X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunggipark
    • Sep 2004

FMJ A22 w/ DAVE or AV Receiver for HT?

I recently aquired an Arcam FMJ A22 with DAVE and need to decide whether I should get a 3 channel amp or moderately priced AV reciever (Marantz 4400 or 5400 or equivalent) to pair with the Arcam in order to get 5.1 Home Theater.

I'm thinking the dedicated AV reciever will be less expensive and have more updated options for HT. And for HT, it seems there isn't much difference in sound quality - and Arcam's strong point has never been HT.

Any thoughts?

Also, could someone post a step by step instruction on how to connect and setup the FMJ A22 to an AV Reciever, especially on how to determine the gain (do you need to use an SPL meter?).

Thanks in advance.
  • sunggipark
    • Sep 2004

bump

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Patrick
      I recently aquired an Arcam FMJ A22 with DAVE
      First off, what is DAVE?

Second, if you have an Arcam FJM series component, I'm guessing the sound quality of music is a priority for you. Is that true of movies, too? If so, for a mid-range-priced AV receiver, Marantz is a good choice. You may not get all the latest bells and whistles, but at that price-point the sound quality will generally be quite pleasing. Having said that, if at all possible, go and listen to the unit you are considering and take along a DVD you are very familiar with for the listening session. The proof is in the hearing!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Feb 2002

Don't stop at the 5400...have a hard look at the 5500....
        You will get as close to all the bells and whistles you'll need:

FEATURES
        MULTICHANNEL SURROUND
        THX Select -
        THX Ultra -
        THX Ultra II -
        THX Surround EX -
        DTS X
        DTS ES ( matrix & Discrete) X
        DTS 96/24 X
        Dolby Digital X
        Dolby Digital-Ex X
        Dolby Prologic, DPLII, DPLIIx X
        Circle Surround II X
        HDCD Decoder -

They didn't say it but Dolby Headphone as well.

See link here:
        Shop the Marantz™ official site. Founded by legendary acoustic expert Saul Marantz. Discover exceptional AV with our receivers, amplifiers, & more.

if at all possible, go and listen to the unit you are considering and take along a DVD you are very familiar with for the listening session.
        If at all possible, go a step further and see if you can take it home for a demo (2 nights (or more) would be ideal because it'll take you the first night just to get your bearings and the second night to go through a lot of listening and playing around)
        Last edited by Gordon Moore; 17 November 2004, 22:30 Wednesday.
        Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• sunggipark
          • Sep 2004

Dave

Originally posted by David Meek
          First off, what is DAVE?

DAVE is an add on module for the FMJ A22 and Alpha 10 which allows it to function as a HT 5.1 processor. You also need to add on a 3 channel amp to power your center and surround speakers.

Comment

• sunggipark
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
            Second, if you have an Arcam FJM series component, I'm guessing the sound quality of music is a priority for you. Is that true of movies, too? If so, for a mid-range-priced AV receiver, Marantz is a good choice.

My impression is that most HT Receivers do movies well regardless of the brand or general price point (in other words, high priced AV Recievers are only a little better than their mid-priced competitors.) The increased cost comes from more power, functions, and stereo quality.

Am I correct in believing this? Is it worth it to buy a Rotel or B&K if all I am using itis for HT?

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well, not all HT receivers are created equal. Some have a much brighter sound than others, while some have a rolled-off quality. Most importantly, you need one that reproduces the center channel clearly. If the vocals aren't clean, what's the point of watching a movie? Okay, I'm being simplistic here, but that's the bottom line. Clean, clear, pleasant reproduction of the film's soundtrack is a must, and many lower-end units don't get the job done IMO. Marantz is a good starting point, but do listen to several brands-models before you leap - you'll be surprised at the variance in sound quality.

Also, listening to other choices will make it easier to decide if you want to go the other direction, ie. a separate amp.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by sunggipark
                DAVE is an add on module for the FMJ A22 and Alpha 10 which allows it to function as a HT 5.1 processor. You also need to add on a 3 channel amp to power your center and surround speakers.
                Not familiar with DAVE, and I'm probably misunderstanding the whole setup, but...

If this add-on includes DD/DTS 5.1 processing (which on an Arcam should be of high quality), why would you need an entire addtional HT receiver?... it seems all you would need is the 3-channel amp.

Color me 'confused'......
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• sunggipark
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by gd
                  Not familiar with DAVE, and I'm probably misunderstanding the whole setup, but...
                  Here is an Arcam link that explains DAVE.

Originally posted by gd
                  If this add-on includes DD/DTS 5.1 processing (which on an Arcam should be of high quality), why would you need an entire addtional HT receiver?... it seems all you would need is the 3-channel amp.
                  Yes, the processing chip is very qood quality but it is 4 or 5 years old, hence old HT technology (seems like poor bass management - not as dynamic as current proccessors).

The choice between getting a 3 channel amp or a separate HT receiver is the exact dilemna I'm facing. The matching 3 channel amp for the FMJ A22 would cost another $1200 minimum. For that kind of money, I could get a very nice 7.1 HT receiver and use the A22 as a dedicated stereo unit. However, this means more speakers, more space, and even more money.

Heck, at this point, I am considering getting rid of the A22 and buying an all in one AV receiver (Rotel, B&K, or the like) and give up some of the stereo music quality that the Arcam delivered. I'm guessing it would be a considerable downgrade.

Anyone have any opinions?

Comment

• gd
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by sunggipark
                    the processing chip is very qood quality but it is 4 or 5 years old, hence old HT technology (seems like poor bass management - not as dynamic as current proccessors).
                    Now I get it... thanks for the link.

Having understood that -- and assuming the Arcam drives your fronts to your satisfaction -- it seems your original plan of an add-on HT receiver makes sense... and just because you may get a 7.1 receiver doesn't mean you can't operate in 5.1... Marantz is an excellent choice... and with that budget, also look into the Rotel RSX-1056.

Alternatively, if bass management is the only weakness of DAVE, you might consider this highly-regarded outboard analog BM by Outlaw http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/icbm.html , along with a decent used amplifier for center and rears... although there aren't that many 3-ch amps out there... check Audiogon.

Happy hunting... good luck.
                    greg (gd to you)
                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"