X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenee
    • Aug 2006

Got New Toy for 802D's a McIntosh MX135

I just ordered a new McIntosh MX135 anybody have this unit ? Does anybody know any tricks to setting it up with a pair of 802D's. Will be here Friday May 11th. Any suggestions :B
    Glenee
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

So you're going 5.1? What amp(s) do you use?

Comment

• Glenee
      • Aug 2006

:T Right now I have 2 Crown K1 1 for each of the 802 running in mono. 1 k2 running the rears and 1 K2 running the HTM3S center channel running in stereo using one side of it . Rotel 1072 CD, Panasonic DVD, and directv hd20dvr. Hvae been using a Outlaw 990 for the Pre which for the money I think is one of the best Pre\Proc on the market. :B
      Glenee
      Last edited by Glenee; 09 May 2007, 14:18 Wednesday. Reason: missed info

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Glenee
        :T Right now I have 2 Crown K1 1 for each of the 802 running in mono. 1 k2 running the rears and 1 K2 running the HTM3S center channel running in stereo using one side of it . Rotel 1072 CD, Panasonic DVD, and directv hd20dvr. Hvae been using a Outlaw 990 for the Pre which for the money I think is one of the best Pre\Proc on the market. :B
        Glenee
        How do you like the Crown Amps? I have a QSC that I used with horns and it was very nice (horns are tough too - tend to be harsh with poor amps). I have a Crown D75 that is also very nice, super low distortion.

Comment

• Glenee
          • Aug 2006

The K Series amps have been discontinued from the crown line but still can be found on ebay and places. They are a sealed amp and no fans. They use the same input circuitry of the Late Crown Reference series. Lots of power have to be careful when setting up, but as we all know the 802D's drop to about a 3.4 ohm load half the time so you have to put some meat behind them to make"em sing. Stubborn little rascals they are that. Would have to be something really good to trade the Kseries on B&W
          speakers. Love the way they whip their ass and make"em sing to the heavens. Loud and Clear.
          Glenee

Comment

• jericho
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Glenee
            I just ordered a new McIntosh MX135 anybody have this unit ? Does anybody know any tricks to setting it up with a pair of 802D's. Will be here Friday May 11th. Any suggestions :B
            Glenee
            I also have a MX-135 on a pair of 800D's.Why did not you go for the MX-136???If I could sell mine, I would go for the MX-136 with HDMI switching.

Comment

• jlr_1304
              • Aug 2005

MX-136 will only do HDMI switching. No 5.1 LPCM thru HDMI.

I wouldnt go with either of them. Try an anthem D2 or anything that would do LPCM thru hdmi .

Comment

• jericho
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jlr_1304
                MX-136 will only do HDMI switching. No 5.1 LPCM thru HDMI.

I wouldnt go with either of them. Try an anthem D2 or anything that would do LPCM thru hdmi .
                That's correct but I don't think you can compare MCIntosh, Classé, Krell, ML with Anthem Processors, If you want an upgradeable processor, go for Lexicon

Comment

• Glenee
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jericho
                  I also have a MX-135 on a pair of 800D's.Why did not you go for the MX-136???If I could sell mine, I would go for the MX-136 with HDMI switching.
                  I don't have the money some people do, no problem just facts. 4K for MX135(closeout) and 8K for MX136. Not a lot of decision making just money. Maybe someday i can get close to what I paid for the MX135 and upgrade. But for now this will have to be the way it is. I am Happy been a long wait for this kind of Quality.
                  Happy, Lov"in every minute of it.
                  Glenee :T :B :P :W

Comment

• scanido
                    • Apr 2006

Glenee,

What would you be comparing the Mcintosh with? The reason i ask is, I too am looking at going the Mac route and am curious to know how you find the MX135 in comparison to others. I would be using a Mac Pre/Pro and Mac multi-amp (MC205) for both HT and 2CH. I hope at this level there are not much comprises and only pure sound quality bliss!

Comment

• Glenee
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                      Glenee,

What would you be comparing the Mcintosh with? The reason i ask is, I too am looking at going the Mac route and am curious to know how you find the MX135 in comparison to others. I would be using a Mac Pre/Pro and Mac multi-amp (MC205) for both HT and 2CH. I hope at this level there are not much comprises and only pure sound quality bliss!
                      Scandio, I don't have the unit yet. It is coming UPS. When I get it give me about a week or so. I will know more then and can give you an honest opinion, the good thing is I am not one to rave about something just because I bought it. I just hope its better in my home than the Outlaw 990 I'm running now. Every time I listened to McIntosh and Classe on the B&W 802D's at the dealer. I liked the sound of McIntosh over the others,just my 52 year old ears and me are paying for it. So I got what sounded good to me.
                      Glenee

Comment

• johan
                        • Dec 2004

Glenee,
                        Use both channels in your center amp an biamp the HTM3.

I'm shure your new Mac will sound great with your B&W's.

Johan.

Comment

• Glenee
                          • Aug 2006

Well got some news for you guys on the MX135. It does do 2-Channel better than my OUTLAW 990. It has a certain smoothness about it that I have never heard in any other unit. The midrange is better than anything I have heard the in my 40 yrs of messing with this stuff. Womens voices are as real and as close to a live concert I have ever been around. It was very easy to set up in the menu section even though I read the entire manual on a download before the unit arrived I could of done this one without the manual. The sound was such a change to my better liking that I purchase d a McIntosh MVP861 to go with it. Now this thing is really something. It turned all my old CD's to better sounding with more information, better soundstage,(blah,blah,blah). Bad thing is the Unit has some software flaws and is being replaced with a new one by my dealer next week. Hope all works out cause this thing has some real promise. Now the Bad. For HT the unit is very clear you can hear them drinking water on screen. It just does not have the Dynamics that the 990 had for HT. The Outlaw 990 is the winner right now unless I can figure something out to make it better. Bottom line is it worth 6 times the price of the 990? Not to most people. But if this is what the McIntosh sound is all about I like it.
                          Glenee

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Glenee,

I've got the MX135 and 802D's. Love the sound. I use the McIntosh Preamp C2200 which is a combo tube/SS unit for Stereo Listening as no Processor should do the work a dedicated Preamp can do.

I had the Lexicon MC12NB before and I actually like the MX135 better. The Lex had too many ways to set up too many options on too many modes that really no one ever uses. In the end I love the HT and feel the surrounds more present than I did with the Lex.

Rich warm music, mids are present, timbre is great, maybe less detail in the very treble end, but overall sound you can listen to for long periods. YUP Mac is back and they sound good.

Important note: I found cables to be of the utmost importance with the MC501's and the entire Mc setup with the 802D's. I plunked down a load for some Highend cables and new sounds appeared.

MX136 why waste your money. The Hdmi is not really an upscaled 1080p nor is it 1.3 so its already depasse.

The future of HT will be (remember I said it) 2 separate units in the high end arena. Personally I use a DVDO Upscaler for the hub and ALL video connections and would never use a processor for video. Upscaling to 1080p 1.3.

Actually McIntosh was the first to separate the power supply idea from the Preamp with their C100, then everybody in the industry followed suit.

McIntosh has announce their top end models coming out maybe in the summer the Vp1000 and Ap1000 = Audio Processor $9k and Video Processor $9k each staying in their realm. This is the way of the future

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"