X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonB
    • Oct 2005

Best super-budget DVD palyer for audio

I am looking for a very inexpensive DVD player for audio use. Are any of the current model Toshibas as good as the discontinued SD-3950? I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks,

Jason
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

oppo 970

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Both oppo's aren't bad. My 971 sounds about the same as my SB Extigy DAC, that isn't bad.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Hi,

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by 'budget'....!

I'd consider an entry level Marantz (DV4600). You'll pick one up for well under $200 now.

That said, we're back to the old discussion of how you'll hook it up to your receiver.

If you use digital, then the player is pretty much a transport so it all depends on the dac in your reciever - pretty much. If you use the analogue then the dac in the player matters and for that reason, I'm suggesting Marantz as a possibility.

V.
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

This is what NuForce says about the Oppo 970:

In comparing to one of the better SACD/CD player, the $3496 Marantz SA11S1, Oppo DV970HD came hair- closed to Marantz in SACD and CD playback. Marantz was a tad more relax and expansive, but the Oppo hold its own and with plenty of PRaT (Pace, Rhythm and Timbre) that even Marantz couldn't quite match. In fact, using a better audio interconnect could immediately tipped the scale towards the Oppo - it's that closed! With a high-bit-rate DVD-Audio or DVD recording (96/24-bit or 192/24-bit), Oppo was in a class all by itself.

Note: Use the front left/right output and NOT the mixed output for best audio quality sound.

I don't know if it's true; it's just interesting.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"