X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ED K
    • Apr 2005

advice on adding a DAC

I'm looking to add a DAc to my system. While I use it for HT, I also like to do two channel when listing to music. Was thinking of adding the new Musical Fidelity KW DAC. Has anyone out there used this DAC yet or have other suggetions?
    My music system consists of
    B&W 802Ds L/R
    Bryston 7B SST monoblocks
    Mcintosh MX135 pre/pro
    Arcam FMJ DVD 27a CD/DVD player
    Those who know it all know less than those who don't
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ED K
    I'm looking to add a DAc to my system. While I use it for HT, I also like to do two channel when listing to music. Was thinking of adding the new Musical Fidelity KW DAC. Has anyone out there used this DAC yet or have other suggetions?
    My music system consists of
    B&W 802Ds L/R
    Bryston 7B SST monoblocks
    Mcintosh MX135 pre/pro
    Arcam FMJ DVD 27a CD/DVD player

Lovely setup Ed!

I presume tho' you're talking about the MF kW DM25 DAC?

The KW DM25 DAC is based on the system used in the kW SACD, which I had the pleasure to home evaluate a while back. A lovely, clean sounding player.

I didn't buy it, I went with the Esoteric X-03 instead but it did leave an it's memory etched. It was a really close call.

Anyhow, that's the the closest opinion I can offer on the kW DAC.

Options? The one that springs to mind is the Chord DAC64. It's part of the amazing looking Choral series and I heard the range at my local dealer. It's priced a little cheaper than the kW DAC too.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• ED K
      • Apr 2005

Thanks Vincent for your suggestion. My dealer is getting a Musical fidelity KW DM25 in for me to use for about a week (great dealer). I like my system now but I always seem to be looking for that tweek that will make it sound even better. I have another dealer (not as good) that carries Chord. Will have to see if he will let me try it out without buying it first.

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Hi Ed,

Just curious. Do you plan to keep the FMJ as your transport or upgrade any time soon?

V.
        Vincent.

Comment

• ED K
          • Apr 2005

Thinking of trying the Arye player(dealer demo). Any suggestions?

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ED K
            Thinking of trying the Arye player(dealer demo). Any suggestions?
            Don't have any experience with Ayre, so can't comment there. Did you try the matching MF kW DM25 transport? If my experience with the kW SACD is anything to go by, It should be a special combo. Are you just after CD or is multichannel/DVD a requirement also?

I went through a similar process a while back when looking for a new player and settled with a player from Esoteric. Given what you're looking to spend, I'd really recommend that you listen to them, although I'm not sure at how deep they've pentrated the US market and if it will fit you're budget for that matter.

I fell in love with them dring a trip to Japan a few years back and I learned one thing. We might think we know what Japanese electronics are all about - mass production, but we don't. They take the craft of high end hifi to a different level, where cost is irrelevant. If I had the funds, anything by Zanden would do. You should see/hear their CD/DAC combo. It's special.

Edit - Just found this. Here's what 6Moons have to say about the X-03....

Last edited by Alloroc; 09 March 2006, 18:55 Thursday.
            Vincent.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"