X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ED K
    • Apr 2005

Can it really get better? Don't know

While I enjoy the clarity and and overall "sound" of my system, I am wondering if there is more to be had with a different source component. Maybe I'm just looking for something more magical to happen. I'm also considering adding a "reference" DAC to the system to increase the experience. Or am I just an audiophile with too much time on his hands!
    Comments from you would be appreciated and welcomed.

I am using a McIntosh MX135 pre/pro, B&W 802D front L/R speakers, Bryston 7B SST monoblocks, Audioquest ICs and speaker cables and an Arcam FMJ DVD27a player.
    Those who know it all know less than those who don't
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Yes, it can get better. Vinyl for one. Or, if you must have digital, computer to DAC instead of DVD player.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Your equipment is obviously at a very high level. Have you worked on your room?
      Danish

Comment

• ED K
        • Apr 2005

Yes.Well I think so. Have floor to ceiling heavy curtins behind the listening position. Sound traps on the walls in key positions.
        My room is 18X14 with a celing height from 12ft down to 8ft at the back of the room. The floors have carpet. The 802Ds are up on spikes

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

You may get a different sound, but I don't think better will be easy to come by.
          Sounds like your room treatrments are reasonable. Have you tried professional room tuning and EQ? That is, have an acoustician come tweak your setup. I've heard/read that this can make more of an improvement than any component swap.

Comment

• ED K
            • Apr 2005

Have not gone that far. Will be moving in a year or so. i will be building a HT and listening room in the new house. At that point I will be getting the help of a custom designer to help out with the acoustics.I'm really looking forward the new rooms!

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ED K
              Sound traps on the walls in key positions.
              I'm assuming you mean 1st/2nd reflection points? What about corner/bass traps or broadband absorption?
              Danish

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"