How would you compare the B&W 604S3 to the Monitor Audio RS8?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adeeb
    • Oct 2004

How would you compare the B&W 604S3 to the Monitor Audio RS8?

Has anyone here been able to listen to both these speakers?

I looking to buy a full set of speakers (5.1) for a dedicated home theater. I was thinking of:

604 S3 (L+R)
    LCR600 S3 (center)
    DS6 S3 (surrounds: i don't have space for floor/stand speakers and i like the idea of the dipole effect)
    PV1 (sub: i know there are much cheaper ones that will give greater depth, but aesthetics matter and i want a small sized sub that doesn't shake the floor too much since i live in an apartment. plus, i have heard that the performance of this sub is very precise)

The room is 4m wide by 5.5m deep.

These will all be driven by the new Arcam AVR350 (with the L+R speakers bi-amped).

However, the Monitor Audio speakers have been reviewed quite well in the press and they are significantly newer than the S3 series. Plus they are slightly more compact and, on paper, seem to out perform the B&W equivalents.

Does anyone have any firsthand feedback comparing the two directions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Adeeb; 20 May 2006, 04:08 Saturday.
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

I'd advise YOU to listen to the speakers if you have the opportunity. The 'age' of the design shouldn't be a major concern, as the 600 series 3 speaker is likely to stay the same for a good number of years.

The sound of the B&Ws vs the Monitor Audios will be something that you ears will have to judge. As I'd imagine you could get arguments in favor of both...

Comment

• Adeeb
      • Oct 2004

Clepto, thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that neither of the speaker sets are available anywhere near me for auditioning. That's why I am looking for comments from people who have listened to both. In the end, whichever set I decide on will need to be shipped to me and that would make returning them a major hassle/expense. So I need to pick right from the start.

Comment

• Clepto
        • Feb 2006

Ah, my condolences then for not being able to audition, half the fun of this hobby! (;

I only have experience with the 602s3, so will not be able to offer much help.

Comment

• subforce
          • Nov 2006

hi i have not heard the monitor audio speakers yet but i do have the 604s3
          @ home and they sound gr8 the mid it life like and the trebel is sweet
          the bass for a froor standing speaker is out of this world they handel everything you give them from jazz to dance music or clasical. ;x(

realy good in my eyes,and the rest of your setup nice!!!!!

i dont know if this will help you but thats my 2 cents.

pls let us know? :T sorry about my spelling ops:

Comment

• wburtis
            • Nov 2006

I have heard the Monitor Audios and I thought the RS6 which is the smaller version sounded great. I am debating between the CM series and Monitor Audio Silver series.

Comment

• Alex999
              • Jun 2006

Cm1.
              Cm1.
              Cm1.

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

hi,

arcam 350 OK,
                sub B&W PV1 great,
                B&W 600 serie ok, but the monitor rs8 is a great speaker (and small too)

Style

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"