Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by wettou
    Please stop the Christmas songs the US is too international .....
    Sorry wettou...
    If a genius songwriter and rocker like Aimee Mann can put out a Christmas album then it is officially cool. 8)
    My Christmas CD recommendation. Very listenable and not syrupy.

Anyways doesn't everyone have a Christmas album out? The Beatles? Zepp?
    Russ

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
      It's music! That what's this thread is about. IMO anyone's welcome to post any kind of music they like. "Merry Christmas!," :B but also "Happy Holidays!," "Happy Kawanza!," "Happy Hanukkah!" and so forth, in no particular order. P.S. I respect of all religious beliefs! I embrace diversity and religious freedom.
      Alleluia, yes it's all good. I am just saying Stores should then put a mix of holiday song instead of just "Christmas= Christmastide honors the birth of Jesus" It's an insult to every one else who doesn't celebrate and recognze Jesus a man as a god that's all. :rofl:
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Maybe I worded that poorly ... my bad. And most people would probably agree that Christmas is over commercialized, but they advertise Happy Holidays in the States mostly, as to include everyone. Anyone should be welcome to post the music they like, religious or otherwise. There are all kinds of religious music on Amazon.com of all different faiths - Jewish, Islam, and so on. Forums are a great way to share and learn.
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

It's an insult to every one else who doesn't celebrate and recognze Jesus a man as a god that's all. :rofl:
          I'm not insulted that you don't recognize the divinity of Jesus or whatever beliefs you hold. And those who do believe Jesus as a God and also as a human do not intend to insult others. All faiths have their figures who are partly or wholly God-like. Buddha, the Buffalo for the Plains Lakota and so on. We need to end this bland political correctness that turns life into meaningless homogeneity. We need to celebrate our diversity and yet not stifle the majority in a land who believe in a particular faith. I don't think my post about Aimee Mann's Christmas CD should be considered an insult by anyone. I also don't think she has to put out a CD with a balanced selection of tunes from all beliefs. They are songs from her tradition. As Aimee sings in the first song on her CD "Whatever Happened To Christmas?" Forget Happy Holidays-that could mean summer holidays or Lincoln's B-Day. Long live Happy Hanukkah and Happy B-Day of the White Buffalo calf and... Yes... dare I say it Merry Christmas!
          Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Just want to note, I wasn't intentionally defending political correctness. People should feel free to say what they like be it "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greatings" or ....
            I kind of took a dig at wettou, with the smiley, as joke in my post - that was "My Bad." I'm Not defending wettou though. I'm moving along now.

This is my favorite of Roger Waters solo work, and I'll even go so far as to put it up there with "The Wall" and "Dark Side." Listen to it a couple of times and you might just get hooked.

Edit: I was just looking at the credits and saw Jeff Beck did guitar work on just about every cut, and solos on the first track.
            Last edited by Johnloudb; 20 December 2008, 10:51 Saturday.
            John unk:

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Bah, humbug!

I'm going to listen to a Christmas album this week and it's going to be Robert Earle Keen.

Nigel.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

Just want to note, I wasn't intentionally defending political correctness. People should feel free to say what they like be it "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greatings" or ....
                I didn't think you were...
                Russ

Comment

• Johnloudb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
                  Bah, humbug!
                  What?! You don't like "Amused to Death?" Roger Waters said he was "Immensely Proud" of that and put it on par with "The Wall." It's definitely different, but I really like it.

Well, here's my Christmas pick: Bruckner's Mass No.3. I just don't how to explain this - it has the most gorgeous choral work, but that doesn't say enough. He wrote this as a thank you to God. This interpretation by Eugen Jochum is very good, good sonics too. It has all three of his Masses.

John unk:

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

What?! You don't like "Amused to Death?"
                    No, not at all John. If I am responding to a specific post then I always quote it first.

Nigel.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

ops: Yeah, I wasn't sure if that commentary or not.
                      John unk:

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
                        I'm not insulted that you don't recognize the divinity of Jesus or whatever beliefs you hold. And those who do believe Jesus as a God and also as a human do not intend to insult others. All faiths have their figures who are partly or wholly God-like. Buddha, the Buffalo for the Plains Lakota and so on. We need to end this bland political correctness that turns life into meaningless homogeneity. We need to celebrate our diversity and yet not stifle the majority in a land who believe in a particular faith. I don't think my post about Aimee Mann's Christmas CD should be considered an insult by anyone. I also don't think she has to put out a CD with a balanced selection of tunes from all beliefs. They are songs from her tradition. As Aimee sings in the first song on her CD "Whatever Happened To Christmas?" Forget Happy Holidays-that could mean summer holidays or Lincoln's B-Day. Long live Happy Hanukkah and Happy B-Day of the White Buffalo calf and... Yes... dare I say it Merry Christmas!
                        AMEN :B
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                          • Dec 2006

It's an insult to every one else who doesn't celebrate and recognze Jesus a man as a god that's all. :rofl:
                          Christmas in stores has nothing to do with religion.

Seriously. If it sold sweaters and dvd's, they'd be playing death metal.

If you want to be offended, be offended at the horrid music they play in grocery stores.

Be offended my musak.

Take offense at how record companies only sign bands that "sound like...." and ignore original or new sounds.

On that note... If you want some Christmas cheer, I suggest (and I think I have before) Duke Ellington's take on the Nutcracker Suite. Great jazz.
                          Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

As always, a quintessential recommendation from the 'T'- man

This album has been getting a lot spin-time at my house this season.

_

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                              On that note... If you want some Christmas cheer, I suggest (and I think I have before) Duke Ellington's take on the Nutcracker Suite. Great jazz.
                              Will be re-released on vinyl in April 2009-HERE May be a good Christmas gift idea for next year.
                              Russ

Comment

• Russ L
                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna

I'm very tempted...can pick up a unopened copy for $30. Although its on the Phoenix label not the Holiday label. I wonder if the Phoenix is as good?
                                Russ

Comment

• Russ L
                                  • Jul 2006

Dave Stewart Songbook Vol. 1 [2008]

Dave Stewart has recorded and written with a long list of talented people over many years. His reworkings of those songs on this album are brilliant. BUT, the sonics on this CD are very disappointing. They are not superb but average at best. Thats surprising since Dave is a record producer and is closely linked with B&W's "Society of Sound". The reason I purchased the CD trusting and expecting better.
                                  Just a friendly warning since you may have got an e-mail from B&W's Music Club today like I did promoting Dave's CD.
                                  Russ

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna

Huh... just located it on Amazon, but it's no longer in production.
                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

I'm very tempted...can pick up a unopened copy for $30. Although its on the Phoenix label not the Holiday label. I wonder if the Phoenix is as good?
                                      The pic is off of ebay, I got my used copy from Jerry's Used Records here in Pittsburgh fo $4. First side has some surface noise, but side 2 is pristine on this Holiday label issue HDV.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• planitismetal
                                        • Dec 2008

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon from the Mobile Fidelity...

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Anika Moa - "In Swings The Tide" (2008 )

I bought this for my wife for Xmas.

Nigel.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Russ L
                                            • Jul 2006

Anika Moa - "In Swings The Tide" (2008 )

I bought this for my wife for Xmas.

Nigel.
                                            I like that fans can go to her website and listen to all the songs in good quality files from her new album before deciding to purchase. Anika is an enchanting singer who helps redeem Pop music's often maligned reputation. No formulas here. The orchestrations and back up singing are some of the highlights.

Hopefully she will become better known outside of NZ. People need to hear this artist's music.
                                            Russ

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by planitismetal
                                              In SACD multichannel the most unbelievable disc :T :B

Comment

• David Meek
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

Ahhhhh. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

'Tis a good one. I still prefer Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, but DSOTM is great too.
                                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• bung99
                                                    • Nov 2005

Serena Ryder - Is It O.K.? [2008]

All original tunes from the folk/rocker with the smoky 3 octave singing voice. She has a big following in Canada and OZ. US release date Feb. 2009 but available now on Amazon Canada.
                                                    Great Album got mine from Canada and thanks for the notification.
                                                    I have seen her live here in Aus & have the previous Cds but this is GREAT the best yet. Neko Case would be similar but look out here comes a storm. If they give it a push it here in Aus it will take off.

Comment

• Russ L
                                                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by bung99
                                                      Great Album got mine from Canada and thanks for the notification.
                                                      I have seen her live here in Aus & have the previous Cds but this is GREAT the best yet. Neko Case would be similar but look out here comes a storm. If they give it a push it here in Aus it will take off.
                                                      NP. Serena is very bright, charming and has a great heart. It shows in her music. :T
                                                      Russ

Comment

• Russ L
                                                        • Jul 2006

Jeff Beck Performing This Week...Live At Ronnie Scott's [Live] [2008]

Couldn't wait for the release on DVD. All the talk about Beck getting better with age are true. He is at his best performing for an audience.

Thanks to Nigel for this one.
                                                        Russ

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Jeff Lorber - "Heard That" (2008 )

Some great feel-good smooth jazz to relax to on a hot Cape Town summers eve.

The album is supported by a rhythm section of Alex Al and Lil John Roberts plus a strong guest list including Gerald Albright, Rick Braun and Paul Jackson Jr. It is produced by Jeff Lorber and long time friend, veteran keyboardist Rex Rideout. "Heard That" is amply infused with a pop, jazz, R&B, and Blues flavor, and naturally has that classic Lorber signature taste of 80's Fusion sound running through it all. Awesome stuff imho!

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                            'Tis a good one. I still prefer Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, but DSOTM is great too.
                                                            Love Over Gold and especially Private Investigations!! This was my first track that I have listened in 1992 in a hi-end setup and it was the first time I have heard the breaking glass... And after 16 years, here I am with my setup!!!

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2005

Here's one from left of field that had me hooked all last year and am listening right now...

Bon Iver - "For Emma, Forever Ago"

My other most-played record is by a band Fleet Foxes(self-titled).

Both are 'must-haves', imo.
                                                              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                • Dec 2006

Not so much the entire CD, but the song Today Is the Day by Apollo Sunshine.

If you need a pick me up, it's great. An ultimate happy day song.

From The Album "APOLLO SUNSHINE" (2005)Directed By Sean Aylward

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2005

Another fantastic album from last year with probably the best the funkiest single of the year too.

Their sound is imo, perfect psychedellic, progressive rock/pop - with bags of great synth riffs.

MGMT - 'Oracular Spectacular'

Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2008

Makis Ablianitis - Bahar

Everybody has to listen to this cd!! Greek composer, ethnick-jazz, with very nice recording!!

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

Georgios, that sounds interesting as I've never heard ethnic Greek jazz. So it's on order, although the best price I can find in the 'States is US$23.

Comment

• planitismetal
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2008

Yes, here in Greece costs 22€~29$...!!!!!! All the cd's have this price hear except old stuff from non famous groups... Because Queen-Flash Gordon costs 29$...!!! We are very rich here :M :M :rofl:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 5673

Makis Ablianitis - Bahar

Everybody has to listen to this cd!! Greek composer, ethnick-jazz, with very nice recording!!
                                                                          I am ordering this one as soon as I finish browsing HTG.

Thanks for the tip!
                                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                            • 2649

Todd Wolfe - "Borrowed Time" (2008 )

I'm feeling lazy so here's the Amazon product description...

An edgy, adventurous, boundary-pushing group that mixes original material with Howlin' Wolf and Robert Johnson chestnuts. They have shared the bill with the likes of the Allman Brothers, Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, Dickey Betts, Peter Frampton, Sonny Landreth, and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, to name a few.

It's pretty good.

Nigel.
                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2007
                                                                              • 1877

Todd Wolfe - "Borrowed Time" (2008 )

I'm feeling lazy so here's the Amazon product description...

An edgy, adventurous, boundary-pushing group that mixes original material with Howlin' Wolf and Robert Johnson chestnuts. They have shared the bill with the likes of the Allman Brothers, Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, Dickey Betts, Peter Frampton, Sonny Landreth, and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, to name a few.

It's pretty good.

Nigel.
                                                                              If it was "Really Good" you'd write a thoughtful description. But, "Pretty Good" get's Amazon. I know, you're tired. :Z :B
                                                                              John unk:

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2005
                                                                                • 2649

If it was "Really Good" you'd write a thoughtful description. But, "Pretty Good" get's Amazon. I know, you're tired. :Z :B
                                                                                Good guess but not so. (1) dinner was 2 minutes away and (2) it was my first listen so it's a bit risky doing the big rave.

Nigel.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2007
                                                                                  • 1877

Ahhh ... Yep, my stomach always comes first too.
                                                                                  John unk:

Comment

• Opus007
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2007
                                                                                    • 454

The Allman Brothers Band .Eat A Peach.
                                                                                    Love that southern rock..... :T
                                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2006
                                                                                      • 357

Derek Trucks has a new album out.

WOOOOOOooOOoOoooOOOOOT.

Already Free.

I am listening to it right now and I must say I was worried it would be a let down.

It is not. More than Songlines, his guitar playing is featured here, and the choices of songs are terrific.

YOU

MUST

GO

BUY

THIS

RECORD.

Or not. I mean, if you hate music.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 2649

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                                                                                        Derek Trucks has a new album out.

Already Free.
                                                                                        What a coincidence Eric. Mine arrived today. I've only listened to track 1.

Nigel.
                                                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                                          • 2649

Kasey Chambers - "Rattlin' Bones" (2008 )

What a lovely album this is. Kasey is an Australian singer/songwriter with a great voice. This album features just her and her husband Shane Nicholson with whom she wrote all the songs. They are well crafted songs too. Alt country with a touch of bluegrass. This CD will definitely get another spin.

Nigel.
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Aug 2000
                                                                                            • 8938

Nigel 'n Eric,

How's the Derek Trucks album sitting after a few plays? I've got another CD order building and I keep putting this one on it and then taking it off.
                                                                                            .

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"