set-up down the road.
            Dave

Comment

• Ralph
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by alebonau
              what is the rest of your equipment ?. is this to be in as part of a ht setup or purely 2ch ?

The amps are bryston, the cd-dvd player right now is a Denon 3910. Speakers are a vintage 803 matrix 2 or is it 3 by B&W. I would like to go HT with it if I could find a decent pre pro that had a good by pass. If not, then just plain stereo. I don't own any sacd's or anything like that.

Comment

• Ralph
                • Sep 2006

OH, no vinyl any more. All gone.

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ralph
                  The amps are bryston, the cd-dvd player right now is a Denon 3910. Speakers are a vintage 803 matrix 2 or is it 3 by B&W. I would like to go HT with it if I could find a decent pre pro that had a good by pass. If not, then just plain stereo. I don't own any sacd's or anything like that.
                  to be honest I'd get a decent CD source too. In regards pre's bryston do some good 2ch pre's also I understand a decent av pre-pro. alternatively you could look at other brands. what are you using now as avr/pre/pro/pre-amp ?

Comment

• Ralph
                    • Sep 2006

to be honest I'd get a decent CD source too. In regards pre's bryston do some good 2ch pre's also I understand a decent av pre-pro. alternatively you could look at other brands. what are you using now as avr/pre/pro/pre-amp ?

I plan to upgrade the cd player later. My pre-pro (if you could call it one) is the sony tae-9000es. It was to be a temporary pre-amp ( got it new for almost a song. & I can't sing) till Krell got the bugs out of the hts1. Well, the hts 2 came out & money got tight & you know the rest. I would like to have the Bryston sp2, but I have not heard one yet & there is no seller here anymore. As a matter of fact, Krell is no longer sold here. just Mac. & Classe. I'm not a Mac fan, and the guys that sell Classe have said the Classe 600 something has been a little buggy. I don't like a front panels without control buttons. It has an LCD.
                    I had a Krell av for a home demo several years ago ( the high dollar one) and every time you walked across the carpet & built uo a static charge & touched the unit, the sound would go crazy. I passed on it.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Ralph
                      Price is important since i just purchased a new flat panel TV. Any ideas?
                      to be honest I'd get a decent CD source too.
                      The Denon 3910 IS a "decent CD source". Now if price were NOT important, the $20,000 Linn CD-12 would be a "decent CD source". :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Rotel, for the Money is excellent and will handle your speakers perfectly for Multichannel music/HT and Stereo, and will go well with your amp if needed!!!!!!!!
                        For a CD player: For the Money, Rotel 1072 for sure, but if you can splurge a little, I would go with LINN !! Universal player for SACD and DVD-A and SVD-Video: Go for Marantz Dv 9600: A Must!!
                        Wish you all the luck!!
                        Cheers.

Comment

• whoaru99
                          • Jul 2004

Rotel, for the Money is excellent and will handle your speakers perfectly for Multichannel music/HT and Stereo, and will go well with your amp if needed!!!!!!!!
                          For a CD player: For the Money, Rotel 1072 for sure, but if you can splurge a little, I would go with LINN !! Universal player for SACD and DVD-A and SVD-Video: Go for Marantz Dv 9600: A Must!!
                          Wish you all the luck!!
                          Cheers.
                          You guys crack me up - "splurge a little" for a $20K player... :lol:
                          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

Whoaru 99,
                            Not the 20K LINN CD player my friend: "Wishfull thinking here".!!!!!!!!!
                            Check LINN official site: They have many CD players that would be economical In price, and at the same time really fantastic CD Players!!
                            Splurge a little would means a couple of hundered bucks, NOT couple of Thousand bucks my dear Mr. Trump!!!! Splurging by one person is different than splurging by another.
                            You might be the TRUMP type of splurger?? And yes ,you are right ,when it comes to your Quote" There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are?? So are you the TRUMP type of Splurger Mr. Whoaru 99??? Is it possible for us to know?? Whoaru,Stands for: Who are you to make that satirical comment??? Check the stats out before you make a comment like you did!!!..My 2 cents,
                            Cheers

Comment

• alebonau
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                              The Denon 3910 IS a "decent CD source". Now if price were NOT important, the $20,000 Linn CD-12 would be a "decent CD source". :>)
                              the 3910 is better than your average budget dvd player for cd replay. but no offence I've heard budget cd players in the ca 640, to a rotel 1072 to even a 10+ year musical fidelity valve old dac do a better job than the 3910 or the denon 2900 on CD. Really well worth gettign a dedicated cd player if planning on a pre and wanting good 2ch.

in regards the pre-pros to get good quality 2ch from an av pre-pro can be expensive. It might be cheaper to go with a 2ch pre with ht bypass and run that with an avr or basic av pre-pro. All comes down to how much you want to spend.

Comment

• DL86
                                • Sep 2005

How about the NO pre amp option. Shanling cd players are some of the best I have heard. Just plug it straight into the amplifier and volume control off the remote control. You can still have a decent processor for HT and not compromise on 2 channel just because you dont have a dedicated 2 channel pre. I absolutly love how my shanling CD-T80 sounds directly connected into the RB-1090. Just use a 2 way stereo RCA input switcher between your main HT processor and the shanling CD player, a really good rca switcher would be the QED IX20.

Comment

• Martyn
                                  • Feb 2006

Instead of replacing the 3910, what about using the digital-out to an external DAC, a passive pre, and then to your existing amp?

Buy a Rotel pre-pro for HT at some future time, or the Arcam 350 if you want better performance. Come to think of it, the Arcam would probably make a decent 2-channel pre-amp anyway.

I don't know how much sense this makes...

Comment

• Phil Rose
                                    • Aug 2000

My pre-pro (if you could call it one) is the sony tae-9000es.
                                    I would like to go HT with it if I could find a decent pre pro that had a good by pass. If not, then just plain stereo.
                                    If you have any intention of doing HT KEEP the SONY!! It's better than you might expect even today and you'd have to spend a whole lot to get the same level of performance. The only real reason to update would be for HDMI switching and the new DD/DTS HD formats when they are available.

My personal journey was from a TA-E9000ES to a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 pre-amp for 2-channel (with HT bypass) The Line 3 did a nice job of smoothing out the HF however the overall sonic signature of the Sony and Line 3 was very similar. I also use have a Sony TA-P9000ES (for MC-SACD) that feeds Bryston 7B-STs to B&W N802s.

I ponder the next move that I might make to simplify the setup and operation of my sytems and consider the Bryston SP2 the most likely direction that I would go. However, I don't think that I'll make that change until DD/DTS HD gets implemented via HDMI on the SP2 or I need to really simplify my system because of space constraints.

So, yes! Get a great 2-channel pre-amp for your system. You'll be very happy that you did.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chinets
                                      Whoaru 99,
                                      Not the 20K LINN CD player my friend: "Wishfull thinking here".!!!!!!!!!
                                      Check LINN official site: They have many CD players that would be economical In price, and at the same time really fantastic CD Players!!
                                      Splurge a little would means a couple of hundered bucks, NOT couple of Thousand bucks my dear Mr. Trump!!!! Splurging by one person is different than splurging by another.
                                      You might be the TRUMP type of splurger?? And yes ,you are right ,when it comes to your Quote" There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are?? So are you the TRUMP type of Splurger Mr. Whoaru 99??? Is it possible for us to know?? Whoaru,Stands for: Who are you to make that satirical comment??? Check the stats out before you make a comment like you did!!!..My 2 cents,
                                      Cheers
                                      Me, a big splurger? Hardly.

Remember I'm one of the (seemingly) very few that have returned a Benchmark DAC because it didn't seem to be enough improvement for me to justify $1K.

I have no shame in saying that I've probably spent more on this hobby than I should have (or will). Total replacement cost for every bit of HT/stereo gear I own would be around $20K, give or take a little. So, while it is a tidy sum (in my world) it has been amassed over a number of years so hardly what I call a big splurge.

My comment was really intended to be a somewhat humourous remark, not any sort of personal attack. Hey, if one can affort to "splurge" on a $20K player, amp, etc, more power to ya. I'd like to have the opportunity one day to actually hear some of that really high-end stuff and swap cables, DACS, etc. :T
                                      Last edited by whoaru99; 27 September 2006, 19:08 Wednesday.
                                      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• chinets
                                        • Jun 2005

Whoaru99,
                                        Sorry, Thought you were personally attacking me for a second.
                                        No hard feelings here! We are here to help Ralph get what he has asked for, and I believe LINN has some great CD players that is all!!
                                        We would all love to splurge as you well put it, but sometimes one has to bite one's tounge not to go over board with all this.
                                        I believe for the biggest bang for the buck ,In the case of Ralph ,that ROTEL is his ONLY route out ,as they have top end equipment at very resonable prices ,well built and asthetically very beautiful In design!!! Check them out, you might be surprised.
                                        Good luck on your search!!!
                                        Whoaru99 take care pal, and No hard feelings whatsover here!!!
                                        Ciao,
                                        Chinets

Comment

• Ralph
                                          • Sep 2006

Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"