New HT/Music install...some advice needed !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len73
    • Jan 2005

New HT/Music install...some advice needed !

Hello everyone !

I would like to know if some of this forum users already have had the opportunity to test the Monitor Audio RSW12 subwoofer and to get some feed-back about this sub.

The fact is that I am currently looking to replace my hole HT system. Most of the component have been chosen by now, here is the list :

- Pre : Rotel RSP-1098 (black or silver ???)
    - Amp : Rotel RMB-1075
    - DVD : Denon 3910 (bought last year)
    - Front : Monitor Audio RS8
    - Center : Monitor Audio LCR
    - Rear : either Monitor RS8 or RS6

So about it.

On the other side, my dealer told me that the RSW12 (same family as above mentionned speakers) sound not that good (I did not have the opportunity to listen to it !) and advise me to get a Martin Logan Depth instead... As you probably now, the price between the two is not quite the same, but it is not such an issue anyway as I am willing to keep this system for several years...

Any comment about the above mentionned list as well as about the subs will be highy appreciated !

Many thanks in advance.

Peace,

Len
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Len,

I've not heard the RSW12, but the Depth (and Descent) have been getting some VERY positive reviews. Now to counter that, having a sub from the same mfg. as the speakers can (not will, can) make the blending of the sub easier as the builder can design the sub specifically to complement the speakers. Can you audition the two subs (at your dealer at least)? That's where the you'll be able to tell if the RSW12 will work for you or not.

Personally, I went with a different brand of sub vs. my mains as I liked the sonic performance of the sub I purchased over what was available in the same brand as my mains.

FWIW, I like black equipment over silver as it disappears when the lights go down whereas silver will catch light and reflect it.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

Excellent system.

MA makes great subs that complement their other speakers extremely well... I've not heard that specific model, but it has nothing but good reviews... of course, that means little compared to your actually auditioning it, again highly recommended.

If my choice was strictly the two you're considering, I wouldn't hesitate to get the MA... unless serious auditioning proved the ML to be substantially better for the additional money.

Many of us (including me) have gone the route of the online sub manufacturers, the two main ones being SVS and Hsu... either reprepresents high performance and value... worth investigating.

SVS builds speakers, subwoofers and audio accessories for music and home theater surround sound systems. Proudly engineered in Youngstown, Ohio.

The best value for price home theater systems and subwoofers on the market guaranteed

Oh yeah, color... darth-vader-stealth Black.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"